• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Pokémon Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon General Discussion

From serebii...

“The first images from CoroCoro have leaked and have revealed confirmation of a new distribution. Back in September, we reported of a new Pok?mon Scrap style event where you'd get Mythical Pok?mon. CoroCoro confirms that the Mythical Pok?mon Manaphy, Meloetta and Hoopa are to be distributed. To get these, from December 1st, you need to collect codes from various merchandise. 1 for Manaphy, 7 for Meloetta and 16 for Hoopa which lets you get a serial code to unlock the Pok?mon in Sun, Moon, Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon. It's currently unclear whether they'll have any special features . We'll bring more as it comes.”

This doesn’t surprise me but it’s disappointing. I’m an adult and I could purchase the extra items if I wanted to, but I won’t, on principle. And what about kids? They have to be denied because their parents won’t feed Nintendo more money? It’s like pay-to-play, (beginning back with the amiibos) and I don’t like it. I know it’s probably a silly thing to get whipped-up about but it really rubs me the wrong way... >_>

Where does everyone get their USUM news from? I usually check-up on serebii from time to time.

Normally Serebii is the first source to post about official news. Its where I get my news from.

Scrap events have always been Japan only. They've been doing these for a few years now there. So unless you're in Japan, you don't really need to worry about it too much.

Last edited:
Sooo... has anyone else finished the game yet or are we not allowed to talk about that before the official launch? I have to say I‘m really disappointed by how little has been changed compared to Sun/Moon. It‘s hardly an alternate story, apart from the Ultra Recon guys who show up here and there to talk about Alola‘s Light and Poipole, but otherwise really don‘t do anything. All the big changes and new stuff aren‘t unveiled until the very end, which I found really frustrating. I hope the Switch games will be better...

Scrap events have always been Japan only. They've been doing these for a few years now there. So unless you're in Japan, you don't really need to worry about it too much.

That's a relief! Thank you.

Sooo... has anyone else finished the game yet or are we not allowed to talk about that before the official launch? I have to say I‘m really disappointed by how little has been changed compared to Sun/Moon. It‘s hardly an alternate story, apart from the Ultra Recon guys who show up here and there to talk about Alola‘s Light and Poipole, but otherwise really don‘t do anything. All the big changes and new stuff aren‘t unveiled until the very end, which I found really frustrating. I hope the Switch games will be better...

wow okay this sounds.. promising :/ I was really hoping for more but not really new that stuff happens after the game but still.. like man.

I haven't played the game and have been trying to avoid story spoilers, but

From what I've been seeing/hearing, the gameplay additions are more than worth it. They've added tons more than they have for the 3rd versions (Yellow/Crystal/Emerald/Platinum) in the past. The story additions, the little I know, actually sound like more than they have for 3rd versions in the past too. I don't know why anyone would be disappointed (again, note that I haven't played it) unless they had different expectations. Game Freak themselves pretty much admitted this was a 3rd version-type game a long time ago.

I haven't played the game and have been trying to avoid story spoilers, but

From what I've been seeing/hearing, the gameplay additions are more than worth it. They've added tons more than they have for the 3rd versions (Yellow/Crystal/Emerald/Platinum) in the past. The story additions, the little I know, actually sound like more than they have for 3rd versions in the past too. I don't know why anyone would be disappointed (again, note that I haven't played it) unless they had different expectations. Game Freak themselves pretty much admitted this was a 3rd version-type game a long time ago.

I probably expected more and different stuff because they handled sun/moon pretty bad and it was so heavy on older 3ds versions (tons of proof and i could confirm for you if i still had an old) and yeah in general that plaza was annoying just to trade.. umm where's the pss when we need it. i mean yeah i will probably cave for reasons, but yeah..man

[...]I don't know why anyone would be disappointed (again, note that I haven't played it) unless they had different expectations. Game Freak themselves pretty much admitted this was a 3rd version-type game a long time ago.
Yeah, sorry that I was so negative in my prior post, I actually did not mean to bash the games. It's true that I simply expected too much from them. Since it was hyped as an "alternate take on the original story" and set in "an alternate version of Alola", I, and many others, expected large changes to the characters and story - I was just let down because that didn't happen. It is just another third version game. And for people who did not play the original Sun/Moon or do not mind playing them again, the games are more than fine - and the new late-game and after-credits gameplay is actually really fun.

They've added tons more than they have for the 3rd versions (Yellow/Crystal/Emerald/Platinum) in the past.
Eh, I'm not so sure. Especially Crystal had tons of quite significant changes (animated sprites, trainer gender, Battle Tower...). And even though the changes may not stack up against USUM on paper, Yellow felt like a way bigger leap at the time, too (Pikachu following you, storyline reflecting the anime more closely, more colors and better sprites - which was a huge deal back in the 90s). I agree with Emerald and Platinum, though.

Last edited:
I probably expected more and different stuff because they handled sun/moon pretty bad and it was so heavy on older 3ds versions (tons of proof and i could confirm for you if i still had an old) and yeah in general that plaza was annoying just to trade.. umm where's the pss when we need it. i mean yeah i will probably cave for reasons, but yeah..man

My 3DS is still an old 3DS. I agree with you. Sun/Moon really chugs along slowly sometimes, especially in any battles containing more than 2 Pokemon. SOS battles were kind of extra annoying at times as a result of that. I do agree that the Plaza sucks too. That's not going away. At least it sounds like we have another method of getting Festival Points, through that new battle building in the Plaza. My worry for Sun/Moon is whenever 3DS WiFi shuts down that it would be annoying/hard to get Festival Points for using the stalls if you want or need to. That battle building should make things a bit easier, I hope.

Yeah, sorry that I was so negative in my prior post, I actually did not mean to bash the games. It's true that I simply expected too much from them. Since it was hyped as an "alternate take on the original story" and set in "an alternate version of Alola", I, and many others, expected large changes to the characters and story - I was just let down because that didn't happen. It is just another third version game. And for people who did not play the original Sun/Moon or do not mind playing them again, the games are more than fine - and the new late-game and after-credits gameplay is actually really fun.

No problem! I wasn't annoyed or anything. I was just having a discussion. :) I have been seeing a lot of people online in general (not you specific) seeming disappointed. I think a lot of people expected a Black2/White2 situation when Game Freak themselves said it wasn't. But it's also been a long time since the last 3rd version, so I think some Pokemon fans forgot (or even don't know, since they're maybe newer fans) what a 3rd version is generally like.

Eh, I'm not so sure. Especially Crystal had tons of quite significant changes (animated sprites, trainer gender, Battle Tower...). And even though the changes may not stack up against USUM on paper, Yellow felt like a way bigger leap at the time, too (Pikachu following you, storyline reflecting the anime more closely, more colors and better sprites - which was a huge deal back in the 90s). I agree with Emerald and Platinum, though.

It's been a super long time since I've played Pokemon Blue (literally since the '90s), but I bought VC Pokemon Yellow a few months ago. I never played Yellow back in the day. Yellow is actually hardly different from what I remember from Blue. Jessie/James shows up occasionally (way less than I'd been lead to believe, plus they are easier to beat than typical Team Rocket grunts), your character/your rival get different starters, you can get all 3 old starter Pokemon in the game, there's some color and the sprites for Pokemon are different, Pikachu follows you and is unable to be evolved, there's the surfing mini-game... and that's pretty much it. I've been way underwhelmed by Yellow. It's probably my least favorite of the 3rd versions (I still haven't played Crystal - I own Emerald and Platinum though) so far.

I will say though that one of the biggest things people seem to love about Yellow is following Pikachu though. I don't seem to really get anything from following Pokemon. It doesn't add anything gameplay wise, it's just a cute aesthetic feature. Because of that, I can take it or leave it. I'd probably rate Yellow higher if I was a bigger fan of following Pokemon.

It's been a super long time since I've played Emerald (since it came out, pretty much), but I replayed Platinum before Sun/Moon came out so have recent memories of it. The story additions to Platinum were quite minor. The whole Giratina sub-plot was cool, but was quite short. (I remember Emerald's story being more different since it tried to combine both bad guy teams with their Groudon and Kyogre plots into one game.) Platinum otherwise mainly just added some Pokemon to the Sinnoh dex, added new trainers to fight, and added the Battle Frontier.

Last edited:
Anyone know if Tapu Koko gets any decent physical move tutor moves in USUM?

it can now learn:
Defog
Electroweb
Hyper Voice
Iron Defense
Iron Head
Shock Wave
Sky Attack
Snore
Telekinesis
Thunder Punch

@ DJStarstryker

Yeah I could hardly run sun/moon at an old console at all, either it froze real bad or took ages to load a battle (any type) even if I had animations off so yeah I hope they optimized this since they probably "refuse" to do it New 3ds/ New 2ds only since it would force people to buy the new one and they'd get sued.. etc etc.

Oh well..

My anticipation is above the roof for these games! I'm genuinely so pumped, I cannot explain these feelings of happiness at all. With all the new leaks and news, these look like they'll beat B2W2 for me.

My anticipation is above the roof for these games! I'm genuinely so pumped, I cannot explain these feelings of happiness at all. With all the new leaks and news, these look like they'll beat B2W2 for me.

I will probably get it because I'm trash but yeah not hyped at all. Man.

I will probably get it because I'm trash but yeah not hyped at all. Man.

Because of the lag on the old 3DS? Yeah it'll probably be worse now because apparently it's twice the size of SM somehow.

There is no chance in hell these games are gonna be better than B2W2

Wait so what does Lillie get? Is it really only a Dual Screens Clefairy or are there other mons she gets at the Battle Tree?

Well, I'm gonna pre order mine (hopefully) today! Getting Ultra sun. Had normal sun before but I really like the version exclusive legendaries more in ultra sun.

Well, I'm gonna pre order mine (hopefully) today! Getting Ultra sun. Had normal sun before but I really like the version exclusive legendaries more in ultra sun.

Lol, I kinda hate Solgaleo but yeah Sun always have the better version exclusives rip.

And yeah unless we get free shinies and better stone/evolving items shops this is not better than b2/w2 lol.

Was not hyped for these at all for months and months, as I agreed with everyone that it just looked like a cheap cash grab SuMo clone. I really wish they gave us new alola forms, but new UBs, an actually good looking and extensive aftergame, and all of the new things you get to do during the game itself has me pumped now. I'll probably get ultra sun due to my getting moon last year, plus version exclusives.

Back