• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

someone has told me they are contemplating suicide

ok.sean

actually not ok
Bells
Switch
7820-3205-7436
Father's Day Carnation
im not super close with them so i dont know how i can really talk about this since im not really experienced with mental health, i need help with what to say

Definitely good to read through material on it, the source above seems good.

It's definitely an emotional state, not one logic can easily help with.

One of the best things is to help them find help from someone more equipped for the hard conversations like a counselor. Don't tell people without their knowledge about who exactly it is, but try to encourage them to find the help they need.

I was suicidal at a time too, I never actually told anyone at the time. I was lucky enough to have a string of good events that reminded me of all the people who cared about me. I'm glad I didn't, but I was in a good place with good family. I can see things going different if I had a less safe home.

Last edited:
Contemplation doesn't necessarily mean much. Sure, I've contemplated it, but it just seemed like too much hassle, you know? Do you know if they've had a history of self-harm or anything like that? Usually there are some predecessors.

Contemplation doesn't necessarily mean much. Sure, I've contemplated it, but it just seemed like too much hassle, you know? Do you know if they've had a history of self-harm or anything like that? Usually there are some predecessors.

i guess contemplation is not a strong enough word bc they said they were thinking about doing it within the next week

Tell them how special they are even if its not true. I was admitted to a hospital and all I wanted was love even though I got it at home. I felt like nobody cared. If they start to show even more concerning behavior please get help. Even if they get mad it'll be worth it. I left the hospital knowing people cared because of everyone I met there and learned a lot of things to keep my head on straight. I still have my issues but it definitely cleared my mind of dying anytime soon.

- - - Post Merge - - -

They're calling out for attention in the wrong ways.

In this situation, I think it's best to inform their parents if they live with them/you have a way to.

to all above, this is an abnormal situation in that pretty much everything is backwards with her. i gave her the number for the suicide hotline in a very gentle manor but she rejected on the grounds that she hates hotlines. i did manage to get her to think it over which is great but i dont know how much time i have, any help is appreciated

My best advice to you would be to be there for them. Let them know you will be there if they need to vent or anything. You've already let her know about all the hotlines and help there is available for her. If you're really seriously sure that she could kill herself, I highly suggest you get into contact with her parents or perhaps even the police. There's only so much venting she can do.

My partner has had problems in the past with that and all I've ever been able to do is be there for them as much as I can, as helpless as I may feel. As someone who has been in a dark state of mind like that before, I don't think that letting them know about the help available is going to actually help. When you're as depressed as that, the last thing you care about is a phone call. You're ready to die before that comes into your head, I think.

Ask her if she has a plan. The best and sure-fire time to stage an intervention when someone is feeling suicidal is if they have a plan on how they're going to carry it out and/or have the means ready to do so. It is vital at that point to tell someone if they have planned.

It's best to contact their parents, the police or your school (if you're in school??) so they can contact their parents or the police.

- - - Post Merge - - -

One of my best mates saved my life by calling the police when I told him that I had a plan and that I was ready to commit suicide. I'd be dead if it weren't for his intervention.

hey howdy hey as someone who has been in the situation, both ways, the best thing to do is honestly tell an authority figure and get them the help they need. the best course of action is to sit down and talk. if they have a plan, you need to take them to the hospital. you need to get them to contact their doctor/ therapist because they will most likely not listen to you. this is a call for help. this is all derived from my own experiences in dealing with suicide and suicidal people. you need to be there for them and assure them that you will not leave their side. check in with them as much as possible and remind them that this too shall pass. feel free to pm me if you need more advice/help. (this is what both my therapist and psychologist have told me in how to go about this situation, but it varies from person to person.) stay safe!!!!! <3

Last edited:
Please please please tell someone higher up like the police or their parents or something. They sound pretty legit and I wouldn't want to take that chance. Who cares if they'll be mad at you for getting help. If it saves their life, it's well worth it.

Sometimes doing the right thing may seem wrong for the person. But I would definitely let their parents and the police know. Yes they'll be mad at the moment...but once their head is clear and they can realize that you did it for their own well-being, they will most likely be glad you did it. It's a hard time but this is crucial since they're basically calling out for help. Let them know that they do have people who care and they don't want them to see that person commit suicide. I know it's hard but try your best to get them not to do it and call the police so they are aware of the situation before it is too late.

I agree with above. At my old college, the RA's would strongly urge us to speak to them and the school mental health center if our roommate or friends or anybody we know are harming or talking about harming themselves. ON top of that, you'd feel horrible if he actually did and didn't do anything about it..I know I would.

Back