• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Cat help

boujee

Bells
Holiday Candy Cane 2016
Close this if it isn't appropriate.

So I recently got a new kitten. Well not kitten but I would say "teenager" since she's fairly small. She use to be a street cat that I seen neglected on the streets(getting kick at etc) so I adopted her. Took her to the vet and everything and she's very sweet. She loves to get pet and tries to sit on my lap to sleep. I had her for about 2-3 weeks now hidden in my room. I separated her from my current cat of 2 years. I adopted him also so he has 0 feline skillls. I started to do the slow introduction process of keeping them seperate and swapping scents. I would put my current cat in the seperate room and swapping the girl out. I finally brought them close together and of course the first introduction isn't always a piece of cake. I seperate them again and tried the process 2 days later, the girl cat just hissed and growls at him while he just arches his back and runs. I was at terrified that he was going to pounce on her cause he's much bigger but it seems like he's getting bullied. It's to the point that he's always in "caution mode", eyes dilated, and he's flinching at every little sound.

I know the process can be slow so I was just wondering if anyone here has tips? I already did a little research but nothing that would seem the match up for them.

we just let our cats fight till one established dominance and they were all chill

I've had cats a long time but usually older cats that get introduced to a fresh new kitten. My most recent cat is a rescue. He also has claws while Mo (my older cat that I've already had) does not. Mo also doesn't have most of her teeth anymore.

I probably shouldn't have done this but I didn't slow introduce them at all. Mo didn't like Khufu much at first and would hiss at him a lot (which was shocking at first because in 13 years I'd never heard her hiss even once) but they started getting along after a few days.

He play fights and annoys her sometimes but he doesn't hurt her. I think her not having teeth or claws causes him to play with her very gently - I can tell in the way he nips her that he purposefully uses as little of his teeth and claws as he can.

My advice might not be the best for your situation but I just wanted to share my experience.

Idk with my cats they're just mad the first few weeks and you just gotta deal with it, but they're usually chill after they bop at each other and realize they can sit on the same bed and not feel inclined to attack the other lol! I would just give them time.

It's best to first introduce your new cat to your current cat's litter box, so that they immediately become aware that there's already another cat in the house, and that they're coming into that cat's house. You shouldn't avoid the two of them spending time together, otherwise they won't have the chance to get used to each other. Leave your doors open, and let the new kitty check out the house while you supervise her and if your other kitty acts up, gently tell him no and pet them both. Repeat as needed.

When I adopted my second cat a year after my first, my sweet, snuggly, pampered baby Tetris hated me for a solid month. She wouldn't meow at me when I talked to her, she wouldn't let me pet her, she wouldn't take treats from me, and she wouldn't sleep on the bed anymore. And she used to corner my other cat in the bathroom and growl at her. She also used to try to pounce on her a lot, but I would tell her no and pick her up and set her on the other side of the room if I needed to.

I've had my second cat now for about 3 years, and now they groom each other (a little) and will even sleep next to each other on the back of my armchair.

One thing I've found that makes cats get along is them having their meals together. I've always fed my cats side by side, and they've never swatted at each other (too focused on food, I guess), but if yours do or if your bigger cat tries to eat the other's food, move their bowls farther apart and supervise them until your new kitty gets bigger.

What kind of cat is the male one? Some breeds (And even coat colors) can be more territorial than others, so that could have a lot to do with how well he responds to a new cat in his territory.

Jackson Galaxy! Seriously, his methods are so awesome and if you just find an episode of My Cat From Hell on youtube where he's integrated cats and he has really great tips. Scent swapping is a good start, food is always a good place to start too, feed them in the same room(or if that's not possible, on the other side of the door from one another) and slowly move the bowls closer day by day.

My cat, Celty, was a feral kitten when I got her, and my older two didn't like her at all lol
For about the first month she was with us, she avoided the older girls, and they avoided her.

I started introducing her scent to their stuff and trying to have them near each other, and after a little while, they started to warm up to her, and now they all act like one big happy family : P

Basically, cats are super sketchy on scents, and it will take a little time and effort to get them used to it

I have several cats (like too many) and even if they know each other for a long time, they fight. I give them treats and pet them to keep their attention on something else, most of the time they forget they were mad and eat happily. If it doesn't work, like with dominant males, I show them the spray water bottle and 99% of the time they sit and stay quiet...if not, I lock them in different places until they calm down. Since it's a new cat, I would start with food and treats while they are together. If the cats get attention and treats each time they see each other, they may see each other as something positive.

Keep them seperated I guess. Cats are just big jerks.

It's best to first introduce your new cat to your current cat's litter box, so that they immediately become aware that there's already another cat in the house, and that they're coming into that cat's house. You shouldn't avoid the two of them spending time together, otherwise they won't have the chance to get used to each other. Leave your doors open, and let the new kitty check out the house while you supervise her and if your other kitty acts up, gently tell him no and pet them both. Repeat as needed.

When I adopted my second cat a year after my first, my sweet, snuggly, pampered baby Tetris hated me for a solid month. She wouldn't meow at me when I talked to her, she wouldn't let me pet her, she wouldn't take treats from me, and she wouldn't sleep on the bed anymore. And she used to corner my other cat in the bathroom and growl at her. She also used to try to pounce on her a lot, but I would tell her no and pick her up and set her on the other side of the room if I needed to.

I've had my second cat now for about 3 years, and now they groom each other (a little) and will even sleep next to each other on the back of my armchair.

One thing I've found that makes cats get along is them having their meals together. I've always fed my cats side by side, and they've never swatted at each other (too focused on food, I guess), but if yours do or if your bigger cat tries to eat the other's food, move their bowls farther apart and supervise them until your new kitty gets bigger.

I have but my current cat of two years(just going to say his name to make it less confusing) Gizmo would run out the room as soon as I do a scent swap or place him in the seperate room she was in.

Just remembered something funny (or not). I once adopted a domestic cat, who was used to live alone (without other pets) in his previous house. I already had 3 feral kittens. The kittens didn't mind him and were rather curious about him. Him however, disliked them. Pretty much all male adult cats I had, disliked kitten or were scared by them. So the male cat started peeing on them...(poor babies) and he was not the only one doing that, some years later, a feral cat brought her babies into the house and hid them under the couch and my male cat of 3 years, peed on them, every time he got the chance, but never harm them.

I also noticed that little females are scared of male cats and might want to show them to know their place.

Back