Job interview advice

helenkeller

fecal sewage ♥
Bells
Eggs
Old Eggs
So, this is related to my last thread, grocery store jobs! I got a call back! (No, they emailed me, when I said to call... which was odd that they emailed me.)

I called and I had a three question "phone interview" I was obviously nervous, and I have no idea if someone else wants this job. I called twice, the first time, I was having too many people talk to me at once. And I called back and said my times were mixed up, and that I can do the job on said days.

It was for stocking shampoo and such. This one is for a "Fruit Clerk" which is stocking fruits and veggies. She asked what the position was for on the phone ten minutes before hand, and I said that, and she said this one was stocking fruits. Is that because they need help stocking all throughout the store? I want this job soooo bad... I really don't want anybody with experience to take it from me. Even though they know I never had a job before.

I never had an interview before, since this would be my first job. I am really nervous. Please give me some advice on how these interviews go. This one is for kroger if that helps.
They mentioned I would be drug tested as well, so does that mean I could get hired on the spot? It is only a five minute mouth swab. (my boyfriend was in the hiring process at kroger when we first got together.)
His one friend failed the mouth swab (which is kinda pathetic because it only goes back three days at most, if you don't really have dental hygiene) and he knew as he left that he wasn't going to get any position.
**Also, I take aderrall, I am prescribed, should I mention that? It can show up as amphetamines on the test. I was planning on ripping off the sticker to my bottle, or bringing it in itself.

Also what are questions they usually ask you? And should I do my make up for it? Would that show that I care about my appearance? And if my friend cant get me her pants in time, would it be too over the top to wear a dress?

My sister used to own a restaurant, and I was there all the time as a kid. I also helped out a few times before too. Should I mention that? Would it show that I have skills to handle other people? And that I know what to do around others, especially if someone is unhappy?

Dress nicely, you don't have to go all out, but be presentable, do your make-up but not like overly so, like don't cake it on and have tons of sparkles, just look presentable. A dress is fine as long as it's not like super short, think like business casual, something more "plain" is usually better.

I would mention before the test about your medicine and yes bring proof of the prescription just in case so you don't get wrongfully turned down.

And yes of course you should say even though you've never had a job that you had experience helping there at the restaurant, they'll like knowing you had some form of work experience.

Just be calm and answer things honestly, when it comes to weaknesses, if they ask, turn strengths into weaknesses, so say like "Well one of my weaknesses is that I work too hard." or something like that it sounds cheesy but it works.

Good luck and I hope you get the job!

Thank you! I got this palette the other day called Lorac Unzipped. I was thinking of a neutral smokey eye, I never go too heavy with my makeup, it isn't a cute look lol.

It is business casual, they said so on the phone. Some interviews around here, they allow you to wear jeans, not sure why. I am just really nervous, and I have social anxiety, and I don't want to make it too obvious that I do... On the phone I made it kind of obvious and I cried for twenty minutes after. I can't sleep because I am afraid I will mess up somehow.

I have very fancy shirts from that nice store called Express, so I will look really professional even if my friend can't get her pants to me in time. She is only 17 and has a baby and she is starting training for a life guard so she might not have time. I just can't fit into the two pairs of dress pants I have right now, so my options are limited. (they're dress shorts, that go a tad bit above the knee, but the email said no shorts so those are out of the question.)

It really just boils down to if they like me or not. And that makes me really anxious.

minimal makeup without looking too childlike, maybe a slight contour, eyeshadow and simple evening out of ur complexion would be good. formal but not a suit kinda clothes, maybe a nice fitted dress or straight skirt in neutral tones.

I know it's only for a grocery store job, but dress professionally. No blue jeans or ripped jeans. A nice blouse for a shirt (no graphic tees). Dress to impress, it shows initiative

When they introduce themselves, reach to shake their hand. Ensure you have a firm hand shake (no noodle arm).

For the interview take your time if you need to think of a response. If you can't think of one, ask to come back to it. There is nothing wrong with that. I would also suggest looking into behavioral based interview questions and prep some answers. These questions are often like "tell me about the situation when..." What an interviewer looks for is what you did and how you handled the situation, not the situation itself.

As for the drug testing, simply ask if it shows any prescription drugs. You don't need to go into detail. I once had to go for pee-test and it just tested for illegal drugs, like weed.

Last edited:
I got the job :)

Now other places are calling me back I never felt so good I have no idea why I was so worried that nobody would hire me.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I know it's only for a grocery store job, but dress professionally. No blue jeans or ripped jeans. A nice blouse for a shirt (no graphic tees). Dress to impress, it shows initiative

When they introduce themselves, reach to shake their hand. Ensure you have a firm hand shake (no noodle arm).

For the interview take your time if you need to think of a response. If you can't think of one, ask to come back to it. There is nothing wrong with that. I would also suggest looking into behavioral based interview questions and prep some answers. These questions are often like "tell me about the situation when..." What an interviewer looks for is what you did and how you handled the situation, not the situation itself.

As for the drug testing, simply ask if it shows any prescription drugs. You don't need to go into detail. I once had to go for pee-test and it just tested for illegal drugs, like weed.

Yupyupyup she thanked me and needed the information. Her eyes bugged from her head when she read my aderrall bottle HAHAHA (after she asked if i was willing to work a 3am shift if there was call offs. I was like "yeah i never sleep I am always awake" and she said "yep thats why i asked. I can tell" so bringing that in got me more hours in the future xD

It is a mouth swab, and it would turn blue for main drugs that people usually abuse, weed, heroin, etc.. Then they send it to a lab and they test it for things like pills. I will get mailed a notice if I failed for amphetamine and I will have ten days to clear it up before i get fired so its good that i mentioned it and brought the information

Back