Is Gender and Sex the Same Thing?

Is Gender and Sex the Same Thing?

• Total voters
Yes. Gender and sex both refer to which reproductive system you have as well as tons of other biological traits specific to your gender, but there is absolutely nothing saying you have to adhere to the stereotypes associated with your gender.

Gender is a confusing thing to me, I might be one of those agender people, but I don't really care either. I think it's difficult enough to relate to humanity :p

I know which "sex" I am, if we are referring to genitals, I find it disgusting but I won't change it, too much troubles.

there is absolutely nothing saying you have to adhere to the stereotypes associated with your gender

It's not just the stereotypes, it's also the way of thinking.

I wish gender only refered to your sexual parts. Gender roles stifle human behavior. We get categorized and have certain societal expectations due to what gender we are. I wish gender was abolished altogether, at least then no one would feel ostracized or pressured and we can all just be ourselves without any expectations. But instead we all have this perception that we have to act a certain way due to the parts we were born with. Why can't reproductive organs just be reproductive organs? Why can't humans just be humans? Human behavior should be kept entirely separate from gender.

Last edited:
It's not just the stereotypes, it's also the way of thinking.

What do you mean exactly? Also do you think that maybe you have this idea that women and men think so differently because you buy into stereotypes?

I can see how, if you had a set idea in your head about how men and women are supposed to be or typically are (how they act socially, how they think, what they're supposed to wear, what they like, what their bodies should look like, etc.), it would be easy not to identify with that if you fell outside of what you perceive as normal. I can also see how, if a non binary identifying person firmly believed gender stereotypes, they'd maybe see themselves having some of both characteristics and feel as though they were neither entirely female or entirely male.

I guess my point is that not all men think, act or look similarly and not all women think, act and or look similarly. Every person functions a little differently physically, mentally and emotionally, and being outside of what is most common doesn't mean you're a separate gender. You're just an unusual guy or girl and that's fine.

Last edited:
I honestly don't know and don't care. If someone identifies as transgender and thus their identification is the opposite of what their chromosomes are, I refer to them with the pronouns of the gender they identify as, and I don't really care about what their chromosomes may be.
Overall, however, I do view gender to be of a more social construct and sex to be more biological, but aside from that, I don't really know what difference there is if there even is one.

gender is an emotional and mental factor.
sex is a biological and physical factor.

so you can biologically/physically be a man but feel like a woman and vice versa.

- - - Post Merge - - -

i want to be a snail. they have both male and female parts and therefore, don't have to worry about who's what.

"you are my species, let's sin"

ya dig?

Last edited:
tbh i'm glad that ppl have different opinions and yet no one argued

you keep saying these things like you want people to start arguing lol

anyways.. sex/gender is physical; you can be boy or girl or both or neither and that's fine. i can see how gender is mental but idk i guess i'm not understanding entirely. like mentally someone can feel like a boy when they are a girl, but then i believe they would typically change their gender from girl to boy since they feel like a boy mentally?? :confused: not everyone does that i know but yeah that's what i'd typically think of.

Last edited:
you keep saying these things like you want people to start arguing lol

anyways.. sex/gender is physical; you can be boy or girl or both or neither and that's fine. i can see how gender is mental but idk i guess i'm not understanding entirely. like mentally someone can feel like a boy when they are a girl, but then i believe they would typically change their gender from girl to boy since they feel like a boy mentally?? :confused: not everyone does that i know but yeah

I took it as our forum does get into arguments quite a bit so its nice to see us all just discussing.

Anyway I think their different. Gender is social factors/a mental state while sex is a physical state.

Anyway I think their different. Gender is social factors/a mental state while sex is a physical state.

yeah i get that! but what i meant was like, there's only 2 biological/physical genders. people can be whatever they want mentally but regardless you will always be what you were assigned at at birth. and what i meant was like, (i mean i'm not trans so i can't say) but if someone is a boy mentally but a girl bodily, wouldn't they want to transition to a boy, and wouldn't that be the reason for most people transitioning?

yeah i get that! but what i meant was like, there's only 2 biological/physical genders. people can be whatever they want mentally but regardless you will always be what you were assigned at at birth. and what i meant was like, (i mean i'm not trans so i can't say) but if someone is a boy mentally but a girl bodily, wouldn't they want to transition to a boy, and wouldn't that be the reason for most people transitioning?

What do you mean exactly? Also do you think that maybe you have this idea that women and men think so differently because you buy into stereotypes?

I can see how, if you had a set idea in your head about how men and women are supposed to be or typically are (how they act socially, how they think, what they're supposed to wear, what they like, what their bodies should look like, etc.), it would be easy not to identify with that if you fell outside of what you perceive as normal. I can also see how, if a non binary identifying person firmly believed gender stereotypes, they'd maybe see themselves having some of both characteristics and feel as though they were neither entirely female or entirely male.

I guess my point is that not all men think, act or look similarly and not all women think, act and or look similarly. Every person functions a little differently physically, mentally and emotionally, and being outside of what is most common doesn't mean you're a separate gender. You're just an unusual guy or girl and that's fine.

I don't know, when I'm with a group of women, for instance, I don't get what they are saying, there is always someone who tell me, "you know how women feel right?" "You know what it's like for women?" blablabla...and I'm "Is that so?" I always need someone to explain me why a girl would be pissed off at something and even so, I don't get it. Unless it's the same for everybody, I feel like from another planet and super uncomfortable not knowing what is going on. In my opinion, nothing really define gender, you can dress, act and think like you want, but it's not what the rest of the world seems to think. I have no idea what makes people relate to one group rather than another.

I don't think I'm unusual, I think it's everybody else who is unusual XD!
I don't feel like both gender either, I just don't feel anything. *scratches head*
Whatever.

Last edited:

Sorry, I was only quoting you to respond to your response to Gregriii. I post on a phone most of the time so quoting specific things can sometimes be a pain.

And then I went on to answer the question posed in the thread to not stray from the topic over much. I don't disagree with you regarding sex/gender only my interpretation of what Gregriii said.

Sorry, I was only quoting you to respond to your response to Gregriii. I post on a phone most of the time so quoting specific things can sometimes be a pain.

And then I went on to answer the question posed in the thread to not stray from the topic over much. I don't disagree with you regarding sex/gender only my interpretation of what Gregriii said.

oh lol it's cool dude. my bad haha

yea nop they are def not the same thing

also even then sex is not just m / f ? intersex ppl exist lol

In my opinion, no they are not the same. Gender is just a social construct. Sex, is something biological. Not opinionated, just factual. But that's just my opinion.

Back