• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Pokémon Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon General Discussion

Did anyone else struggle with Kiawe? He?s the first Trial that?s destroyed my team.

I wish people would use the Battle Agency more. It's a really fun new feature, but the level 0 people are really starting to handicap me.

Did anyone else struggle with Kiawe? He’s the first Trial that’s destroyed my team.

I encountered an even harder Pokemon later in the game. It took me three Pokemon to defeat that beast. Two of them were even defeated, as the third one was near defeat.

I have yet to face the final boss, which is on Mount Lanakila.

Last edited:
I wish people would use the Battle Agency more. It's a really fun new feature, but the level 0 people are really starting to handicap me.

It's pretty fun, just kind of out of the way for me though. Most of my time rn is spent random encountering for a shiny Blacephalon >.<

I need to grind more levels for Necrozma but I can't navigate anywhere because the game is pitch black, literally. I can't see the damn grass or routes.

I need to grind more levels for Necrozma but I can't navigate anywhere because the game is pitch black, literally. I can't see the damn grass or routes.

A suggestion - teach Toxic and Protect (TMs - Toxic is in Aether Paradise, Protect is buyable in Heahea City Pokemon Center) to a bulky (good def/special def) Pokemon. Put Toxic on Necrozma on turn 1. Every turn after that, abuse Protect. Toxic will kill Necrozma fairly quickly.

This is what I ended up doing. Even though my entire team was high 50s-low 60s level-wise, Necrozma still 1 or 2 shot killed most of them, and they couldn't hit it hard enough. And this is a team that I purposely bred with perfect IVs and raised with great EVs and very powerful movesets too.

someone give me a team suggestion for the upcoming Johto X Alola competition xo

Did anyone else struggle with Kiawe? He’s the first Trial that’s destroyed my team.

No but that damn Togedemaru took a good while, had to gts/wt for some good stuff before I could even try. Doesn't help my Primarina is weak to like everything totems/team skull uses bc the fairy type.

For those who haven't done a certain post-game sidequest yet:

When you do the Team Rainbow Rocket sidequest, I highly suggest using a Pokemon with Happy Hour (you can get one with the current event Rockruff) and putting Amulet Coin on it. You'll want to use Roto Prize Money and the Pokemon with Happy Hour/Amulet Coin for each of the previous games' team bosses to get over 200k money for each boss. Between that and the 55 big nuggets Wicke gives you at the end, you'll end up with about 3 million in money at the end. It'll help buy a lot of those expensive clothes in the Melemele mall clothes shop!

No but that damn Togedemaru took a good while, had to gts/wt for some good stuff before I could even try. Doesn't help my Primarina is weak to like everything totems/team skull uses bc the fairy type.

Primarina + waterium Z killed togedameru for me. I think primarina was 5 levels higher, but he could take a zing zap without death.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Regarding the gift totem Pok?mon from Oak: Is there any way to identify them apart from their size? I didn?t see anything unique in their menu screens at first glance. I?d like to be able to easily find them in the bank without nicknaming every single one: ?TOTEM!? and stuffing them in a box with the same name, lol.

Use marks.

I've played Pokemon Moon before and i bought Ultra Sun yesterday and I started playing it now. I can already tell the difference. for one, it doesn't take a million years and a bunch of fanfare and acceptance ceremony just to get your starter. You get it right away without a bunch of drama.

I chose Popplio because when I played Moon, I had chosen Rowlet and Litten. I've never given Popplio a chance in Moon so I'm going to give it a chance.

Also, I love how they gave your character a Switch (that's the console that's in your room in-game because Nintendo likes to product placement it's own products LOL). Shoot, ballin'!

There are actual bad guys in this game too. I mean Moon had bad guys, Team Skull and another one but the antagonists in Ultra look like they are going to be a real threat. I mean, just look at how they're dressed. They are definitely up to something.

One thing I did notice didn't change at all: Lillie is still awkward

I keep comparing this to Moon lol

Last edited:
After all these days of playing the lotteries in Festival Plaza, I finally won a Master Ball.

So...I'm loving this game so far!

I have reached Brooklet Hill and these are my impressions so far:

- The Ultra Recon Squad are really interesting, I like Soliera and Phyco's designs along with their dialogue/ alien personalities quite a bit. I'm looking forward to seeing more of them soon. I also like their jingle whenever they are around, the zapping sound is shockingly cool.

- I have noticed a slight change in Hau's attitude this time around and I'm living for it, I think it is implied that he actually beat Hala this time? hmmm....I'm not sure about this change if it is the case, it's what made him special to me in the first place.

- Lillie hasn't changed too much but she mentions the fact that she isn't a Pok?mon Trainer more, which is interesting and I think I might know where that is heading.

- Team Skull are just as entertaining as ever, if not more. I appreciate that they appear more and help gain more exp. :lemon:

- I have liked several of the added bits in already established cut scenes (example: the spearow bridge attack scene and nebby being missing in the meadows).

- The new music and battlefield backgrounds are amazing.

- The fight screen and the ingame menu screen are really nice.

- I like that more pokemon have been added!

My team so far (I named them all after plants):

Lathyrus the male Dartrix (I got him with an adamant nature + alert of sounds characteristic, very happy about that)
Poppy the female Pikachu
Magnolia the female Mawile
Perri(winkle) the male Dewpider

So...I'm loving this game so far!

I have reached Brooklet Hill and these are my impressions so far:

- The Ultra Recon Squad are really interesting, I like Soliera and Phyco's designs along with their dialogue/ alien personalities quite a bit. I'm looking forward to seeing more of them soon. I also like their jingle whenever they are around, the zapping sound is shockingly cool.

- I have noticed a slight change in Hau's attitude this time around and I'm living for it, I think it is implied that he actually beat Hala this time? hmmm....I'm not sure about this change if it is the case, it's what made him special to me in the first place.

- Lillie hasn't changed too much but she mentions the fact that she isn't a Pok?mon Trainer more, which is interesting and I think I might know where that is heading.

- Team Skull are just as entertaining as ever, if not more. I appreciate that they appear more and help gain more exp. :lemon:

- I have liked several of the added bits in already established cut scenes (example: the spearow bridge attack scene and nebby being missing in the meadows).

- The new music and battlefield backgrounds are amazing.

- The fight screen and the ingame menu screen are really nice.

- I like that more pokemon have been added!

My team so far (I named them all after plants):

Lathyrus the male Dartrix (I got him with an adamant nature + alert of sounds characteristic, very happy about that)
Poppy the female Pikachu
Magnolia the female Mawile
Perri(winkle) the male Dewpider

You aint seen nothin ( ͡? ͜ʖ ͡?)

I've completed the Alola Dex and got my shiny charm today. Pretty happy about that. Next set of goals:

- Finish up Alola Living Dex and then continue on with a National Living Dex
- Get to level 50 in Battle Agency (already level 30 or 31, I forget since I haven't played it in a few days)

If anyone here plays Battle Agency and wants to add someone that is NOT a level 0 person (lol), let me know and we can add each other to help each other level up!

Okay, I've made it to Route 10!

I'm going to assume people are smart enough not to check this thread if they don't want any spoilers.

- I like the added side quests, example would be the Dartrix of the deceased Grandfather of a young girl which went missing (which we later return of course).

- I really like that Kantonian Gym in Malie City, it's a nice touch for our character as they are a Kanto native + the Alola & Kanto relations are very prominent in this game more-so than the last game. Which is fine but I don't really like that they are still catering to Kanto fans and generation 1 still...move on and give other generations love.

- I got to see Phyco and Soliera's actual faces and wow.....they are menacing. I definitely know where this story line is going with Lusamine, who is an absolute cinnamon roll btw, they are clearly manipulating her as she seems super sweet and the evil expressions that she made during the Nihilego scene are missing. I doubt she is an real trouble this time around, she still may pose some sort of threat.

- Kiawe and Mallow's trials were a bit easier. I beat Kiawe's in 1 try (took me 3 tries in Moon) and Mallow's in 2 tries (took me 4 in Moon). Lana's trial was harder, I beat Wishiwashi in the previous game in 1 try, it took me 2 tries this time around. So I guess it's more balanced? Which I don't like lol.

- Love the little added Lillie dialogue when we get back from the Aether Foundation, when she asked for my opinion of Lusamine. Shows genuine concern and fear of her; so maybe she is the same and she is still keeping up the fa?ade but being more subtle about it.

- I still hate Faba for being a nit to Wicke and being a general snooty brat. So he's a good villain still.

- The totem stickers which we exchange to get the Totem Pok?mon this time around which is nice for a little side quest!

- I was shook when I saw Mohn in person, makes me believe he will have a larger role in the game and the fact that there are several little notes around Alola hitting that there are several missing people makes me more confident about this. Hope he reunites with Lusamine, Lillie and Gladion.

- I love the little Pok?mon wondering in the background of routes and buildings, I've see Magmar, Fomantis. Bellossom, Slowpoke and many others so far. I also like that Hau and other trainers around Alola have their dominant/ace with them most of the time. It's a nice personal touch which makes you believe their relationships are strong.

My Updated Team!

Lathyrus the Decidueye - Level 34
Perri the Araquanid - Level 32
Poppy the Raichu - Level 32
Florey the Floette - Level 30
Iris the Goomy - Level 30
Dormilon the Komala - Level 30

All of them are named after plants. :)

I was thinking about getting a snow warning female Vulpix instead of Floette if anyone is selling them, please message me. :lemon:

Okay, I've made it to Route 10!

I'm going to assume people are smart enough not to check this thread if they don't want any spoilers.

- I like the added side quests, example would be the Dartrix of the deceased Grandfather of a young girl which went missing (which we later return of course).

- I really like that Kantonian Gym in Malie City, it's a nice touch for our character as they are a Kanto native + the Alola & Kanto relations are very prominent in this game more-so than the last game. Which is fine but I don't really like that they are still catering to Kanto fans and generation 1 still...move on and give other generations love.

- I got to see Phyco and Soliera's actual faces and wow.....they are menacing. I definitely know where this story line is going with Lusamine, who is an absolute cinnamon roll btw, they are clearly manipulating her as she seems super sweet and the evil expressions that she made during the Nihilego scene are missing. I doubt she is an real trouble this time around, she still may pose some sort of threat.

- Kiawe and Mallow's trials were a bit easier. I beat Kiawe's in 1 try (took me 3 tries in Moon) and Mallow's in 2 tries (took me 4 in Moon). Lana's trial was harder, I beat Wishiwashi in the previous game in 1 try, it took me 2 tries this time around. So I guess it's more balanced? Which I don't like lol.

- Love the little added Lillie dialogue when we get back from the Aether Foundation, when she asked for my opinion of Lusamine. Shows genuine concern and fear of her; so maybe she is the same and she is still keeping up the fa?ade but being more subtle about it.

- I still hate Faba for being a nit to Wicke and being a general snooty brat. So he's a good villain still.

- The totem stickers which we exchange to get the Totem Pok?mon this time around which is nice for a little side quest!

- I was shook when I saw Mohn in person, makes me believe he will have a larger role in the game and the fact that there are several little notes around Alola hitting that there are several missing people makes me more confident about this. Hope he reunites with Lusamine, Lillie and Gladion.

- I love the little Pok?mon wondering in the background of routes and buildings, I've see Magmar, Fomantis. Bellossom, Slowpoke and many others so far. I also like that Hau and other trainers around Alola have their dominant/ace with them most of the time. It's a nice personal touch which makes you believe their relationships are strong.

My Updated Team!

Lathyrus the Decidueye - Level 34
Perri the Araquanid - Level 32
Poppy the Raichu - Level 32
Florey the Floette - Level 30
Iris the Goomy - Level 30
Dormilon the Komala - Level 30

All of them are named after plants. :)

I was thinking about getting a snow warning female Vulpix instead of Floette if anyone is selling them, please message me. :lemon:

( ͡? ͜ʖ ͡?)( ͡? ͜ʖ ͡?)( ͡? ͜ʖ ͡?)( ͡? ͜ʖ ͡?)( ͡? ͜ʖ ͡?)( ͡? ͜ʖ ͡?)( ͡? ͜ʖ ͡?)( ͡? ͜ʖ ͡?)( ͡? ͜ʖ ͡?)( ͡? ͜ʖ ͡?)( ͡? ͜ʖ ͡?)( ͡? ͜ʖ ͡?)( ͡? ͜ʖ ͡?)( ͡? ͜ʖ ͡?)( ͡? ͜ʖ ͡?)

Its actually possible to catch Pokemon now in Mount Lanakila before the main plot. The entrance is open and there is a patch of grass where the elavator is, however you cannot climb the mountain.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Also just preceded to realise you're playing Ultra Moon not Sun

Also just preceded to realise you're playing Ultra Moon not Sun

Not just playing Ultra Moon, but he also picked Rowlet as his starter. I picked Rowlet as my starter for Pokemon Ultra Moon too (and I still am waiting for Ultra Sun).

Back