Healthcare

Do you pay your own insurance?

• Yes

Votes: 14 17.3%
  • No but I have health insurance because of family/government

Votes: 49 60.5%
  • No, and I don't have health insurance.

Votes: 18 22.2%

• Total voters
But the thing is that we don't 'choose' to be poor. It wasn't me and my dad's fault that we were scammed into PPI, a ****ty house that my dad can barely afford to SELL as well as keep up with the mordage and bills, and that my mum ran off with my siblings and all of my dad's money. Seems very offensive to say that because we and many other people like me are barely surviving, we don't mean **** to you or the States, because it was all our fault.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Sorry that I can't help but roll my eyes, twitch and gag when I read that, but I have nearly died multiple times and I am extremely thankful for the people who have no problem with their taxes going towards the healthcare of people like me.
I'd rather have my taxes invested in saving lives than used for the army which kills people in wars. Funny how I'm seeing people complain about the first thing but not the second one.

Last edited:
What, do you think I grew up rich? No, I grew up quite like you, maybe even in worse conditions. I lived in a ****ty, run down, roach infested house as a child that the state of Oklahoma built on an old landfill without telling anyone (not just my house, my whole neighborhood). I got a terrible fungal infection on my scalp and other parts of my body just from playing outside. It wasn't until my grandmother threatened to take my two brothers and I away from my mom that we moved to Texas where she lived. I had a nice life living with her for a few years, then we moved and, once again, I didn't have enough food in the house, bills went unpaid and I went without a lot of things like new clothes, new shoes, school supplies, hot water and medical care.

Why was I so poor? Because my parents were highschool dropouts that chose to do meth and get ****faced every night instead of taking care of me or working someplace other than a fast food joint. My dad eventually (kind of) got his **** together and became an aircraft mechanic, but still got so drunk almost every night that he hospitalized himself after vomiting blood from all the ulcers that constantly drinking had formed in his esophagus and stomach.

Now, I don't know you, and I don't know where exactly your parents went wrong, but you're in the situation you're in for a reason. You're just their kid so I'm not blaming you or saying you're ****. But if, for example, my boyfriend's dad can go from being a homeless 15 year old living in his truck and having to bathe in gas station bathrooms to being a self taught genius of a programmer making more than $200,000 a year and living in a 6 bedroom house, then your parents, like mine, could have tried harder and avoided the hardship and poverty they brought upon themselves. That's not easy to hear when it comes to the people you love, but the truth isn't usually easy to swallow.

The point of that mess is that you get from life what you put into it, and no matter where you start out, there's always a way up with enough hard work and dedication. That being said, you should work hard and be responsible for yourself so you can give yourself a good life, rather than relying on others. You're capable. Your parents are capable. Work hard and you won't live the life you're living for very much longer.

not everyone is in ur situation.

obviously society needs people to work like im not saying people shouldnt work But everyone deserves to be able to live and get stuff like healthcare and education. those are basic things that everyone should have.

youre talking about an ideal society where everyone would be able to suppoet themselves at all times. real life isn't like that, people get sick, get into bad situations (that may or may not be caused by their stupid decisions but people still deserve to live), have their house burn down, get fired from their jpb and not being able to find a new one and so on.
that's when we need society and a social safety net.

not everyone is in ur situation.

obviously society needs people to work like im not saying people shouldnt work But everyone deserves to be able to live and get stuff like healthcare and education. those are basic things that everyone should have.

youre talking about an ideal society where everyone would be able to suppoet themselves at all times. real life isn't like that, people get sick, get into bad situations (that may or may not be caused by their stupid decisions but people still deserve to live), have their house burn down, get fired from their jpb and not being able to find a new one and so on.
that's when we need society and a social safety net.

For the third time now, investing in a charitable non-profit organization is better for the ones in need than government subsidized healthcare because those donating money have control over what their money goes towards. As a donor, you can ensure that the charity you're funding works their asses off to help those in need (if they don't, you fund a charity that will).

You have no say in where your money goes when the government forces you to pay into a healthcare system, and a portion of the money taken from you will always go to paying government employees whose jobs should be left to charities in the first place. When you fund a charity, ALL of the money goes towards their cause.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I feel like we have a debate team, with Forestyne and visible ghost leading the others

- - - Post Merge - - -

Ugh it gets annoying seeing the same people arguing over and over again like just get off the thread and respect other opinions...

Stopping at respecting opinions isn't very productive, though. I understand that talking to someone with a completely different opinion than yours can feel like talking to a brick wall, but debating issues is a good thing.

Last edited:
For the third time now, investing in a charitable non-profit organization is better for the ones in need than government subsidized healthcare because those donating money have control over what their money goes towards. As a donor, you can ensure that the charity you're funding works their asses off to help those in need (if they don't, you fund a charity that will).

You have no say in where your money goes when the government forces you to pay into a healthcare system, and a portion of the money taken from you will always go to paying government employees whose jobs should be left to charities in the first place. When you fund a charity, ALL of the money goes towards their cause.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Stopping at respecting opinions isn't very productive, though. I understand that talking to someone with a completely different opinion than yours can feel like talking to a brick wall, but debating issues is a good thing.

hhhh but the government exists to make sure everyone has their rights and everyone is doing okiedokie. charities shouldnt do the work of the government.

this is kinda what im talking about
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rights-based_approach_to_development

- - - Post Merge - - -

like, makinh sure that there is a government funded and regulatibg system is better than to rely on charities

Healthcare is none of the government's business in my opinion. I can understand temporarily providing benefits for people that are down on their luck or people that are sick to the point they can't work, but as far as the average working individual, they should be responsible for themselves. Maybe you're just for bigger government and services made "free" by stealing from citizens, but I'm for limited government interference in peoples' lives.

I think the government should handle the military because the protect us all from foreign invasion, maintenance of the roadways we all drive on, maintenance of the land we all live on, management of things like prescription drugs made available to citizens (only when it comes to preventing drugs with life threatening side effects from entering the market), enacting laws (when voted on by citizens) and maybe a few other things that haven't come to mind just yet.

Anyways im glad i live in sweden where people dont have to choose between dying or being in debt for the rest of eternity when u get sick /:

I'm fortunate to live in a wonderful country where health care is covered. I've never paid to see a doctor, have a surgery, or take life-saving medications. I'm really proud that I'm training to be part of this health care system and I honestly wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I became a doctor in the US knowing that my patients had to choose between things like housing and food and their health.

I personally lost my mom to cancer and our family didn't pay a dime for her 3 years or so of treatment. It would have bankrupted us and put us in a situation where I wouldn't have been able to live in a nice neighbourhood, go to a good school, and end up 2 years into medical school debt-free due to never having to support my family financially. Everyone, rich or poor, deserves the kind of access that we get.

Healthcare is none of the government's business in my opinion. I can understand temporarily providing benefits for people that are down on their luck or people that are sick to the point they can't work, but as far as the average working individual, they should be responsible for themselves. Maybe you're just for bigger government and services made "free" by stealing from citizens, but I'm for limited government interference in peoples' lives.

I think the government should handle the military because the protect us all from foreign invasion, maintenance of the roadways we all drive on, maintenance of the land we all live on, management of things like prescription drugs made available to citizens (only when it comes to preventing drugs with life threatening side effects from entering the market), enacting laws (when voted on by citizens) and maybe a few other things that haven't come to mind just yet.

I agree, personally. Health care should not be taken care of by the government. That's where corruption happens.

Boy howdy, I love living in a world where people will defend using people's tax money to kill people but will object to using any of that money to save people in need. ((:)

im in canada so this isn't really an issue for me but i hate to see all the americans who are struggling so badly rn. its depressing

A lot of people here would rather vote against their own interests simply because they buy into the fear mongering spewed by their government and politicians. :(

- - - Post #2 - - -

Boy howdy, I love living in a world where people will defend using people's tax money to kill people but will object to using any of that money to save people in need. ((:)

Exactly :)))

Last edited:
Who needs health insurance when u can see a local witch doctor from craigslist

- - - Post Merge - - -

I'd rather have my taxes invested in saving lives than used for the army which kills people in wars. Funny how I'm seeing people complain about the first thing but not the second one.
"Saving lives". The U.S. military is corrupt and the regime change wars we fight in are to expand our influence and to get cheaper oil to fuel more wars. Raytheon and other contractors donate massive ammounts to their crony politician friends to vote for wars that will make them more money.

U.S. and the Obama administration invaded Libya and ovethrew the government and its a chaotic war ridden wasteland now. Trump refuses to withdraw troops from afghanistan and continues to fund the Saudi blockade that has created the largest famine of this century in Yemen, and violates international law.

The U.S. military has also infamously killed tens of thousands of civilians. The U.S. military is not here to protect you. Its a corrupt imperialistic war machine.

Healthcare would save many more lives than any bombing, and is far cheaper and less of a burden on our budget. Taxpayers fund over 50% of all military spending in the ENTIRE WORLD. I dont know how this is even a question.

I have health insurance thanks to family.

I don’t know why this thread was bumped, but OOF, a lot of replies on this thread seem to be people only wanting to see things from their perspective. :(

I’ll just leave this here and quote it again since it’s relevant for this thread.

"There's always room for folks to grow and change, ain't there? And, if ya only go after what ya think is right, ya might end up rejectin' all thoughts and opinions other than yer own. That's mighty dangerous." - Clay from Pokemon Black 2/White 2

Peace. :)

We're all part of an worldwide business. They oblige us to pay the insurance, although many don't need it or don't want it. Give us the free choice, just like with the home insurance. I don't know if I would ever use the health insurance because I have only two stages of being sick: it will pass and I'm ****ed. I'm aware that my house needs insurance because I invested a lot of time and money in it while the diseases come and go. Maybe if I could choose between more insurance policies, as I did with the house, and find a better deal, I could accept it.

you put a lot of time and money into your house so it needs insurance, but your actual body, health and life, which you put way more time and money on keeping alive, somehow aren't as important..? i fail to see how this makes sense.

and healthcare doesn't have to be a business, there are many places outside of the usa where it isn't and it works well.

Personally I agree with you, because all kind of insurances are expensive. For example, I pay $ 500 for my have insurance, and I'm going to change my home insurance on something more reliable and cheap
Okay, but you know that post you responded to is two years old right?

I live in Canada so I have the universal healthcare. Don't mind paying taxes to fund it at all. I am also a government employee so if I get a permanent position, I get great supplementary insurance.

Healthcare is something that I'm actually pretty passionate about due to my family's past experiences. When I was 10, my mom was diagnosed with a rare heart condition. She needed surgery to save her life and luckily my dad had insurance for all of us. After paying the deductible, the insurance covered the rest of her surgery and immediate medical costs. But the next year, they hiked our rates up so high that my dad couldn't afford to keep the insurance.

My dad was self-employed and we weren't rich but we had money for everything we needed and then some. We had a two-story house in a nice neighborhood, went to nice schools, had 2 vehicles. We weren't hurting for money, but the rates the insurance company wanted to charge were astronomical. My dad shopped around, but he couldn't get insurance anywhere else for my mom because she now had a pre-existing condition. He had no choice but to drop the insurance.

Unfortunately, my mom's condition was lifelong. She needed medicine and frequent doctor visits and anytime her chest hurt he had to take her to the emergency room for tests if it was after hours because she could require immediate attention. He tried his best to keep up with her medical bills. We sold our home and moved into a small apartment. We pared down everything that wasn't necessary. Still, he couldn't afford the costs. After two years, we were forced into bankruptcy.

But it didn't end there. The bankruptcy cleared the current debt, but my mom's condition was never going to go away. The bills piled up all over again. After waiting the required amount of time from the 1st bankruptcy, my dad had to claim bankruptcy a second time. At that point, he realized that something needed to be done or this would become an endless cycle, so he and my mom divorced. By getting legally divorced, my mom could qualify for Medicaid and they could finally start to build their lives again.

They never did fully recover financially, but my dad was able to retire when his health because poor as well. They scrape by with the help of Medicare now, but they still have to pay a lot for certain things that Medicare doesn't cover. They have spent thousands of dollars out of their own pocket for things like dental work and hearing aids.

I have employer-sponsored healthcare, so as long as I can keep my job, my husband and I are covered. Granted, we have a huge deductible that we could probably never afford to pay, so I don't exactly consider us to be in good shape if we were to need the insurance for something major.

I've worked in the insurance industry for almost 20 years now and I feel like I have fairly decent insight into the private insurance business in the US. They only care about profits. That's the bottom line. I sit in meetings regularly where people discuss raising rates by 100%, 150%, or more like it's nothing. They have no concern for the person paying for that insurance and their needs. It's all about making money to them. Private insurance will not protect us when we truly need it.

In my opinion, we absolutely need some sort of universal or national healthcare system. I'm not going into the details, but there are many ways to make it work. There are so many other countries with systems that work well and we have the opportunity to use the best parts of their systems and avoid the pitfalls. I just don't want to see any other family lose as much as my family did.

Last edited:
It's true that 70% of the population has good enough insurance that healthcare is not a huge financial burden. Insurance in the US is a necessity if you need any sort of major procedure. Some software development companies provide healthcare software solutions that can help to reduce costs through simpler administration for practitioners, here is info jafton.com/industries/healthcare. I think digital consulting or telemedicine could be the next step in the healthcare development.

Last edited:
I don't have any healthcare/insurance because I am way to poor to afford it. Simple as that!

I am able to get health insurance throu my job, but I don't make alot of money as it is. There's a car commercial on the radio that says 'if you make 400 a week we'll approve you even with bad credit' and I find it SO astonishing that people actually make 400 a week and that to be considered 'okay enough'. On average I'll make ?th of that, maybe half on a good week.

I live in France! So we pay just like a little bit of our health needs.
I saw just a couple days ago that French people paid 7? out of 100? of health needs.
It's very helpful and I'm glad we have this!

Back