Misogyny

If a man holds a door for a woman is he sexist or misogynistic?

• Total voters
if a man were to hold a door open for me i would walk right through and say thank you. same with a girl. same with someone who doesn't identify as a gender, or is both, or is none. it's just a nice thing to do, there is NOTHING malicious about holding a damn door open for someone?

Well I mean I hold the door for anyone that's just the polite thing to do? Like if someone didn't hold the door for me, man or woman, I would just think they were rude

if it's socially awkward chivalry garbage yeah it bothers me. as it can be some neckbeard complex or effort to get my acknowledgment. i'm a disabled girl so a lot of "nice guy" types think they're being smooth when they're really in my way. it's cute to be nice and all but you're more an obstacle than anything else

if i actually asked a random person "could you hold the door" then that's when i'll thank them. not to be abrasive but being altruistic doesn't really mean anything to me.

If anything is sexist it's this threads question. Who cares if a guy holds a door open for a lady or anyone else? Isn't it a nice gesture?

I think it depends on his intentions. If it's just because it's another person -hey, he's a decent human being! But if it's because it's a woman, and he wouldn't do it for a man, then that's a little sketch.

I think there's also a culture-thing at play here. Here in Canada, it's like an actual cultural thing that you hold a door for someone who's coming through behind you (unless they're like a long way away, but if you're 3 seconds ahead of them, you stick your arm out and hold the door). Like, it's just the thing you do, for anyone. I'm a woman, I would do it for a guy or a woman or a kid or whoever. So I voted no. Just the act of someone holding a door for someone, even if it was a man for a woman.

Now, if the man who's holding the door for the woman is only doing it because she's a woman and wouldn't hold it for a man, then I would question why he's doing it. But the act itself is still not sexist, as I'm pretty sure no one thinks a woman is incapable of opening a door.

Surprised at these responses.

I agree with most of these responses. If not, all.

I was expecting that the men were rude and contributing to the "unofficial bad social norms."

Correction: I was expecting people's responses would be (see above).

This isn't tumblr. People are reasonable here.

Also I was a little confused by the title and the poll because the question made it seem like the choices should've been either "mysoginistic" or "sexist" lmao

This isn't tumblr. People are reasonable here.

Also I was a little confused by the title and the poll because the question made it seem like the choices should've been either "mysoginistic" or "sexist" lmao

I wouldn't not given an answer to no because the answer is no.

Holding a door is just polite, nothing else.

The first to touch the handle should hold the door :) Well I often hold the door for men and they don't seem offended.

The other week I was coming out of a store, let the door swing behind me since I didn't think anybody was following. I looked back and saw a nice little old lady I didn't notice at first about to come through, so I kinda jumped back to hold the door open.

She was overly enthusiastic about the gesture and said happily "ooo, so gentlemen still exist these days then!"...So I kicked her down the stairs and told that sexist old bigot to not assume my gender! The room went silent, people started to slowly clap one by one, then a small girl around the age of 2 stood up and said (in her own words, srs, no lies, ask me mam) "the ignorance of the aging population will be the harbinger of their inevitable demise as the deteriorating grasp they have of our ever evolving modern social norms pushes them further into redundancy". I then got a medal.

But no, I just smiled politely and went to work.

It's just common decency to hold a door open for the person behind you rather than letting it swing shut in their face. It doesn't mean that expect my sexual desires be satisfied in compensation and I don't think you're incapable of opening a door yourself, I'm just not a dick.

Yeah it's definitely just a polite gesture to hold the door for someone, regardless of their gender. It's just a nice thing to do.

Isn't that just a common courtesy everyone does to everyone? I always hold them if someone's behind me.

Back