• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Healthcare

Do you pay your own insurance?

• Yes

Votes: 14 17.3%
  • No but I have health insurance because of family/government

Votes: 49 60.5%
  • No, and I don't have health insurance.

Votes: 18 22.2%

• Total voters

Soda Fox

love like you
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Tasty Cake
Yellow Lily
I thought it might be interesting to talk about our opinions on healthcare. I think we'll keep it civil - heck we were civil in the gun thread!

Anyway I'm in the US and the only reason I'm against our ACA is because most people I know have been negatively effected by it. I have met one person who was positively effected (other than strangers on the internet). I get healthcare through my employer so it really doesn't make a difference to me. I do hate seeing most of my customers lose their homes or have to put off having kids or choosing insurance or food and not really getting a choice once it comes to tax time.

This discussion is for anyone from any country so be respectful of other opinions.

universal healthcare is a human right and no one should have to suffer from bad mental, dental or physical problems because they cannot afford the cost of the treatment.

I'm in Canada so I get free healthcare!

Edit: it doesn't include dental, eyecare or drug plans. I gotta pay that myself.

Last edited:
I'm in Canada so I get free healthcare!

Edit: it doesn't include dental, eyecare or drug plans. I gotta pay that myself.

healthcare isn't 100% free in sweden either but it is free for all minors and for adults you only pay a little because it is funded by taxes. and prescription drugs can cost up to a certain amount of money per family and year, after that you get the rest for free. also a lot of medicines for minors are free and you can get completely free birth control (at least if you're under 18, i have no idea what it is like for adults because i don't know anyone who's older than 18 and talks about it w me hahah)

the point imo isn't that you shouldn't have to pay a single cent (even though that would be nice), but everyone should be able to afford healthcare (and if they don't the government should pay for it) and that you shouldn't be able to buy better healthcare because you have more money than other people.

edit: here's stuff about what healthcare costs in sweden it's in english and it's probably a lot better at explaining than my uninformed rambling is
https://www.1177.se/Other-languages/Engelska/Regler-och-rattigheter/Patientavgifter/
edit2: some more: https://www.1177.se/Other-languages...-om-man-ar-asylsokande-gomd-eller-papperslos/
https://www.1177.se/Other-languages/Engelska/Regler-och-rattigheter/Vad-kostar-lakemedel-pa-recept/

this one is in swedish but it basically says that it's free for people under 21, you can get financial aid and that you pay a big part of the cost urself but that there are alternatives that u can get if u cant afford it. also it says that the cost depends on how expensive it is, how old u are and what kind of treatment u need.

https://www.1177.se/Regler-och-rattigheter/Vad-kostar-tandvard/

Last edited:
I'm in Canada so we have free healthcare. I also have my own benefits and husband's benefits to cover dental and eyes.

I'm actually against all forms of socialized medicine, including Universal Healthcare, Obamacare, and the AHCA. It doesn't matter who's paying for whom, but the government needs to stay out of healthcare. Government-funded healthcare is fine, but government management of it is not. Healthcare should be capitalistic, which also means that people have the right to choose what hospitals they can go to and what doctors they get.

The government should also not take control of insurance companies because when they do, the companies start abusing doctors. When you abuse workers, they go on strike. But doctors can't ethically go on strike, so it's allowing insurance companies to continue abusing them until they withdraw from the government.

here i get free medication and i can have a checkup im able to. it makes me really sad when i hear about people in other countries talking about having to stop paying for life insurance for their loved ones in critical condition.
i also was worried a few days ago since if theresa may was in control she would have taken the NHS down BUT it turns out to be a fake viral post so hooooo

I'm actually against all forms of socialized medicine, including Universal Healthcare, Obamacare, and the AHCA. It doesn't matter who's paying for whom, but the government needs to stay out of healthcare. Government-funded healthcare is fine, but government management of it is not. Healthcare should be capitalistic, which also means that people have the right to choose what hospitals they can go to and what doctors they get.

The government should also not take control of insurance companies because when they do, the companies start abusing doctors. When you abuse workers, they go on strike. But doctors can't ethically go on strike, so it's allowing insurance companies to continue abusing them until they withdraw from the government.

capitalistic healthcare kills people

But I believe that nobody should have to suffer because they can't afford healthcare. It's greedy to make people pay for healthcare when they pay things like taxes.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Under the NHS, children and pensioners get the free dental stuff. I don't need glasses so I don't know how the rest of the NHS works, as I was under CAMHS for my counselling and therapy.

Everyone should have free healthcare. But, I believe that it could only work if it were only for certain people.

So, if you're close to death because you decided to do something stupid like drive drunk or take an overdose or anything self-inflicted, you would have to pay. A small amount, perhaps, but you'd have to pay.

I think it should all depend on the person. That way they can save money, and only the people who really need help will get free help.

I've always had healthcare because of my parents' jobs, but I think healthcare should be free.

Yes, here we pay for our health insurance as it's a law to have it here. We have a social security system here that also includes long-time care, retirement, accidents and unemployment. It's automatically taken off your pay check, but you only have to pay if you make enough money. Idk, the last time I was in a hospital (one week) was in 2007 and my mom almost died (two weeks in hospital) in 2011 and neither of those incidents did anything to our financial situation or left us in debt.

So I'd have to tick Yes and No (Government), since it's money that never made it into my pockets in the first place, and if I didn't have the ability to earn a pay check it would still be paid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Healthcare is free here in the UK due to the NHS, but the Prime Minister, Theresa May wants to privitise it, essentially ridding it completely to the public, which is such an irrational and stupid decision. Right now, healthcare is free to all; dental care and opticians is free for under 18's I think as well as others such as the disabled and such.

Correct me if I'm wrong please any UK residents

I don't have insurance at the moment, but I do not believe free healthcare should exist. You simply aren't entitled to someone else's time and services, even if it benefits you. Someone provides that service and should be paid by the person they're providing the service to, not by everyone via taxation. I'm not responsible for anyone but myself and any children I bring into this world (or any people I choose to take responsibility for).

Another reason I'm against free healthcare is that it gives the government even more control over your life. When the government ensures that you have health insurance, they also get to dictate which healthcare providers you can visit, what medications you can take, etc. Additionally when the government subsidizes healthcare, it guarantees healthcare providers essentially as much money as they want. They're paid in tax dollars no matter what, meaning they're free to raise their prices, whereas in the free market, healthcare providers have to keep their prices affordable or they risk losing out to competitors. The same can be said for the government subsidizing higher education.

Maybe it's just me, but I think you should WORK for the things you want in life, rather than expecting handouts from everyone around you. Call me old fashioned.

I don't have insurance at the moment, but I do not believe free healthcare should exist. You simply aren't entitled to someone else's time and services, even if it benefits you. Someone provides that service and should be paid by the person they're providing the service to, not by everyone via taxation. I'm not responsible for anyone but myself and any children I bring into this world (or any people I choose to take responsibility for).

Another reason I'm against free healthcare is that it gives the government even more control over your life. When the government ensures that you have health insurance, they also get to dictate which healthcare providers you can visit, what medications you can take, etc. Additionally when the government subsidizes healthcare, it guarantees healthcare providers essentially as much money as they want. They're paid in tax dollars no matter what, meaning they're free to raise their prices, whereas in the free market, healthcare providers have to keep their prices affordable or they risk losing out to competitors. The same can be said for the government subsidizing higher education.

Maybe it's just me, but I think you should WORK for the things you want in life, rather than expecting handouts from everyone around you. Call me old fashioned.

Not to mention that, at least until we get some laws in place to prevent it, a lot of that tax money can then go to paying for god-awful medical ads that shouldn't exist. And unless we get a statement of the exact break down on how our taxes are working for us there'd be no way for us to tell if we're actually helping those in need or just lining some fat cat pockets.

I do like Bowie's idea to an extent - if your healthcare is paid for you you need to follow some strict rules or have it taken away for unhealthy actions. But on the flip side I don't really want anyone telling me how to live my life and I don't want to tell others to live their's, so I'd rather just everyone pays their own way and is free to do what they want with their bodies.

I kind of agree on having to pay for a healthcare but like people who can't afford it can't be left to die you know?

like I agree with Mii but also w visibleghost

Back