• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

PWP suggestions for a woodsy magic town?

cindersinned

Bells
Tasty Cake
Hey all... I'm kind of new to the idea of theming a town, but right now I think I'm going for a "magical town in the woods" kind of vibe. Cutesy, not witchy! I've also tried to nail a colour scheme of pink, peach, brown and white.

With that in mind, does anyone have any suggestions of what PWPs to build, or anything else which might help the town? Right now I have a fence, the classic police station, the fountain, the campsite, and a wood bench. I like the fairytale stuff but some of it is a bit too much for my tastes... oh, and both of my bridges are cobblestone but I'm going to change that once I decide on what bridge type to use.

Aaah, my favorite town theme! I'm working on a woodsy/magic sort of town as well right now, based mostly around elves. It's sort of an echo to an old town I had but deleted, I wish I had screenshots to share so you could have some ideas :( I can give you my personal suggestions, though~!

- In most of my towns where I want a woodsy theme, I tend to separate at least on section of town I'd consider either residential or at least the 'main street'. Usually it's the area wherever my train station/hall are. For a magicky theme, I'd probably use more of the fairytale pwps in this particularly area, and then save wherever my woods-woods is for something else.

- I think the zen pwps look really nice in woods!

- Stonehenge, stone tablet, statue fountain, water pump, wysteria trellis... These are some pwp's I'd consider.

- If you want a naturally grown forest look, something I like to do is plant a bamboo shoot in that area and just let it spread. Seeds will spread and grow randomly all over the place, and eventually you can just cut them down and replace most of the bamboo with actual trees~

- - - Post Merge - - -

Bamboo trick makes it looks a bit more natural and random to me. I tried planting trees myself and picking spots for them, but it was way too organized and linear.

I definitely can think of more things for you, I just need some time to wake up xD

- - - Post Merge - - -

This idea might be a bit too time consuming and tedious for most, but I find it really helps me out personally. I like to make gridded maps of my towns in paint and use that to plan things out. It helps me with spacing and laying down paths, etc. And it doesn't actually take too long to do! Maybe it'll take me about an hour to finish setting up. I mostly dig holes to count where things are spaced from my train station out.

Black squares = rocks
Light green = hedges
dark green = trees
yellow = lampposts

etc~

LlothienMap.jpg

I thought that image would be bigger..

Last edited:
the fire pit would look nice, i think! the picnic basket too!
i think the bridges should be either suspension, wooden or brick. i like wooden best with your town theme but the other two could also look nice!

In the old town I had, I also made one of my human character's homes look like a medieval tavern.

In my current town (the one that map is of) I plan to have a castle to the left of the train station. The house below the river in that little loop is my mayor's house, but it's going to be a temple of the moon. I haven't decided what the third house across the river from my mayor will be just yet. I might do another tavern, but i might just make it a little gardner's cottage or something.

I'm sorry for posting so much! This town idea just gets me so excited!

Last edited:
Ahhh, thank you for your suggestions! I sort of have two "residential" areas, but they were accidental - four of my villagers are all clumped next to Town Hall with Sylvana moving in a little to the north, there's another area with like three of them, and then Flurry and Harry decided to be super awkward.

I have no bamboo. I don't even know where to get it. For the record, I'm still on the second Nookling shop. I do have the suspension bridge available though, and now that I think about it, it might look quite nice. I also have a few zen PWPs available... I'll have to double-check my options with Isabelle tomorrow.

The planning map idea is a good one! I'll try taking a photo of the map and pixelling over it, that might speed things up.

Ahhh, thank you for your suggestions! I sort of have two "residential" areas, but they were accidental - four of my villagers are all clumped next to Town Hall with Sylvana moving in a little to the north, there's another area with like three of them, and then Flurry and Harry decided to be super awkward.

I have no bamboo. I don't even know where to get it. For the record, I'm still on the second Nookling shop. I do have the suspension bridge available though, and now that I think about it, it might look quite nice. I also have a few zen PWPs available... I'll have to double-check my options with Isabelle tomorrow.

The planning map idea is a good one! I'll try taking a photo of the map and pixelling over it, that might speed things up.

You're very welcome! For the bamboo, you can probably find people selling or willing to trade some here on the forums. I got luck and one of my villagers just randomly gave me a bamboo shoot. I don't know if I'll use it yet. Suspension bridges are super lovely, I like them a lot. Something I also did in my old town was I placed the default pwp's for certain things (like the lamps, clock, etc) in the places I eventually wanted the themed versions to go, and then by the time they were suggested I just destroyed and rebuilt. I'd only suggest that if you have the bells to spare, but for me it was nice being able to see like the lampposts as I was going. You could also make some patterns that just say things like "PWP, Bush, Tree" etc and place those down in areas you plan to build/plant something. I do that alongside the gridded map, especially now that villagers can't move onto patterns/paths anymore!

Doing the pixel over a map screenshots is also a good idea and works for a lot of people. I prefer doing it in paint personally, but there is a guide on how to do it the other way! I'll try to find it for you!

- - - Post Merge - - -

I found the guide, but I can't find the grid it uses. i think it's a bit different than the one I use, since this covers the screenshot. http://i61.tinypic.com/zti7q.jpg

this wasn't my post, but thank you ashubii!!! your tips for cindersinned have given me lots of ideas for my town too :blush:

i also didn't know how to take a picture of my map, so thank you for that guide- it'll help a lot!!!

I think the stone tablet and the well could be good PWP's to use. The geyser and windmill as well.

this wasn't my post, but thank you ashubii!!! your tips for cindersinned have given me lots of ideas for my town too :blush:

i also didn't know how to take a picture of my map, so thank you for that guide- it'll help a lot!!!

You're very welcome, I'm so happy to help! I feel like I could think of so many more things to do for a magic/woods town. I was hoping to find images from my old town to share for inspiration, but that's proven difficult :c (not to say my town was anything extraordinary, but I really loved it)

I found a tumblr post a friend did of my old town while it was still in development; mostly interior screenshots though :c

http://solitudebulletinboard.tumblr.com/post/114912052240/visiting-towns-everleaf

Last edited:
One that I don't think I saw mentioned was the log bench, that makes me think of a little fairy tale in the woods like snow white

Bus stop. Totem pole. Stone hendge.

A fairy tale clock with a bench behind it as a secret little plaza area could be very neat.

If you're open to suggestions, jacbos ladders add a whimsical feel. Holly and hydrangea are really nice bushes to use. Cosmos as well maybe.

Wisteria trellis, water well, water pump maybe, stone henge, stone tablet, log bench, bus stop.

You could put little paths almost "secret/hidden" paths to PWPs or forest clearings, lined heavily with bushes/trees/flowers etc.
Have lots of clovers and light flowers surrounding surrounding everything. :)
Maybe collect mushrooms and have a clearing in a forest where you have a mushroom circle and lots of flowers, like a fairy-ring!
Also, they aren't PWPs but planting trees then cutting them down make really cute little seats/hangout spots for if you have visitors.
I've seen a town before use patterns to simulate a pond or something with stepping stones in it, I don't know if I could find the dream address again though since this was years ago, but I thought it was really neat, and if youre down to having an extra player-character in your town just to store the patterns it would be worth it, you could probably make or find patterns online.

Last edited:
The wisteria trellis (I'm not sure how to spell it) would probably add to the woodsy-nature theme and add a bit of color too. I'll also go with what was said earlier and recommend the log bench,as that would really go nicely with the woodsy theme you're trying to achieve.

Back