• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Wallace and Gromit (and other Aardman Animations)

forestyne

Finally Left.
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
October Birthstone (Opal)
Flea
giphy.gif

Peter Sallis, OBE, was an English actor known for his work on British Television. He was best-known around the world as the voice actor of Wallace in the hit Wallace and Gromit films. He unfortunately passed away on the 2nd of June 2017, at the age of 96.

Aardman Animations were the pinnacle of my childhood. I, as well as most other British kids, grew up on films like Wallace and Gromit, Creature Comforts, Flushed Away, Shaun the Sheep and the Morph cartoons. They really put stop-motion animation on the map and introduced it to the rest of the world. How present were/are Aardman films in your childhood?

Oh man..... I really love the Wallace and Gromit films. I'm not British so my first exposure was the full-length film but I watched the others afterwards.

i own ALL of the discs i practically grew up on it. so many mems. heck

It was my childhood. I will never forget the laughter and even the tears he brought to so many with his work.

I hope he's enjoying all that good Wensleydale wherever he is now!

I wouldn't say the Wallace and Gromit movies or shows were a big part of my childhood. But, the video game definitely was, and they will always be a happy part of my past. I watched some Shaun the Sheep in high school and liked it, and I really enjoyed Flushed Away whenever it came out. Bless him.

i watched that shiw as a kid!! i was rly afraid of the penguin with a red glove on its head ):

He died? ****.
Well, at least he achieved something good in life which is what's important. I hope his spirit is at peace wherever he is.

Last edited:
I'm happy to see he lived a very long (and I assume fulfilling) life!

Wallace and Gromit were part of my childhood but not a huge part. I live in the US so it wasn't something on TV but my mom's side of the family loved shows from other countries (they traveled a lot because my grandpa was in the air force) so they often got foreign movies and cartoons for me as gifts.

I liked it a lot! A very funny show. It's too bad it wasn't on TV so I don't know anyone else outside my family who's familiar with it.

This is super sad! I loved Wallace and Gromit and watched it quite a bit when I was growing up. I loved the claymation style and the whole personality of it. I can't say how many times I watched the Were-Rabbit one because I had it on a tape and played it a lot.

I really liked them and still do, but admittedly they weren't super present in my childhood compared to other animated stuff. I remember watching Chicken Run the most in my childhood, it was just always on tv for some reason. The Wallace and Gromit movie was adorable. My most favourite Aardman Animations thing has got to be Shaun the Sheep. I went to see the movie with my mum because it's very much a humour (and level of adorableness) that she and I appreciate. And it's just masterful that they can make such a lovely feature length film with no dialogue. Loved it.

There's also these tv segments that air sometimes that are like, someone interviewed people, often children, on mundane topics and then they turn them into stop motion characters. I can't find what it's called but whenever I catch those on tv they always make me laugh.

i watched all of the wallace and gromit animations probably more than 10 times each as a small kid; a grand day out, the wrong trousers, a close shave, the curse of the were-rabbit, the only one i watched once was a matter of loaf and death.
i also watched flushed away more than 10 times, chicken run once or twice, and a lot of shaun the sheep. it's super sad that he's now gone.

Back