• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

AC:NL Movelocke (Just an idea I came up with)

HappyDolphin

Bells
This is heavily inspired by a popular way to play Pokemon (Nuzlocke). ;)

The 2 rules are:

If a villager suggests moving out, you must let them move out, no matter what.

If you have a slot/a few slots open in your town and a villager is in the campsite, you must force them to move in no matter what.

"But why?"

Well, the reason why I made this up is so people can have (possibly emotional) bonds with villagers people thought they'd never put in their own towns, knowing that they might suggest moving out at any moment.

"What games does this work on?"

Definitely NOT ACGC because villagers are forced to move out if there's a full town. I don't know whether or not you can adopt villagers from the igloos in ACGC, but if you can, then the second rule can apply well.

If you just want to play the first rule, WW and CF can work well, too, but villagers can pack up their boxes on random, so if you don't look through the villager houses often, it's perfectly OK.

If you want to play both of the rules, use NL. The first rule will only apply before you get the campsite, but after the campsite's built, both rules are in effect.

Of course, this is an optional way to make your AC games more emotional. Feel free to suggest some other fanmade rules to make this idea better (like banning the use of Amiibo, MEOW coupons, shopping/selling somewhere, etc)!

Great minds think alike!

One fantasy I had for a new town was one of tranquility and zero maintenance, with many particular rules established upon the game play. I called this list of rules a "Zenlock," and you listed two of the major rules that would be enforced.

Anyways, here are my rules list for a Zenlock town:

1. You must start the town with 4 character players, and all of them must be spread far away from each other.
2. Each player's home cannot expand any more than a 6-by-6 plot - which is the same size as all villager interiors.
3. No Amiibo Villagers allowed in town - but items and furniture from the cards can be used.
4. If a camper appears, and have fewer than 10 villagers, you must be obliged to make the camper move into your town.
5. If a villager asks to move out, you must allow them to choose to move out.
6. There's only one way you may use path patterns: You must use them to create a 5 space territorial boundary around all town buildings and homes any time there is a chance a villager may move into your town. Otherwise, no path patterns are allowed to be placed on the ground.
7. You may only choose permanent works projects, and ones that are derived almost entirely from nature: Like the Rack of Rice, Geyser, Hot Spring, Wooden Bridge, Log Bench, etc... I may need to make a strict list on this.

Otherwise, anything else goes. I'd love to see how dream towns work that follow these rules!

Woah! Some of the rules from here are still in place in the Movelocke (Rule 4 and 5)

I kinda want to contact some YouTubers about this. The Zenlock.. man, that would be a great YouTube gameplay!

Nice thinking!

I like the idea of letting randoms and campers move in but I usually have a hard time letting anyone go u.u I have a similar rule going in my 2nd town of letting those "random" leave if they want but I have to get their pictures first. But those I really get attached to i let them stay... like my babies static and pecan u.u

this idea stresses me out omg

It would stress me out, too - if it were the only town I could build. I would only enact this idea as a secondary town to the one I already have. My Zenlock is a design challenge and an experiment for players to try out!

Think of it just like a Nuzlock in Pokemon: Anyone who plays that way as the primary form of storing all their Pokemon and Items - and training toward the expert battle facilities - must be straight out crazy. But as something secondary, and with your main town to come back to, I think it might be fun.

Last edited:
I'm not going to judge anyone who does this, but this is basically the exact opposite of how I play the game. Getting the villagers I want, moving them into the perfect spot, and keeping them from moving is basically why I play. You do you, though. If you think you'll have fun playing with those rules, then go for it. :)

Last edited:
this would be rad tbh i might try this in the summer when i have free time™

Haha this is a great idea! I don't think I would ever actually do it since I only have one copy of ACNL, but definitely an interesting take on the game!! Still, I think at least in my case I would also see asking a villager to stay to be realistic because if one of my best friends actually came up to me and was like "Hey I might move????" I would definitely be like "What why no??" lol. Either way, sounds like fun!! :)

Back