• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Seeking Advice: Spawning Tarantula

tifachu

。*・゜☆・ ゜✧・。 • ・
Bells
Switch
8395-2476-4795
Spring Sakura
Spring Sakura
Spring Sakura
Spring Sakura
Spring Sakura
Spring Sakura
Love Ball
Zen Easter Egg
Kirby Easter Egg
Zen Easter Egg
So I'm trying to fill up my encyclopedia, the only in-season bug I have yet to catch is the tarantula.

I've probably encountered it 4-5 times throughout my years in New leaf,
and I've already seen it twice in the past few days without intending to!
Both times it was in the same general area-- north of one of my bridges, just south of a large area that is pretty much vacant of flowers/trees.

Does anybody else remember where they caught/seen their tarantulas? I wonder if PWPs or plants influence them, or maybe the spawning area is just completely random and the past two times i've seen it were coincidence? I've just started trying to save+continue in the area i've seen it, hoping it will spawn eventually but maybe walking around my town would help too..

Also, is it known if they can they spawn in flowers? And are they constantly walking around in circles or does that only happen once they are nearby/visible?

Last edited:
I caught mine right next to the train tracks, as I was on my way to Main Street.

I saw another in front of Angus' house.
That one bit me. :D

They don't spawn in any particular place I don't think... just the ground. Just keep doing what you normally do around 7pm-4am and one will appear eventually I guess. They pop out a lot for me. .-.

Last edited:
I'm looking for one right now. It hasn't spawned yet at all though. I've never even seen one before so it's kinda exciting!

Every time I see one it literally vanishes into thin air. Wtf.

@Jon_Snow:
Haha good job! I got bit the just today D:

@Nox:
That makes sense! I just don't want to miss it if it's in some flowers or something D:

@Arize :
Good luck!! Hopefully it doesn't scare you xD

@Licorice:
same, it took me a while to switch out my net from my mail space to my inventory space and it was gone D: and when it doesnt disappear i get myself bitten... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Sometimes they'll be a pain by jumping in a body of water or falling off a cliff. The most recent one I've encounter disappeared in a tree. ACNL logic am I right?:rolleyes:

I had to catch 8 scorpions for one of my rooms so I have a lot of experience. I saw more tarantulas than scorpions so despite having the same appearance rate, that could be of some comfort. I don't know if the game was just messing with me because it knew I needed scorpions but that was the case for me. Yes, scorpions and tarantulas tend to spawn in "desert" areas, with less flowers and trees. However they CAN spawn in areas completely filled with flowers and near PWPs as well, it just happens less frequently. I found the most tarantulas in my plaza and in front of my train station. Actually, I don't think they really spawn in random places, or at least because of something in my town, they didn't for me (possibly the flowers/trees everywhere). There were 6 spawn points in my town where they would appear and I would hit up each place and then go into the train station or save and continue to restart spawns. They walk in circles in the same general area unless you trigger their flight response and they start running away. Remember the spots where you saw them! You can walk throughout your town and try to find where the spawn points are, although you'll first have to have a lot of encounters to figure that out and you'll probably have caught one by then. Hit up those spots. Once you know them, it could take an hour or more to find them. Sometimes it would spawn after 10 minutes and other times, I wouldn't be so lucky. Be patient and ready. Good luck!

If you know where it spaws alot just sane and continue until it appears

I had to catch 8 scorpions for one of my rooms so I have a lot of experience. I saw more tarantulas than scorpions so despite having the same appearance rate, that could be of some comfort. I don't know if the game was just messing with me because it knew I needed scorpions but that was the case for me. Yes, scorpions and tarantulas tend to spawn in "desert" areas, with less flowers and trees. However they CAN spawn in areas completely filled with flowers and near PWPs as well, it just happens less frequently. I found the most tarantulas in my plaza and in front of my train station. Actually, I don't think they really spawn in random places, or at least because of something in my town, they didn't for me (possibly the flowers/trees everywhere). There were 6 spawn points in my town where they would appear and I would hit up each place and then go into the train station or save and continue to restart spawns. They walk in circles in the same general area unless you trigger their flight response and they start running away. Remember the spots where you saw them! You can walk throughout your town and try to find where the spawn points are, although you'll first have to have a lot of encounters to figure that out and you'll probably have caught one by then. Hit up those spots. Once you know them, it could take an hour or more to find them. Sometimes it would spawn after 10 minutes and other times, I wouldn't be so lucky. Be patient and ready. Good luck!

So, if I have filled my town with flowers am I out of luck?

I honestly don't have room, even with secret storage, to store them all elsewhere. I covered everything that isn't a path or a tree with flowers, so.... I only have 2 areas that are just "dirt."

I cringe at the idea of the work it would take to move all those flowers and then put them all back when done...

So, if I have filled my town with flowers am I out of luck?

I honestly don't have room, even with secret storage, to store them all elsewhere. I covered everything that isn't a path or a tree with flowers, so.... I only have 2 areas that are just "dirt."

I cringe at the idea of the work it would take to move all those flowers and then put them all back when done...

Nope, my town was also filled with flowers so don't worry! They just TEND to spawn in areas with no flowers or trees but there were a few spawn points that were completely covered in flowers that they appeared in. Check your plaza and train station because that's where I found the most tarantulas/scorpions, because there are no flowers or trees there. If you happen to find a spawn point that's covered in flowers, I would take out some flowers in THAT area. That way you don't have to move ALL your flowers, just some.

Back