• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Worldwide education. (americas corrupt education system)

helenkeller

fecal sewage ♥
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Okay, so...

Lately I've been noticing that other people my age, that live in different countries are way more educated than a typical American the same age...

I don't even speak a little bit of Spanish. I never got a foreign language credit, but I graduated, and I'm like the only one who never took it?

I feel like me, a 20 year old, is less educated than a 16 year old from the UK.

I also recently learned the American English language is a simplified version... *sigh*

The dumbing down of the American society is depressing. I honestly feel robbed.

Our school systems here are **** too.

****ty lunch, ****ty school board of education, ****ty teachers who bully you more than teach you. I'm honestly not surprised...

My 9th grade teacher literally robbed me of a whole day of learning... (wasn't the first time but the worst..)
I had an EKG done the day before, and missed his class. I tried telling him to let him know, and he said;
"stop talking" "but---" "stop talking I don't need or want to hear what you have to say"
"who thinks ---- should go to the back of class?" (the other half of the room was a lab of like ten computers closed off by a door..)
EVERYONE raised their hands... I got up and just tore him apart... and got belligerent.. I don't want to put what I said/did online, because it is too embarrassing that I would even say/do anything so vile.

My dad called the school, and said he was going to be on call, and if this happened again, he would come handle him on his own, because you just don't harass a child like that..-- the principal knew the threat was serious so he FINALLY did something.

He also docked me one letter grade on a project once. Because I told someone to "shut up" presenting my project to the class--- he told me I was stupid and so was my project. So I said to stfu and let me finish! His "prezi" (website we used for the smart board presentation) was absolutely awful. He got an A to spite me. He even let me know I deserved an A and that he didn't give me one.... But the other kid didn't get docked for being a disrespectful audience member, which being a respectful audience member was apart of the grade. He knows I was on an IEP and struggled to keep my grades up so he said that to make me upset... That would have been my first A on a project... (Oh and it was obvious a lot of people enjoyed my project! I did it for that reason. it was during the time we were reading of mice and men, and it was about friendship. I added a song I knew everyone liked *count on me Bruno mars* and added photos of rob and big, and beavis and butthead, because I KNEW it would get attention! I was the only one there, wise enough to make something really enjoyable yet meeting all of the criteria! I went home and cried for hours.....)

I started the local homeschool program they started up that year a week later after an argument with another teacher. She threatened to put me back in ISS if I didn't pick my head up. Mind me, my IEP was for math.. She was supposed to help anyone on an IEP, and in ISS she made me stay 3extra days, I was behind a week on work. I begged her to help me. She said "nope do your work and get out of iss". After the third extra day, I walked into class and put my head down during notes... My dog was hit by a car (and it was my fault...) and I explained I would get truancy if I took off another day, that I was up all night crying.. She knows my beloved family dog was put down two weeks before. She GRABBED ME and shook me and said "too bad your dog died how is that my problem, do you think I enjoy getting up everyday?" "Do you think I enjoy it? I wake up at 6am to look at your ugly ass for eight hours. Don't touch me, swear on everything I will sue you for your car, your house, and everything you own." She was so shocked I said that (I still laugh at how shocked she was) so she told me to leave, so I made a scene and left and that was the last time I walked into a public school as a student.
(a yr after that, she was talking trash on me in class around other students when my friend mentioned my name. so that really just shows her maturity level for someone in their fifties)

I went to a wonderful school for one year before that. You had no stress of homework. All the work was on computers and I actually learned. I was good at math! I was excelling and doing well in eighth grade. Even though you don't take state tests until 10th they still did OGT practice testing for History, which was the most failed test by students. I finished all of my work two months early! I could have done more, but I chilled the rest of the two months stress free and went into freshman year with half of a freshman credit already. Then that's when it all went downhill....:/

The law is that a school has to provide transportation to people who switch due to the reasons why we left. They were fighting it as hard as they could to not take us, they even had someone time the whole ride there and back.... They tried to sabotage it and drive extra slow. --- We won! But the school moved even farther away, making it impossible to go everyday...

Every day I think about how my education was robbed from me.
This might seem like a bit too much to type, but I had to explain the horror of the American Education System somehow... I do have a few teachers who I love...

If you hate children, please do me a favor, and don't teach!!!!! I actually suffered from this..... even two years after graduating.

Have you had a bad experience like this growing up in school? I feel totally robbed, I constantly worry now because before some adult classes, you need to take math tests. And I know I don't know anything past Algebra 1.... They failed to prepare me for my future. It is their job, and they failed.

Not only is the work simplified, but most of the teachers don't deserve to teach. I have had more bad teachers than good ones. Since kindergarten I was treated horribly by all of the adults... If someone is on an IEP, isn't it your duty to make sure they learn everything and not simplify it for an "easy" way out... Like... Sorry but if I was the one who made the rules, everyone would learn at the same difficulty and not excel some students while holding some back... Its like being the ignored middle child or something wtf. like some kids were so babied they could barely read a sentence at age 15!!!!!! COME ON WAKE UP AMERICA

if you aren't American here is a link to the test that we have to pass to graduate.
this is probably last years test or a mixture of questions from the last few years to get an idea on what level of education were on.
http://ogt.success-ode-state-oh-us....est/testworkbook.aspx?nav=student&nav=student

Last edited:
My Algebra 1 teacher would always say extra comments about me. One time it was so bad that I started crying in the next period. He gave me a worksheet that I didn't know because I was doing make up work and he said to go work with someone but no one works with me in that class, and I said that. And then he was like "It's because you never ask! " But literally if I went to the front and said "can anyone work with me?" They would all stay silent in their seats. He had obvious favoritism and I wasn't the only one because my friend experienced the same thing by him. Always saying those little smart ass comments. I'm supposed to have him next year too...

I would always ask my teachers if they would bring their own kids to my school but I usually end up getting a referral

My Algebra 1 teacher would always say extra comments about me. One time it was so bad that I started crying in the next period. He gave me a worksheet that I didn't know because I was doing make up work and he said to go work with someone but no one works with me in that class, and I said that. And then he was like "It's because you never ask! " But literally if I went to the front and said "can anyone work with me?" They would all stay silent in their seats. He had obvious favoritism and I wasn't the only one because my friend experienced the same thing by him. Always saying those little smart ass comments. I'm supposed to have him next year too...

Stick up for yourself and say something! I did (and still don't) NOT care if you were an adult, give respect to be respected! My math teacher in seventh grade told me to "look in the book" when I asked for help... I sat there and kept my head down so nobody could see that I was about to cry. So I refused to do it, and when he seen I was just refusing he finally decided to help me.... which was good.. I did understand that he probably thought I was being lazy, bc that's before I had the IEP.

I don't know how it feels to not have a friend to work with. I'm lucky I had at least one friend in every class who didn't care if I didn't understand. I wouldn't have been able to take it.. It was horrible enough seeing everybody do their work and be almost done when I'm still on the first question.

Once I had hives in fifth grade, I had strep throat and was allergic to penicillin, but I didn't know that yet and it was prescribed to me. A teacher told me that I looked gross and to get away from her... She has three kids, and said to a child who had a rash (it was extremely close to my eye too) that I looked gross.. But I bet she wouldn't like it if someone did that to her children. She literally made this kid give me everything (from papers to supplies we needed that day) because she didn't want to "be infected". If I WAS contagious, she would have told a small child to come that close to someone with a rash like that. She was adding unnecessary comments as well every time she walked by me, such as pulling her shirt up to cover her face.. and saying crap like "ahhh" "oh my god ew" Well that's the chances you take as a teacher... A college kid was shadowing her that month, and she got close to me, kneeled down and said "are you okay? how are you feeling? you don't feel as bad as you look do you?". THAT WOMAN AND MY HOMEROOM TEACHER ARE THE ONLY ONES WHO ASKED ME IF I WAS OKAY.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I would always ask my teachers if they would bring their own kids to my school but I usually end up getting a referral

Most of the teachers from my school have their children enrolled at other schools.

This one teacher has "relations" with students.... She bent over and exposed her thong to my class... we were in seventh grade so we were 12-13.... she would always bring up her children in class but pull things like that!?!?!? no wonder why they didn't go to our school...........

The education system in Canada is not perfect, but it's definitely pretty good and I don't take it for granted. I had a lot of great teachers, peers, and friends and the atmosphere in some of the schools (here in New Brunswick) is amazing. Students really connect. This alone makes the learning environment so much better. Teachers really want you to succeed. The selection of courses and the amount of help you can get to just make it through high school if you're less academically inclined is amazing.

The education system in Canada is not perfect, but it's definitely pretty good and I don't take it for granted. I had a lot of great teachers, peers, and friends and the atmosphere in some of the schools (here in New Brunswick) is amazing. Students really connect. This alone makes the learning environment so much better. Teachers really want you to succeed. The selection of courses and the amount of help you can get to just make it through high school if you're less academically inclined is amazing.

That's amazing. I wish all schools were that way. That wasn't the case for me. I was treated like I was mentally developmentally disabled up until fifth grade.... Just for being bad at math. I was a third grader reading at a seventh grade level, passed all my AR book tests after I read them, and passing every spelling and vocab test, never misspelled more than two words per test (over all)...and they still threw me in the classes with all the people who had comprehension issues, and other issues similar, because they had an extra teacher who was for special ed. All they had to do was put me in the classes like that for math... But they didn't... I even said I'm not learning enough, but they didn't want to challenge me.

they act like these problems physically disable you from accomplishing something -.-"
like no... it just takes more effort. it doesn't make it impossible. that's Americas problem though... they use the term disability too loosely here

Last edited:
how old are you supposed to be when you take those tests you linked lol

idk a lot about schools in the usa but it's Really bad how further education is extremely expensive. it's so stupid too bc it is good for the economy and society if the population is more educated

how old are you supposed to be when you take those tests you linked lol

idk a lot about schools in the usa but it's Really bad how further education is extremely expensive. it's so stupid too bc it is good for the economy and society if the population is more educated

I was fifteen and a half when I took mine that spring.

british education, which you mentioned as being good, is very subjective to the school you go to. if you go to a paid or "public"/"private" school, you'll probably go to university, get a job as a politician or banker and earn 6 figures, simply because there are about 12 people in a class and they force kids to learn as much as possible to get the best possible grades.

i, however, go to a free school, or a "comprehensive", known as a "comp". you learn the core subjects (maths, english, science) in sets that are divided into ability, but you do not get put into sets of ability for chosen subjects such as art, geography or computer science. in english, no matter what set you are in, you will learn the same amount, just at different speeds and with more/less depth to a certain degree. for science and maths, and many other subjects, you can be entered into "foundation" or "higher" tier. the "foundation" tier is easier, but the maximum grade you can get is a C, or a pass, which now equates to a '4', with the new system. the higher tier is harder, and the lowest grade you can get is a C, and the highest is A*, or on the new system, a 9.

if you do not pass maths or english aged 15/16 in year 11 for your gcses, you are required to resit them aged 16/17 in year 12. a large majority of people do a levels aged 17/18, but you get to pick what you want to do, and depending on how intelligent you are in terms of traditional schooling, you can pick between a levels, a btec course (which is prominently coursework), an apprenticeship with some educational drive, or other more practical courses.

every 2 to 10 years, 'ofsted' comes round each school, and ranks schools on their teachers, performance (gcse or sat results), as well as the environment, pupil attitudes and lots more. this ranking allows the educational board to intervene with schools who are performing poorly, which will be funded more, and then lessen funding to better performing schools. this lessening of funding, however, causes a problem where previously excellent schools gradually fall as their money is taken away. my school, for example, came 2nd in the country's exam league tables in 2015, and so went from ?450 per day per pupil to ?300, and came 4th in 2016, and so went from ?300 to ?270 per day per pupil. our school, to maintain the extra facilities it runs (clubs, groups, social help such as therapists and social workers, including an area for students for special needs) has had to become a charity and accept donations from parents, as well as doing many sponsorship events to raise money for simple things like the paint in the art rooms.

the education department of the government is quite disillusioned. currently, education gets the smallest percentage of funding it has ever done in the history of the budget, and yet they continue to cut it. on top of this, the new 1 to 9 system means that students achieving a pass grade (4) this year seem to have done worse in perspective to a C on a G to A* scale.

honestly, every method of educating children has it's flaws. i had a look at some of the test things and they seemed very simple, if worded a little strangely.

Yeah, America's education system has a lot of problems. We frequently rank lower than top 10 in testing on math, science and reading. I think we like to think of America has having a great, equalizing education system but the reality is less than ideal. One issue that is rarely brought up is that schools are funded in part by property taxes so the higher the value of property, the more funding your school gets. Poorer areas get shafted and poorer students are the ultimate victims. I actually live and work at a public school in South Korea, which is ranked first in 2 of those categories. The government puts so much money into education and schools in poor areas get more funding. Teachers and schools are respected highly by students, parents and society. However, it's not without its problems. The students study constantly and don't have time to be children. High schoolers frequently go to after school tutoring until 10 at night and I've seen some get out at midnight. The teachers are also really strict and they don't encourage creativity or critical thinking. Interesting enough, Finland, which is ranked second and first in those 3 categories, has the opposite philosophy. They encourage students to play and they only go to school for 4 hours a day. I think each nations' education system has its own problems.

educate yourself and git gud

- - - Post Merge - - -

americas education system isnt up to par because we come from an easier and more laid back culture as much as nobody wants to admit it

likke man i study for 2 secs get an A but out in syria ppl are all like "i studied 7 hours yesterday" and im like must be nice...to hve a challenge. and ive gone to private schools my entire life which are way harder than public school so thats saying a lot?

this country definitely has lower standards, i mean this is the country that tells you that Cs are average and it's ok to fail.

--

IMO don't stand up to your teachers, shut the **** up and follow their directions, never talk back, pretend to respect them. so you got one bad teacher. if youre really actually a good student you can get around that 90% of the time with a bit of extra work, perseverance and patience. our system has flaws but still the average student is sooo annoying lol

Last edited:
Yeah, America's education system has a lot of problems. We frequently rank lower than top 10 in testing on math, science and reading. I think we like to think of America has having a great, equalizing education system but the reality is less than ideal. One issue that is rarely brought up is that schools are funded in part by property taxes so the higher the value of property, the more funding your school gets. Poorer areas get shafted and poorer students are the ultimate victims. I actually live and work at a public school in South Korea, which is ranked first in 2 of those categories. The government puts so much money into education and schools in poor areas get more funding. Teachers and schools are respected highly by students, parents and society. However, it's not without its problems. The students study constantly and don't have time to be children. High schoolers frequently go to after school tutoring until 10 at night and I've seen some get out at midnight. The teachers are also really strict and they don't encourage creativity or critical thinking. Interesting enough, Finland, which is ranked second and first in those 3 categories, has the opposite philosophy. They encourage students to play and they only go to school for 4 hours a day. I think each nations' education system has its own problems.
Yeah, I live in Finland and have always found school very relaxed.

The teachers aren't too strict, they don't demand too much of us (or at least I personally have never felt pressured) and the schooldays aren't too long. In high school they're usually 6 hours a day. There's plenty of free time. We never get much homework or any at all. I generally studied very little outside of lessons in high school. We don't have AP or whatever advanced classes. Everyone studies the same things at the same pace. Students who complete their work fast can be given extra work, though. Oh and since I think I read that only some students can take up subjects like music in some countries, I think it's worth mentioning that here everyone's obliged to take them. And in senior high my school offered a computer for every student for 50 euros. I'm still using mine right now...

Pretty much everyone goes to public schools. Private schools aren't really a thing here. There are some, sure, but I've never known anyone who goes to one. Homeschooling is unheard of. The education is free and the teachers good, educated and reasonably fair. I think both OPs teachers should've been kicked out. The food is free too up until university. University is free but you have to buy your own books.

But yeah, of course our system has its problems too. That's just the best bits, lol. I don't know much about the US education system but I definitely want to find out more about it after this. I'm just so taken aback by your experiences, OP. I'm really sorry you had those things happen to you.

I'm sure it depends on where you live in America and what kind of school you go to. The courses my high school offers are really hard because they don't accept people who are lazy or slack off or anything in freshman year. It's not really a corrupt education if you aren't going out of your way to find the best schools and educations in your area, unless thats a whole economic problem. Economics are whats corrupt

Maybe I'm being naive

That's very cool that you teach in Korea! I had a teacher (hated her lol) who taught in South Korea. She lived there for a while and she always talked about it and told stories about living there.

Well it depends on the school. If you go to some really competitive magnet school, you're not gonna see much corruption. I go to a public school and some of the teachers are just awful. I love most of the teachers I've had (especially my AP Lang teacher), but some of them made me wonder if this school just hires anyone. I just finished my junior year and I got three of the worst teachers I've ever seen. All of them were awful at grading, rude and just couldn't teach at all. I barely got an A in two of those classes and was off by .04% for an A in the other class which really made me mad. My teacher didn't let me do anything to get the A. Meanwhile, my physics honors teacher was 2-3 chapters behind the physics standard teacher.

So yeah, it depends on your school, but it doesn't really matter where you go if you just try hard enough. If you get good grades and test scores then high school won't matter. Of course, I feel that your grade depends too much on the teacher rather than your own performance.

my english teacher thrives on violation of ethics, it was a daily thing. she would tell underage students that they should have babies and yet nobody else has a problem with her. its like theyre brainwashed. she reminds me of hillary clinton. both probably not human

took reading 2009 and got 26/48
dunno if that's any good, but it's over 50%

i guess im pretty lucky over here. most teachers here don't care about students, but only about what grades they're getting and that's completely correct. teachers are not there to be your friend.

educate yourself and git gud

- - - Post Merge - - -

americas education system isnt up to par because we come from an easier and more laid back culture as much as nobody wants to admit it

likke man i study for 2 secs get an A but out in syria ppl are all like "i studied 7 hours yesterday" and im like must be nice...to hve a challenge. and ive gone to private schools my entire life which are way harder than public school so thats saying a lot?

this country definitely has lower standards, i mean this is the country that tells you that Cs are average and it's ok to fail.

--

IMO don't stand up to your teachers, shut the **** up and follow their directions, never talk back, pretend to respect them. so you got one bad teacher. if youre really actually a good student you can get around that 90% of the time with a bit of extra work, perseverance and patience. our system has flaws but still the average student is sooo annoying lol

the state school board refused to get involved for more than five years. so when I get publically humiliated I feel obligated to defend myself especially when an adult is repeatedly harassing you.... there is nothing wrong with defending yourself towards a teacher. Just don't go overboard like I did. it wasn't one bad teacher, our school was graded an F in all categories.... also barely passes local levies every year.

not even from a bad area either--- just ****ty people that fill the area lol

- - - Post Merge - - -

my english teacher thrives on violation of ethics, it was a daily thing. she would tell underage students that they should have babies and yet nobody else has a problem with her. its like theyre brainwashed. she reminds me of hillary clinton. both probably not human
lmao the Hillary reference though I hate that succubus

Last edited:
Back