• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

What's YOUR backstory?

RandomGuy331

Not Junior Member
Bells
At the start of every new save file, the player opens their eyes on a train headed for nowhere, sitting in an empty cart save for a cat with a sweater as red as his eyes. Noting the ticket in your hand, he strikes up a conversation; before you know it, the train has arrived and your new life begins.

But what happened before?

The in-game letters from "Mom" and "Dad" don't offer much about your hometown, other than the fact that they own an orchard of some kind (for me they sent a perfect apple to my orange-tree town). This opens up the question of what life was like before the player decided to turn over a New Leaf, and how they ended up in a world of talking animals.

It can be as simple as taking the wrong train or as complicated as the whole thing being a fever dream and resetting means that the player just woke up or something.'

What's YOUR backstory?

[SUB]I apologize if this has been done before and it seems redundant but I'm curious[/SUB]

Last edited:
None of the other animals seemed to know what a 'human' was, just that the 'humans' were very odd looking animals. My family and I always lived beside them, but I always felt like an outcast with all my normal animal peers. On the day I turned 18 I left with no destination to find myself a new town to live in, where nobody else knew about my lonely upbringing. I ended up falling asleep on the train and when Rover asked where I was going, I looked at the first town I saw on the map and improvised. Then I actually ended up going there just to test the waters. I had no idea I would end up being the mayor.

Omg this thread idea is so pure-

I think I was brought up by really loving and doting parents (and Mom is still a hover-mom because she sends me things like umbrellas before rainy season and fruit), but I had a lot of wanderlust. I traveled all over the world, and made a lot of ethnically diverse friends (all of different species, of course!), and one day, in my PO box (because I traveled a lot and didn't have a permanent mailbox), I found a letter with a ticket to my town! The letter said something along the lines of, "i'm sure you've had an amazing time traveling, but i think you should settle down. the last place you should visit is this town." The letter was signed by "An Old Friend," so I can never be sure which one of my friends I made during my travels sent me the ticket and letter, but I decided to go to the town (it sounded fun, like a scavenger hunt), and I ended up in my current town! I'll never know who was supposed to be Mayor- probably the old friend who sent me the ticket, but I guess I'll never know!!!!!!!

ahh so cheesy :blush:

ohhhohohoho. i like this one.

*crackes knuckles as i make everything up on the spot*

Masika didn't exactly know where she was going, other than the fact that she was going somewhere. Eitherway, she left her parents nest. (Literally a nest. She and her parents shared a nest in a tree, although that was on meteor shower nights when they gazed and wished at the shooting stars. The rest of the times they lived in the house thats right next to the tree.) And boarded on the train to start an independent life. She was growing up, and it was time for her to take responsibility and be on her own. Not for the sake of being responsible, but because her family was barely living off of plants, as they lived the city life. She managed to find just enough spare gold coins stuck in the gum underneath the train station seats and got herself a ticket.

So she boarded on the train, gave the conductor a nod, and seated away from a gentleman, by the windowside. It was strange that the moment the train went through a dark tunnel, then came out at the other end to a different landscape, the conductor was gone, replaced with a monkey, and the gentleman was gone, replaced with a cat. She glanced in the reflection of the window, checking to see if she turned into an animal too, only to find that she didn't then felt silly, figuring that it mustve been a magic trick. Since humans often used animals to do silly tricks for entertainment.

Until the cat got off his chair, and walked over to her and started talking. Suddenly, after passing through the tunnel, Masika knew where she was going. Yet... she forgot where she had came from.

She received mail from someone who was supposed to be the mayor of the town that she had gotten herself involved with. Perhaps there lies a clue in the Unknown Sender.

She had never meant for it to go that far. She hadn't expected for the family to turn on her, to take her sister's side. So she hitched a ride going nowhere and ended up on a train bound for a place that she knew she had never been to yet felt oddly familiar: Wisteria. Except she never dreamed he would find her.

I've really grown to love it here. The animals are so kind, and running this little quaint town makes me feel like I have a soul again. But I still am cautious of them, especially the ones that comment on my eye-patch. I know they're concerned, but they don't need a splash of darkness in their world. But now, things are different. Who knew he'd find me, even out here?

I'll make a fresh start in this clandestine town of animals. They will never know I am the son of Dexter Morgan. -_-

I grew up on a small farm, forced to work on it with my family. My family was actually very nice, my mother always helping me on the fields, my dad helping provide a roof over my head, and my younger sister being the most fun person on the planet. We were not isolated from society; we lived in the suburbs, providing food to everyone in the small town. One day, we were working on the farm, as usual. I was weeding, mom was tilling some soil, and my little sister was cheerfully picking some oranges. My father was working on some bills in the house, but suddenly, he ran through the gates, trampling all the saplings with an envelope in his hand and a very worried look on his face.

"Patrick!" Mom shouted. "You can't just start trampling the saplings like that! We just planted those!"

Dad suddenly burst into tears, probably enough to water our field five times. Once he settled down, he sniffled, "Th-there won't b-be a farm any-time soon..."

"What are you talking about? We're here right now, doing just fine with the orchard! Why would the farm be gone!?"

Dad tore open the envelope, showing an official document. From a distance I could see tears running down Mom's cheeks as she read through the document. I ran over to them, reading the document.

Patrick Costales-Downey,

We send our sincere thanks for all of your hard work to bring food to our humble little city. However, the Council of Oakland wants to expand their land to everything past West Tennyson Road, and that includes your farm. We have requested to keep the farm, but Oakland said they had very big plans for your farmland, so we will have to move you elsewhere. However, with no available space left in our share of the land, we must request you move out of Hayward.

We send our sincere apologies. To show our gratitude, we have found fertile farmland for you to make a fresh start in. It is located in Yukanra. The council would be glad to welcome you into the farm, but there is no house for you. The city can provide you with a small barn. However, it might not accumulate everyone in the family. You may have to move someone somewhere else.

Best wishes,
Hayward Council

I instantly knew what I had to do.

I had scraped together only just enough cash to buy a train ticket, though I was not sure where I was supposed to go. All I could do is hope I find a way to make a living for myself. I took the 47A to a town called Alameda, where there was a simple economy I could work with. Before I went, I left a letter to my family and a very good friend of mine, Dillon. He always took the 47A to get to school, and one day I met him out to buy groceries. He was always obscure to me, but we always sent letters to each other. I don't recall much of his physical appearance, but all I know is that he had a cat named Rover that always seemed to be doing strange things. I ran to the train station in the middle of the night. On the way, I saw Dillon taking his cat to the 47A. He told me he wanted to take him to a special park, and he had to get there by train because it was too far to walk. We boarded together at exactly 2 a.m. The train was full, but we managed to squeeze in seats. He sat in a seat not too far from were I was sitting. We started talking, but then he brought up Amelia, my younger sister, and I started to cry. Memories flooded my head of all the good times I had with my family, and my tears blurred my vision and everything seemed far off. I couldn't hear anything but my crying.

When I finally wiped my tears and shut my trap, everyone was off the train. Even Dillon was gone. In his place was a bipedal, English-speaking Rover wearing a sweater. My mouth hung open. I tried to say something, but no words came out. He asked me a bunch of questions that I had to answer on the fly. Boy, I thought, somewhat human Rover is really talkative. My stop was announced, and sent somewhat human Rover a goodbye. When I got off the train, a crazy chimp of a conductor greeted me and handed me a town map. I went off without saying a word. I stepped out into the bright sunlight and thought I lost my mind. A rhino that looked like a strawberry shortcake, an Albino rabbit, and a yellow mouse were all acting like humans and gossiping about me. A shiba inu was also acting like them, but did so in an important and official manner. After a couple of odd whisperings, everyone finally shouted a big, "Welcome, Mayor!" I thought I must have taken the wrong train. I said this must be a mistake, but everyone was warmingly getting me, and I couldn't back out. Later, I got mail that used familiar stationary and familiar handwriting. It was labeled unknown, but I knew exactly who wrote it.

Last edited:
is this an opportunity to write about Mayvale??? Ohhhh yes. <3

"Hello... hello~?"

The dusky scenery painted beyond the margin of a pair of eyelids is tainted an eerie purple as twilight filters from a window with curtains drawn - a brilliant ache coloring her vision as she struggles to focus on a pocket watch where time has long stopped ticking. She stirs and the pain intensifies, a scorching nail burrying directly through her ribcage, the reverberating agony trickling slowly down her spine.

And there is something missing.

"Oh good~" the voice carries on, the tone shifting to become softer, almost like a purr. "It appears that you have awakened, splendid!" but she cannot move at all, as a matter of fact she's beginning to doubt the words she hears because she's not in control - suspended bellow the surface somewhere behind the stormy green that swims hazily in her eyes.

"Your name... what is it?"

And when the question comes she's compelled to answer. She opens her mouth and her first deep breath tastes of metal.

What color is fear?

"Good... at least you remember that much."

The sound of her own voice that she couldn't hear.

"Welcome to Mayvale, Mayor."

And when she darts awake, with the beginning of a horrible migraine gnashing with jaws jagged at her tired mind, she feels the afterthought of hurt she can never remember.

Every night the same dream. A nightmare from which she wakes up screaming without any memory other than that she's on a train bound to...

where?

And a voice that whispers to her they're sorry.

And then come the letters from the senders she cannot recall and the murmur of the trees at night. The darkness that makes familiar paths grow frightful settles in, encroaching on one's heart like poison.

And then come the animal villagers that rest an uneasy slumber yet always seem to rise to greet the day with a smile. And Artemos with his one eye and LeBlance who always smiles yet nobody ever claims to have seen him smiling.

There is a truth, always hovering just on the outskirts of her conscious mind, that constantly eludes her.

And the town that always looks pristine by day.

But there had been a clock that had stopped ticking. And there had been a cat.

How many doors hold secrets that windows forget?

I really enjoy seeing everyone's different takes on the story of their character, but come on people, only seven are brave enough?

It doesn't have to be a final copy if that's holding anyone back. I just want to see how some people develop that extra dimension for their mayor or any other character they have, so that their not just some person who showed up one day, you know?

Last edited:
mimi is me. i'm the kid on the train.

in real life, i have two sisters and some of their friends act like my family, so the letters from mom are one sister and the ones from dad are my other sister. my parents aren't around any more, so they aren't around in my games either. they sent me to find a place where i could be myself.

the mysterious other person who was supposed to be the mayor? another me, another life. i wasn't strong enough then, but i'm really strong and cool now.

mayor mimi, the king mimi, is me when i am in a perfect place with no lack of money, no fear of not fitting in, and can say no when people ask me things if i want to. the place that my sisters sent me to when they bought me the game.

it's not a very cool back story, but i like thinking that i could be cool like my mayor.

My story is simple:
I have amnesia, I don't know who I am, I just know I was heading to Gotham and my name. All things before are the past, none of it matters because all of it is a new start.

Oh boy this should be fun.
I mean for Buttland I don't have much. To be quite honest, I assumed that I would get bored with this game within a few months as I did with Wild World, hence why my town name is really ridiculous. But its 6 months later and I am far from bored with it. At this point Buttland is just where I keep my cute villagers, make all pretty, and have it developed. My character is named after me and I made an alt character for my boyfriend in real life. The most I can say is that my character had enough in her home town because she was always dealing with drama because of bad decisions she made, and people disliking her and not letting her past go where she messed up a lot. So she left everyone behind without a word to anyone but her mom. Her dad was very estranged from her and was not close with her or her mom, so she never told her dad. When she was gone, her father finally realized how he was messing up his family, so he decided to be a good husband. He misses his daughter, and is bad at expressing emotions which is why he never sends letters. Her boyfriend, who she left behind because she feared she was causing him nothing but trouble, missed her too much and after months decided to surprise her and move to her town, which he was able to locate because of her mother. Lisa was very happy about this, and was glad her boyfriend and her could enjoy life in a new city where everyone loves her and where she has left her past behind and decided she loves being mayor and helping people.
For my new second town, Utopia, I have huge plans for it. The name, Utopia, is supposed to be ironic because it is far from a Utopia. It is ran by Alice, a little girl named Alice who died as a child. After her death, she was able to develop a town that was based on her own imagination. In this town, she is able to finally experience the childhood she never got to have when alive because her father was abusive to a point where he beat her and her mother to death. In this town, she can finally be at peace. She imagines that her best friends, her stuffed bear named Stitches and her stuffed clown Pietro (she wad a lonely child) now lived in this town where she lives. To be continued...

I don't really have a backstory for this town but in my town before the last, the story was that my mayor was considered royalty because she'd fought to protect to village in it's humble beginnings. Although that failed, she was still seen as a monarch to the villagers and continued to help the village to prosper. Feeling like she owed them, she did whatever she could to make up for it. She'd plant endless trees and flowers. Eventually her work was done, and she could finally rest.

Last edited:
I tell my parents I'm moving out as a joke, but I'm visiting an old friend instead. This'll be the first time I've seen this friend in a long time. I hop on a train ready to go using directions given by this friend, while I see this cat, who comes over and introduces himself as Rover. He asks if I'm moving which is bizarre. Probably got the wrong train by mistake.

I play along with it. He gives me some maps which seem cool—the idea of living alone and independence at this point sounds ideal. I'm an adult now, it would feel nice to get away from my parents. I decide to listen to Rover and get off at the stop to explore the place—who doesn't love a good adventure?

I'm suddenly greeted and assumed "Mayor".
This trip was supposed to be a little visit before getting back onto the train and returning so I can see my friend. I guess I'm living here permanently now since, no matter how hard I try, Isabelle doesn't believe me when I say "I'm not the mayor!".

I get a letter from someone who says "I was supposed to be mayor but it's your job now". Suddenly things seem to make sense, was this "old friend" doing me a favour by helping me move or dumping a huge role onto me so he wouldn't have to do it?

Just made this up on the spot and even though it may not be as good I still had fun writing it. This thread is really interesting :D

You know what? I'll bite, it's a necropost, but this is semi-on the fly, but when I saw this thread, it really did get me thinking.

Pun was originally a villager, just one of many, who lived in Nencity, run by Tortimer. He really got to know the community, befriending several villagers, namely a black-and-white cat by the name of Punchy, as well as the girl who lived above him on the cliffside, Lolly. Over time, he would spend more and more time with the neighbor above the cliff, people musing at the idea of something going on. Soon enough, people would openly voice their disdain for Lolly, trying to say things about her, right in front of Pun. This did end up bothering him, having to tell them off. Interestingly enough, Punchy would come up to bat, too, and defend the girl, alongside the blue-haired human. However, economic hardships hit him hard, and he was forced to move back with his parents. While heartbreaking for everybody, including Lolly and Punchy, it was a choice he had to make.

Fast forward a good few years, he arrives to a town that was eerily similarly named to the old place he lived in. Nentown. The villagers here, seemed to have stood around him, the instant he got off the train. He figured they were more friendly than the previous town, but then they spoke up, saying that HE was the mayor. Confused and baffled, Isabelle ran up to him to help him get comfortable, getting his new home set up, and got him set off on the right foot. He thought that was mighty nice of her, and found her to be a great friend, even if she was his secretary. He discovered new things about this place. A rapidly expanding store, a club, and even a dream suite. He even ran into the Able Sisters, along with Blathers and Tom Nook, from his old town. Talk about a coincidence. When he first met Shrunk, he figured he looked oddly familiar, remembering his face from The Marquee, back in Nencity. Trying to shake thoughts of his old town out of his head, he decided to learn what all the hubbub was about, concerning the dream suite. Everything seemed... hypnotic, to him, there. Almost like any and all stresses melted away, and the urge to sleep fell heavy upon him. Deciding to give the service a whirl, the first dream he had consisted of him standing face to face with that girl from the old town. Her house was incredibly different. She looked taller, and had different styles, regarding er furniture. He quickly woke up from that dream, realizing that it wasn't real. The thought of Lolly had returned, and remained in his mind for the longest time. Every night, he'd wonder how she was doing, how Nencity was doing, without him. However, in the middle of winter, he finds a house being built, right next door to his own. "Meh... must be someone new... Pobably not from my old town..." He mumbled, as he headed off to get himself some coffee. Cut to a few days later, he hears a knock on the door. A soft knock. There was a familiar voice. "Excuse me, but I would like to meet the mayor! I heard that you're a great leader, bonbon!" As he heard that sentence, that final word suddenly shot through him, in the form of a myriad of emotions. The voice! That verbal tick! He hurried and opened the door, and there she was. Lolly had returned. She stood there with a happy expression on her face, but it looked like she didn't actually see him after the door had opened. "Hello! Nice to met you! I hope you don't mind Tom putting my house next... to... yours...?" Her voice trailed off, when she saw him. "Pun!? You're the mayor!? Oh, my goodness, that is immeasurably coincidental!" They both hugged, being the closest of friends in their previous town, the thoughts of one another certainly haven't faltered, since then. And with his best pal to laze around with, Punchy, also in town, he couldn't be any hapier, leaving him to his devoted, social lifestyle, as mayor of a town he loves.

Whew. Sort of on the spot, and I'm tired, so it mustered the courage to spill my mind all over the keyboard.

I do have a whole story! Including my villagers (obtained or not) XD

Pansear decided to settle from her delinquent ways and live the life of being a resident of a boring town called Pinwheel, home for many windmills and wind turbines(not there yet in my actual town though.). When she first stepped in from the train station, Isabelle came and greeted her as the new mayor. Acknowledging that this may be a mistake, Pansear decided to shrug it off. Bored of the same Pinwheel, she changed the town up in her own leads using her time travelling powers. But in exchange for this amazing power, she would have to turn into a monkey at night. Later on being in Pinwheel, she realizes that the residents are serial killers, summoners, and odd ones. Animals would move here that Pansear has no desire for. So she would bring her shovel at night and hit her targets, burying their body somewhere, and demolish their houses.

Just like Pansear, Pansage moved in as residence of Pinwheel. Turns out, HE was originally going to be mayor, but Pansear was one step away from him. Complaining and rivaling Pansear often, she would make a fool of him until they decided to stop making fights. He has a huge crush on Nana and would publicly tell her that, but Nana doesn't seem to realize it. He turns into a monkey at night as well.

Nana moved into Pinwheel from a deserted place called Ikana, and she was easily loved by everyone living there, especially Pansage. But despite her adorable looks, she isn't as acknowledged as a mature monkey. Although old enough to buy her own house, she still is rather playfully childish and oblivious about the villagers admiring her. Shrugging this off, she easily became friends with everyone, except Diana.

Shari moved into Pinwheel to hide her evidences, since she is secretly part of the mafia, killing animals who will not commit to her expectations. One time, Nana saw her with a bloody axe and dress, but she didn't mind and just greeted her. Shari dislikes Chief on out, but secretly admires him.

Monty arrived from Pinwheel when Pansage invited him to move into his town. As a best friend of Pansage, he would help him get Nana. When times fail, they would be in the Cafe, discussing about other things. Pansage is Monty's only friend because Monty doesn't talk much with the other villagers. He does make some shenanigans with Chief, and Deli would constantly bother him, borrowing his stuff and never returning them.

Tammi is the most active fun-loving villager who moved to Pinwheel from a town she accidentally bombed. In fact- she owns lots of kinds of bombs. Bath bombs, stink bombs, paint bombs...actual bombs... But with her excessive amount of bombs, she also has a passion for art. She would discuss with Pansear on landscaping and help her with decorations. Whenever a birthday comes up, Tammi would whip up a portrait of them. Tammi is also part of Shari's Mafia.

Deli moved to Pinwheel just because he felt potential of living there. He secretly worships the underlord, Girantina, but he would never sacrifice other villagers. Instead, he would sacrifice villagers Pansear doesn't want. At the same time, secretly admiring her. Outside of his sacrificial momentum, Deli would act lazy towards the other villagers and be his usual self.

Lolly is the weird one of Pinwheel, ever since she moved outta LazyTown(not a real town). She would sell candy made of her "secret ingredients" to Re-tail and other villagers. Her favorite food is pickles and she never frowns and is always happily greeting other villagers. You might have to pray when you get her mad.

Diana moved to Pinwheel for a more simple life. As a former star diva, she settled on Pinwheel, only to find her former kindergarten classmate Nana living there. The two don't like to see each other, but they surely don't want to leave for how perfect Pinwheel is!

Chief moved to Pinwheel to join Shari's mafia. Not only that he's in a Mafia, but he used to be a captain of pirates. Well...he used to, until Kapp'n kicked his daydreams out. He was never really a pirate, but rather a retired worker of Kapp'n. He made lots of fusses against other villagers unlike Monty and is very impatient. He dislikes Shari back but secretly admires her.

Simon is also a former worker of Kapp'n, only to follow Chief's footsteps and quit the job himself. He wishes to be as great as his buddy Chief, so he always tags along with him as a sidekick or some sort. He would steal fruits from Pansear's orchards and put the blames to Deli. He isn't an official member of the Mafia yet.

Scoot just moved from Vineland. He's just a regular villager. Nothing special. Other villagers love to make a trend about shouting his name whenever they see him and want to talk to him.

My mom told me that i should aboard the train cause there was a happy man selling candies. When i aboard i just hear my Mom and Dad laughing while just said:
—Run, run!
—Ah! That's not fair! —i said while i was punching the windows.
Anyway, i don't know how but i end up in a Town when Animals can talk and i rule every of them. Now is not that bad that mom and dad want to get rid of me...

Secretly all the villagers, including the humans of my town are in a space zoo. They don't know this and go about their lives like any normal person would. Unbeknownst to them, foreign aliens come and go, to gawk at these strange and exotic lifeforms.

(Actually, I never really gave it much thought)

Back