What should I do with my broken 2ds?

helenkeller

fecal sewage ♥
Bells
Eggs
Old Eggs
If plans don't change I am getting a new 2ds this coming friday. I don't know what to do with my broken one though. I have my nintendo account logged into it still, because it just broke out of nowhere. And I looked online and the most I would be offered on a website that buys broken phones, laptops, etc, was 2 dollars for it.

That is a reliable business though, that could be trusted.

What should I do with it? I'm pretty sure something is just loose, but I have had a problem with it before, and nintendo repaired it already. Because it does charge, and it does light up, and turns right off.

I already tried taking it apart myself but I don't have a small enough screwdriver, the smallest one I have is a #0 head.

Also will I still have pokemon red? And will I still have my progress?

Last edited:
Since you already got your 2DS "repaired" by Nintendo, you get an extra 100 days of warranty. This means you can send the hardware one more time for free other than the shipping fees. Though, it might take a longer while than you'd hope for.

If you can't afford wasting even more time or if Nintendo fails to repair your device for the second time, it's worth trying out whatever online device repair website you've come across and hopefully fix your 2DS quickly enough.

For your information, if you manage to get your 2DS to turn on, display the HOME Menu and use the touch screen to navigate through menus, you'll be able to recover all of your progress and settings saved on the hardware's NAND and SD Card.

Should your 2DS still fail to work and purchase another a system from the 3DS family, try calling a Nintendo rep and tell that you've bought a new system and want to unlink the NNID associated to your broken 2DS. Be sure to note your NNID and the serial number for the old 2DS before doing so.
While this won't recover your progress, the games you bought under this account can be then re-downloaded for free.

Since you already got your 2DS "repaired" by Nintendo, you get an extra 100 days of warranty. This means you can send the hardware one more time for free other than the shipping fees. Though, it might take a longer while than you'd hope for.

If you can't afford wasting even more time or if Nintendo fails to repair your device for the second time, it's worth trying out whatever online device repair website you've come across and hopefully fix your 2DS quickly enough.

For your information, if you manage to get your 2DS to turn on, display the HOME Menu and use the touch screen to navigate through menus, you'll be able to recover all of your progress and settings saved on the hardware's NAND and SD Card.

Should your 2DS still fail to work and purchase another a system from the 3DS family, try calling a Nintendo rep and tell that you've bought a new system and want to unlink the NNID associated to your broken 2DS. Be sure to note your NNID and the serial number for the old 2DS before doing so.
While this won't recover your progress, the games you bought under this account can be then re-downloaded for free.

Thank you! Sadly, it has been a few days since the 100 has passed. Not even by weeks, literally has just been a few days. Which really sucks. They didn't even state that I had 100 days, they said that once my warranty was over was when my "deal" was over. He stated that I would not have the 100 days because I was still under the one year warranty. And because I did not need a replacement system, I was not given that. I am not sure how the rules work for that. The woman who I talked to before him refused to ask for my serial number, and was being very sketchy.. She offered me 40 dollars for the repair first, but said to put the cash in the box.. I said "I won't have the money until next week" she then said "Ok if you do it today, I will do it for 25." I then explained "Look, I am a young girl who doesn't even have a job. I said I do not have the money to send right now." "I will do it for 15 if you send it today" then I just hung up. I even mentioned that I did not have the system for even a year, and I did not buy a warranty WITH GAME STOP and she still failed to mention that all nintendo systems are under a one year warranty.

The guy himself didn't sketch me out or give me the "no good vibe" kinda thing. He would ask me to hold, and be very polite and talk to people in the higher positions to help me out as much as possible.

They also failed to send back the box it came in, they just kinda put it in a normal shipping box with a few packing peanuts... Is that even a proper way to package a system that can break being bumped around?? I really feel ripped off here. I feel like this breaking could have been prevented. I mean, they did check on the check list that it was cleaned and repaired. So why would you send back a fragile handheld like that when it already broke once?

I might sound overdramatic, but not having the original box irritates my soul... Because if my serial number rubbed off I would no longer have it, I mean that is common knowledge.

Last edited:
Ouch! Sounds like you were dealing with some of the worst Nintendo reps.

Just to make sure you'll recover your digital purchases, you could write down the exact serial number somewhere while it's still readable. Otherwise, you're out of luck.

The next time you send a problematic Nintendo device, don't send anything else than just the actual device. This means taking out the game card, SD card and stylus. You don't really need to send the box your hardware came from, since any box would do the trick just fine, provided you fill the materials in to prevent any potential collision damage.

I sold my broken 2ds on Ebay listed as is for parts for 20 bucks or so a couple months back.

Ouch! Sounds like you were dealing with some of the worst Nintendo reps.

Just to make sure you'll recover your digital purchases, you could write down the exact serial number somewhere while it's still readable. Otherwise, you're out of luck.

The next time you send a problematic Nintendo device, don't send anything else than just the actual device. This means taking out the game card, SD card and stylus. You don't really need to send the box your hardware came from, since any box would do the trick just fine, provided you fill the materials in to prevent any potential collision damage.

Yeah, just send in the form and the system in one of those envelopes with padding. Mine was internal issues and such but then I already transferred things onto a new system, so yeah I didn't have outside broken issues thankfully enough with my 3ds' consoles I had.

I'd say go for a new one, but keep the old and do a system transfer before you ditch it.

This is kind of a long process, but you can pay to fix it and then sell it refurbished. You could at least make a profit on it that way. I have no idea the price it costs to fix it or what they're going for right now but it's an idea at least.

This is kind of a long process, but you can pay to fix it and then sell it refurbished. You could at least make a profit on it that way. I have no idea the price it costs to fix it or what they're going for right now but it's an idea at least.

This is a good idea!!

Obviously only sell it if it ends up working. You wouldn't wanna be that person to sell a broken system to someone. XP

Back