• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Guns

I live in a country where guns are illegal and where, unlike the US, we don't have to shoot each other to feel secure.

Well how secure would you feel if someone marched into your house with a gun and threatened to steal everything?

Same thing I said in the non-Americans visiting America thread; I hate guns and pretty much everyone outside of the US hates them too.

- - - Post Merge - - -

maybe, just maybe, we shouldn't kill them at all

- - - Post Merge - - -

1- THAT **** DOESN'T EXIST. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS CRUELTY-FREE ANIMAL FARMING
2- WE ARE NOT CARNIVORES LIKE DOGS. OUR 'CANINES' DON'T MEAN THAT WE'RE VICIOUS HUNTERS; THEY WERE ORIGINALLY THERE TO BREAK OPEN NUTS AND SEEDS
3- IT'S NOT A PART OF NATURE.
4- IT IS NOT THE FOOD CHAIN.
5- WE ARE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE FOOD CHAIN

christ, i think i caught something

- - - Post Merge - - -

Oh, right. Guns.

If we take away all of the guns, there isn't a demand for more guns for self-defense and therefore, guns aren't needed.
Um I'm pretty sure plants and insects are at the bottom of the food chain, and we're at the top because we have guns and superior intelligence. Never said humans were carnivores, and killing animals isn't wrong. Humans eat animals just like grizzly bear hunts fish lmao how is that not a part of nature

No guns, no worries about guns.

You can't expect the magical security to just come on in and take every single guns in the world and take them and, poof, they're gone from existence. Gangs, killers, and bugerlers will be able to find a way to hide their precious toys. If you get rid if guns then more innocent people will get killed, stolen from, or hurt.

You can't expect the magical security to just come on in and take every single guns in the world and take them and, poof, they're gone from existence. Gangs, killers, and bugerlers will be able to find a way to hide their precious toys. If you get rid if guns then more innocent people will get killed, stolen from, or hurt.

You're right. But a good start is controlling who can and cannot possess guns.

You're right. But a good start is controlling who can and cannot possess guns.

That I agree with. I'm interested in, again, making folks who have their guns liable for them and/or it shouldn't be as easy as it is to purchase one or the ammo that goes with it. But in the meanwhile I think law abiding citizens should have access to guns for their own protection.

No guns, no worries about guns.

Whenever I hear of a shooting, it's never in the UK. Suicide bombers are a larger threat.

Well how secure would you feel if someone marched into your house with a gun and threatened to steal everything?

What if they threaten you with your own gun? What are the chances that you have your gun in your hand and ready to shoot the moment they attack you? You may be sleeping when that happens, or in the shower, or in the garden doing something. I think it just provide a false sense of security.

If your gun in not kept in a safe locked place, anybody can take it, your kids, your guests, your significant other. Accidents may happen. If your gun is kept in a safe locked place, you may not have the time to fetch it before a potential attack.

And how many paranoid people shot people for no reasons? Falsely thinking they were thieves?

Anyway, I'm not planning to live in U.S. you do as you want, just don't forget to put bulletproof walls all around your country:p

What if they threaten you with your own gun? What are the chances that you have your gun in your hand and ready to shoot the moment they attack you? You may be sleeping when that happens, or in the shower, or in the garden doing something. I think it just provide a false sense of security.

If your gun in not kept in a safe locked place, anybody can take it, your kids, your guests, your significant other. Accidents may happen. If your gun is kept in a safe locked place, you may not have the time to fetch it before a potential attack.

And how many paranoid people shot people for no reasons? Falsely thinking they were thieves?

Anyway, I'm not planning to live in U.S. you do as you want, just don't forget to put bulletproof walls all around your country:p

Don't even get me started with the "what if's." Rich people probably would not need guns because they can afford there high tech security systems. But if you can't afford any of that stuff then a gun is your main source of protection. Getting RID of guns will only make the situation worse. If guns do get banned one day, the magical security guys will take all the guns from the people who are actually trying to protect themselves while the thieves will find some secret place to hide it. And then, more innocent people will die.

I'm fine with guns, but I'm not fine with how some people choose to use them.

It's been very civil so far I'm happy to say. And also thanks to everyone who's been sharing their opinions and being understanding of others!

Yeah. I'm just thinking I know how immature some people have been in the last couple of months on threads like this. Let's just hope it doesn't get too bad.

I'm not against guns. What I'm against is how easy it is to obtain them.

I believe that guns should only be given to people who have a legitimate reason to, and they should have to write down what they intend to use it for and where they will store it, etc. I also believe that any sort of criminal record should abolish your chances of getting a gun.

EDIT: Also "to hunt" is not a valid reason and should probably abolish all chances of you ever getting a gun ever.

Last edited:
I'm not against guns. What I'm against is how easy it is to obtain them.

I believe that guns should only be given to people who have a legitimate reason to, and they should have to write down what they intend to use it for and where they will store it, etc. I also believe that any sort of criminal record should abolish your chances of getting a gun.

IMO writing down where it will be kept will only let that info fall into the wrong hands but I otherwise agree with you.

nah. im not into guns. too much responsibility and seriousness goes with a gun. its built to kill stuff. shooting for sport are things like paintball and airsoft where those things aren't built for the purpose to kill, built for splatting paint on yer butt. and alot of people have the arrogance to think they can handle a legit, serious gun. playing around with life and death because they associate the same gun that shoots bullets, to sport as a game. maybe others see it for pride, comfort, sport, whatever. thats them.

If they are legal owned and used for defense and not with the intent to harm someone I don't have a problem with guns. That being said, I have no desire to own a gun, but I'm not going to stop someone else from having one.

I don't really agree with going out and killing animals just for the fun of it though. If you're eating it, that's different but I don't see the point of killing something just to kill it. If you want to shoot something go to a shooting range imo.

I don't mind guns for hunting or sporting purposes but for safety it's absolutely stupid and hypocritical. I live in New Zealand and the amount of armed robberies is quite low due to our gun laws (And our lower population ofc.). If you think the best way to stop armed people is by giving the general population guns then you truly can't comprehend the big picture. If you want to stop someone robbing your house then getting a firearm to potentially harm/kill/threaten the intruder puts you in no better position then someone else wielding a weapon.

The problem with overseas countries and firearms is that even changing the rules won't help because there's so many guns already in circulation and any attempts to thin this out will inevitably end in bloodshed because of this fear that they've all been raised with.

Living where I do I truly pity anyone who lives in a country with lots of firearms, as I see you never getting out of that cycle :(

- - - Post Merge - - -

Don't even get me started with the "what if's." Rich people probably would not need guns because they can afford there high tech security systems. But if you can't afford any of that stuff then a gun is your main source of protection. Getting RID of guns will only make the situation worse. If guns do get banned one day, the magical security guys will take all the guns from the people who are actually trying to protect themselves while the thieves will find some secret place to hide it. And then, more innocent people will die.

You do not need a gun to protect yourself. Those magical security people are the police and SWAT (or in NZ we call them the armed offenders squad) and if your countries didn't have firearms in the first place then there wouldn't be as much armed crime.

Taking away guns does not prevent crime and never will but having a gun doesn't do anything except make people on edge and paranoid. Sadly it sounds like your in a place where your stuck in a cycle and I feel horribly sorry for you, if only you could experience a life without fearing crime :(

Where I live a crime may be committed but in the end the police sort it out and the criminals don't (generally) have guns because they're much harder to get here.

Last edited:
Also I'm sorry if I've offended anyone by what I said. I have a strong opinion when it comes to firearms as I'm sick and tired of seeing US shootings on the news :(

(Not just in the US too)

Last edited:
Back