Pokémon Pokemon Direct 6/6

Another deluxe game and a remake of a game that is not even 1 year old for the 3ds systems that is almost the same thing as the original ones?

sorry but im dissapointed

Last edited:
Pokken I'm not really excited for. Another Wii U re-release on the Switch...Yay? The Switch would be a great console...If I didn't own a Wii U...

The Ultra Sun/Moon I'm not surprised with or even against, I'm just disappointed that there's a Ultra Sun and Moon. Two versions of the same game already feels redundant these days, so double dipping with two versions of the now inevitable re-release as well seems like a true 'Ubisoft' thing to do...Which isn't surprising considering Ubisoft is practically Nintendo's busom buddy.

I genuinely don't understand people who are upset/unhappy about USUM. They've done this before with BW. And how could you expect them to release a brand new game for the Switch this quickly?

The 3DS came out in 2011. The first Pokemon game for the 3DS (X/Y) came out in 2013.
The DS came in out 2004. The first Pokemon game for the DS (Diamond/Pearl) came in out in 2007 (or 06 if you're Japanese).
The GBA came out in 2001. The first Pokemon game for the GBA (Ruby/Sapphire) came out in 2003 (02 if Japanese).

That's 2-3 YEARS before a new generation of Pokemon is released on a new system.

Sun and Moon came out last year. The Switch came out this year. Do you really think Game Freak had the time to a) create a brand new game for the Switch or b) create a working build of Sun and Moon for the Switch in between then and now? Are you assuming Nintendo would have shared the specs of the Switch with them at least one year before it got released?

I genuinely don't understand people who are upset/unhappy about USUM. They've done this before with BW. And how could you expect them to release a brand new game for the Switch this quickly?

The 3DS came out in 2011. The first Pokemon game for the 3DS (X/Y) came out in 2013.
The DS came in out 2004. The first Pokemon game for the DS (Diamond/Pearl) came in out in 2007 (or 06 if you're Japanese).
The GBA came out in 2001. The first Pokemon game for the GBA (Ruby/Sapphire) came out in 2003 (02 if Japanese).

That's 2-3 YEARS before a new generation of Pokemon is released on a new system.

Sun and Moon came out last year. The Switch came out this year. Do you really think Game Freak had the time to a) create a brand new game for the Switch or b) create a working build of Sun and Moon for the Switch in between then and now? Are you assuming Nintendo would have shared the specs of the Switch with them at least one year before it got released?

I can agree with this. I don't understand why people are so upset about Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon. We barely have any information on the games and people are already making assumptions thats its just same as the original game and nothing will change. Stop jumping to conclusions! You can make an opinion on the game when we have more information on it including plot, pokemon and how the game is structured. Until then, savour the fact that we have a new game to be excited for!

So Pokken Tournament is gonna be on the Switch. I hope the same isn't true for Amiibo Festival (but I wouldn't mind a Happy Home Designer 2.0 for the Switch).

Although I did enjoy Pokemon Sun & Moon, I don't know about getting Ultra Sun or Ultra Moon. I hope we are detached from strings in these two games (meaning we are free to do what we want rather than follow directions all the time.

i think it's honestly so stupid that sun and moon is getting a sequel because in all honesty (at least in my own opinion) it wasn't that great. majority of the pokemon were tryhard looking and ugly. i loved alola, and i did like the characters, but the actual pokemon were mostly disappointments. and ultra beasts.. don't get me started. i hated that concept so bad.

the concept of alternate dimensions was cool yes but ultra beasts were failures from the beginning.

Last edited:
People are actually pissed it's not on switch? I saw leaks that 'hinted' a pokemon switch game but I don't recall them actually confirming they were making Pokemon Stars to switch. The fans are the ones who got their hopes up.

Me neither. We're getting a SUMO direct sequel THIS YEAR.

WHERE'S THE HYPE???

You answered your own question.

We're getting a 3DS game in 2017. People have every right to be pissed that USUM wasn't at least a multi-plat game when they have their Switch and do not want to dial back and play on that disgusting little 240p screen.

Last edited:
What exactly tells you that Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon are the real sequels to Sun and Moon? I couldn't find any evidence of that. At least, not with the official press release:

During Pok?mon Direct, viewers also saw the first footage from the newest titles in the Pok?mon series, Pok?mon Ultra Sun and Pok?mon Ultra Moon. Two new Pok?mon forms were shown resembling that of the Legendary Pok?mon Solgaleo and Lunala. Pok?mon Ultra Sun and Pok?mon Ultra Moon have been powered up with new additions to the story and features from Pok?mon Sun and Pok?mon Moon. Pok?mon Ultra Sun and Pok?mon Ultra Moon are scheduled to release worldwide on November 17, 2017—more information about the games will be revealed later this year.

As if you couldn't tell from the "Ultra" prefix, the press release implies USUM is more akin to an expansion pack of SM. The way they formulated tells that the original story of SM will be expanded, as opposed to a completely new one based on the same settings. And we all know that they're adding more features, too.

With that in mind, I find it odd that they're bringing an enhanced version of Sun and Moon on the same platform as the original games are, yet they didn't took the opportunity to port them to Nintendo Switch in some fashion.

[...]

How comes would porting USUM for the Switch hardware takes just as much time as developing a brand-new mainline Pok?mon game? All they need to do is giving each model a higher polygon count and a higher texture resolution and ensuring the gameplay engine fits within the constraints of the Switch hardware. With everything else already done at that point, it should easily release before a brand-new mainline Pok?mon game.

Source: https://mynintendonews.com/2017/06/06/heres-all-the-details-about-todays-pokemon-nintendo-direct/

Last edited:

Reminder Pearl and Diamond got announced in Late 2004 , so yeaaah.

im hyped, gen 7 was one of my faves

the decision they made makes the most sense imo.
the previous 2 sets of generation remakes are still playable on 3ds (HGSS and ORAS) so why remake another generation for 3ds? gen 4 remakes are happening, but not on 3ds. perhaps switch, or maybe even something we dont know about.
generation 4 games are playable on all 3ds models, which in nintendo history, has never warranted a remake of that game. the generation being remade has never been of a game that is still playable on the system that the remake is being released on. it is too early for a pokemon game on the switch, and the pokemon compamy has abided by the rule of releasing games accessible to the largest group possible (hence B2W2 on ds when 3ds had been out for nearly a year) and way more people have 3ds than switch.

Last edited:
What exactly tells you that Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon are the real sequels to Sun and Moon? I couldn't find any evidence of that. At least, not with the official press release:

As if you couldn't tell from the "Ultra" prefix, the press release implies USUM is more akin to an expansion pack of SM. The way they formulated tells that the original story of SM will be expanded, as opposed to a completely new one based on the same settings. And we all know that they're adding more features, too.

With that in mind, I find it odd that they're bringing an enhanced version of Sun and Moon on the same platform as the original games are, yet they didn't took the opportunity to port them to Nintendo Switch in some fashion.

How comes would porting USUM for the Switch hardware takes just as much time as developing a brand-new mainline Pok?mon game? All they need to do is giving each model a higher polygon count and a higher texture resolution and ensuring the gameplay engine fits within the constraints of the Switch hardware. With everything else already done at that point, it should easily release before a brand-new mainline Pok?mon game.

Well heck, they wouldn't even have to upscale the models really. The current state of 3DS emulation allows games to run outside of the 3DS limitations, and much like it was with the original DS, there are beautiful games hidden under that blurry little screen.

In fact, it's because of how high res the in-game assets are that they run so poorly on the 3DS. Aside from a overworld objects here and there, there would be very minimal work needed graphically to get these looking good on the Switch. Most work would go into altering the UI and things like that so that it works on a single screen again.

Reminder Pearl and Diamond got announced in Late 2004 , so yeaaah.

Yeah, announcement and actually getting it out is not the same thing, especially if it's a brand new console and such. Also i think the Switch is terribly overpriced to buy for that one game so, eh. Also if you would have to pay to play online on the Switch in the future that would probably kill of the series neatly considering it's more of a kids game than any other title they've put out not counting random franchise/trend games.

Yeah, announcement and actually getting it out is not the same thing, especially if it's a brand new console and such. Also i think the Switch is terribly overpriced to buy for that one game so, eh. Also if you would have to pay to play online on the Switch in the future that would probably kill of the series neatly considering it's more of a kids game than any other title they've put out not counting random franchise/trend games.

No, it wouldn't. I swear, the hyperbole here is on NeoGAF levels of insanity. "Oh console X is too expensive/I don't want it for one game so therefore it is going to fail because I say so."

If anything it will only make the online scene better because we won't have to put up with the stupid kids bringing entire teams of legendary Pokemon into random matches 80% of the time. On top of that, $20 for a whole year+a Netflix-like service of free games that Sony/Microsoft have no equivalent to under their $60 yearly service is an insanely good deal. Anyone complaining about that is basically just complaining for the sake of complaining.

Pokemon is a general audience title, like Animal Crossing. It caters to all ages and playstyles. PokePark is Pokemon aimed at kids.

Back