• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

HHD Worth Buying?

helenkeller

fecal sewage ♥
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Is it worth buying? Does it get boring fast and what is the whole initiative of the game???

Honestly, I did get really bored with the game after only 2 weeks (of being completely addicted, mind you). All you do is decorate house after house after facility after facility. There is no challenge because no matter what, as long as you include the few necessary furniture pieces required, the animals are always amazing with the work you have done, even if it's terrible. There is no way to fail, and so there's really nothing rewarding about it. However, if you thoroughly enjoy designing houses in ACNL, and you don't get tired of it easily, you will love this game since there's just so much more designing options. Either way, I like having it, even though I don't believe it is an amazing game at all. I still did enjoy it. :) So it's up to you!

Thanks for the description of the game! I've noticed you have helped me out quite a few times so thank you! I really do appreciate it!

I only have ACNL, Alpha sapphire, Pok?mon red and Mario kart... I had so many chances to get more games, but theres been so many times where I buy a game and it turns out to be complete crap. I haven't played any Nintendo games since I was 13 up until last year, so I am horribly out of the loop on everything Nintendo :(

Thanks for the description of the game! I've noticed you have helped me out quite a few times so thank you! I really do appreciate it!

I only have ACNL, Alpha sapphire, Pok?mon red and Mario kart... I had so many chances to get more games, but theres been so many times where I buy a game and it turns out to be complete crap. I haven't played any Nintendo games since I was 13 up until last year, so I am horribly out of the loop on everything Nintendo :(

I'm glad to be of some help ^_^ I completely understand being out of the loop with Nintendo! When I finally bought my 3DS out of impulse, it was because I discovered that Ocarina of Time was on it plus another completely new Zelda game I had never even heard about (Link Between Worlds). This was a complete surprise to me even though it had been old news to everybody else already. So my advice for you is that if you are simply looking for more AC related games to play, HHD will give you something new to do and if you play it in shorter bursts, you might not tire of it as easily! However, if your main goal is to get a brand new game that you'll love, there are many other choices that are much better and will give you more hours of gameplay without getting bored! For example, Fantasy Life. This is an amazing game and gave me hours and hours of enjoyment! You basically choose a life (like an occupation or class, like in an rpg) and you level up while fighting monsters and playing through the story. It's really charming and I find the art style almost similar to ACNL. Other games I would recommend would be any of the Zelda games (but I'm biased because I love this series so so much!) This includes Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, and Link Between Worlds. I also really enjoyed Triforce Heroes, but since that was ultimately an online game, I'm not sure how many people are even still playing that game :( I promise, these games are far better than HHD if you're looking to add some amazing games to your library. However, like I mentioned, if you simply wanted more AC, then you can definitely try HHD :) Just make sure you absolutely love designing houses!

Could you please explain the story behind legend of Zelda? What is the game about and what do you do? My bf played the one for the vintage systems, and he never quite explained to me what it was, other than being an RPG.
I don't think HHD would be for me, because the same thing repeated would have me burnt out in less than a week. When I play a new game, I play the hell out of it. I got too far in pokemon alpha sapphire way too fast and I've been taking breaks from it. Id probably be farther if my memory wasn't as foggy... since I played the original version

I want to try something new, I'm just not sure what yet.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I got pokemon black because I never got around to getting that one before me and my brother made the trade, in exchange for his ipod touch, he got my dsi and all the games... I knew there was a new gen of pokemon but I didn't mind.

Last year I bought black, because for me, that was next after diamond, platinum, and the gold remake... (those went with the trade sadly)

it was just SO bad. I hated it. I got to my fifth gym badge and just exchanged it back two weeks later because I disliked it that much

Well the short of it is that you play as the hero, Link. You have to save the world, and you go through temples to solve puzzles and fight monsters, explore the world, and have side quests. That's the simple generalised explanation. However, each game is unique in other aspects. I'll try to explain the concept of each game without giving away spoilers. For example, in Ocarina of Time, you are fighting the main bad guy of the entire franchise, Ganondorf. You play this musical instrument, the ocarina, and each song you learn does something special that is important to the game! There is also time travel, as hinted at by the game title. In Majora's Mask, the moon is about to destroy the earth and kill everyone and you have to stop it! This is a very time critical game, meaning everything you do has a time limit since you have to complete it before the moon falls. In Link Between Worlds, Link can turn into a painting and move on walls. I'm really trying to leave out as much detail as possible! But basically, Link goes on an adventure to save the world, solves puzzles and it's really fun because of all the items and environments. You will fall in love with it!

I think I will get a Legend of Zelda game next. What one do you prefer for somebody who has never played before?

Well I started off with Ocarina of Time and fell in love with it, so I suppose you should start with that one ^_^

I wanted to throw my two cents in here too. I definitely agree that you should get Legend of Zelda next because it really is a great series but I hope you still consider HHD too. I was completely obsessed with it for a few weeks but even now I still go back to it pretty frequently. I love using it to pre-design rooms to see if I even like how it looks before going hunting for rare items, which is a huge time saver especially if you need to ask people on the forum if they have certain items and then arranging a trade.

I also really like it to design houses to represent places I like and keep memories. Muffy's house is designed to look like the hotel room my hubby and I stayed in when we finally decided that Colorado was the right place for us. Olaf's house is designed to look like the condo I just moved into.

I've clocked close to 300 hours into the game which is some really great entertainment value considering it's only a $40 game.

Would this game help me with designing my own house in New Leaf? I have a hard time ordering furniture that I think would look nice and having an almost complete catalog makes it extra hard. I need a layout before I start things or I get too overwhelmed and you just can't do that in New Leaf... Despite having a nicely landscaped town, I've never ever decorated my house before.

Would this game help me with designing my own house in New Leaf? I have a hard time ordering furniture that I think would look nice and having an almost complete catalog makes it extra hard. I need a layout before I start things or I get too overwhelmed and you just can't do that in New Leaf... Despite having a nicely landscaped town, I've never ever decorated my house before.

Definitely, but the villagers will give you specific themes or you will have to design a certain kind of building like a school, so your creativity is limited in that way.

To OP: Just wanted to say that Super Mario 3D Land is a great classic platformer and Pok?mon X is, in my opinion, much better than Alpha Sapphire (played both) if you finish it and want to play another Pok?mon (although I have not played Pok?mon Sun yet and it could be even better). I also recommend checking out some demos for games like Tomodachi Life which is a quirky but fun little game and the demo can help you decide if it's worth buying.

Happy Home Designer was already downloaded on my 3DS when I bought it so I didn't have to pay for it, but I did really enjoy a lot of the game at first. That being said, if you were going to buy it I would search for the cheapest copy you can find online because it provides only so much entertainment.

I purchased "Happy Home Designer" when it was released in the United States on September 25, 2015. I don't play it much. When I do play it, I may do so for a few days and, after that, I will stop for a while (which will happen for a period I can't predict).

In "Happy Home Designer," I found that accessing pieces of furniture (I like the box sofa which comes from the Uchi bear with amiibo number 224, Paula) to have been necessary in having a broad selection of furniture for each character whose house and property you will decorate. So, that can feel satisfying. But, it's not as fulfilling as "New Leaf." In "New Leaf," you bond with the villagers. But, in "Happy Home Designer," it's not emotionally connecting.

I recommend "Happy Home Designer" just for any imagination and pleasure you may find is stimulating while you are playing it. There is also linking "New Leaf" and "Happy Home Designer," due to the November 2016 "Welcome amiibo" update, for some interesting furniture pieces you can have in "New Leaf."

At this point, the prices are no longer at the level they were when "Happy Home Designer" was released. So, that may be considered an advantage.

Last edited:
I wasn't going to get HHD. A friend of mine at the time convinced me to buy it with him so we could experience it together (it was brand new then), so I reluctantly bought it.
I enjoyed the initial concept, but after some time, the game grew stale to me. I haven't played it in a long time, because I've finished my town in the game and have nothing else to do.

At this point, I'd say the only point in buying and playing HHD to completion is because it will unlock you some cool new furniture to order from the catalog in New Leaf. If you're looking for a new AC title to lose yourself in, HHD will not be that. :(

Last edited:
I got HHD on the day it came out and I still play it sporadically, but I definitely agree with other people who says that it's a game that you can binge on then get tired of quickly. It's nice to have so many new items and ways to decorate but it's not as involved as ACNL and you don't get to decorate your landscape or anything so I feel it's a bit less enticing as previous games like new leaf. I'm not saying it's not fun or anything, I certainly enjoy it, but it's probably only worth the money is you enjoy decorating a lot and don't mind missing aspects that are in other games.

I nearly got HHD yesterday, but I second guessed because I remember watching a couple of complete game plays (I often do this so I get the feel for the game because I don't want to hoard games I don't end up touching- like my Harvest Moon: A New Beginning T__T).

Anyways, even watching it it seemed really repetitive, and it's only really good if you need practice on designing your rooms in New Leaf (which was what some gamers on youtube used it for). If you're into that, maybe you'll be obsessed with this one too! :p

Definitely get Zelda if you haven't already. I got Majora's Mask last year (my 1st zelda game) and absolutely fell in love with it!

I might actually download it even though I like having physical copies of my games. I haven't been out to GameStop in a while though.

I guess it's worth buying if you want to improve your interior design skills. Although the animals are pretty much pleased with everything you make. Before I got HHD, I was pretty terrible with interior design and I lacked creativity. I'd put all my furniture against the walls, have furniture all from the same set in one room and so on. Considering how many animal's rooms I had to decorate, it encouraged me to try to make them different from eachother and try different techniques. Though there's no real reward for doing that, I just thought if I went to look back on rooms I decorated, I wouldn't want them all to look too similar. Keep in mind if you do choose to get the game, DLC is no longer in effect. I'm not too sure about the monthly challenge though.

It's cute and fun, but should have had much more integration with ACNL imo. It is a shame one can't save HHD data to an Amiibo and transfer their house to a ACNL game.

Back