• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Guns

Do you not know that the average time for an ambulance to arrive is 7-10 minutes? That is enough time for someone to kill me before help arrives. Am I supposed to let someone take my gift of life, when the situation could be prevented just by the privilege of OWNING a gun? I don't even have to use it. It is just nice to have.

If "little jimmy" wants to just "shoot something so bad" maybe his parents should get his brain scanned and keep the guns away because he obviously isn't mature enough yet...

And I guess my dad is a bad parent for letting me shoot off a gun to a target then? I wasn't harming anybody, I didn't hurt anybody or effect their life in any way. Because I was in my back yard lmao. If a child thinks that way then it is the parents fault for raising the child to have a thought process that heinous. Nobody is like that for no reason. Guns cant be to blame when the people who are aware of their actions are behind the gun pulling the trigger.

society is making everyone overly sensitive as time passes by. you can kill somebody with things you can buy at Walmart. the guns cause violence claim is irrelevant its people who are violent...

if someone was to kill me id rather be shot than stabbed, poisoned by somebody, or beaten with a bat or shovel, or strangled to death...

just because someone doesn't agree with this, doesn't mean it should be illegal, or that its wrong, or people just want to shoot... that's a stereotype. and it needs to stop.

I know people who fell victim to violence and a gun could have saved their life... I REFUSE to become a victim.

but you wouldn't become a victim if people didn't have guns, that's what we're saying. more guns will not save your life when guns are the real problem.

- - - Post Merge - - -

more guns will not end gun violence.

Someone I am very close to lost a loved one due to violence. And guess what, a gun is NOT what killed her. She was stabbed to death. With a knife any person can go to the store and buy! What don't you get, banning guns wont stop violence! It will always exist. Guns wont help stop it either! I never said that! It is something people should have incase someone tries to hurt them. Don't even say that wouldn't happen if guns didn't exist. Someone local who is almost my age is in jail for attempted murder, he stomped the poor boys head in the concrete and left him there to die! He didn't have a gun on him! Just him, his buddies, and their two feet. All over forty flippin dollars... they did that to the poor kid for FORTY DOLLARS... while they flash their Gucci belts they're trying to steal a 15 year olds allowance for what though? weed? pills? vodka? you must not know how crazy people can get?

My brother is a black belt. My dad is an EIGHTH DEGREE BLACK BELT. Do you know that one full forced round house or superman punch can kill someone instantly with blunt force trauma? Does that mean it should be illegal too? come on now...

You don't seem to get what I'm saying... You don't need to be threatened with a gun to fall victim to somebody....

Someone I am very close to lost a loved one due to violence. And guess what, a gun is NOT what killed her. She was stabbed to death. With a knife any person can go to the store and buy! What don't you get, banning guns wont stop violence! It will always exist. Guns wont help stop it either! I never said that! It is something people should have incase someone tries to hurt them. Don't even say that wouldn't happen if guns didn't exist. Someone local who is almost my age is in jail for attempted murder, he stomped the poor boys head in the concrete and left him there to die! He didn't have a gun on him! Just him, his buddies, and their two feet. All over forty flippin dollars... they did that to the poor kid for FORTY DOLLARS... while they flash their Gucci belts they're trying to steal a 15 year olds allowance for what though? weed? pills? vodka? you must not know how crazy people can get?

My brother is a black belt. My dad is an EIGHTH DEGREE BLACK BELT. Do you know that one full forced round house or superman punch can kill someone instantly with blunt force trauma? Does that mean it should be illegal too? come on now...

You don't seem to get what I'm saying... You don't need to be threatened with a gun to fall victim to somebody....

I felt like the sentences I highlighted were rude, calm down a bit. This is how flame wars start, lol.

To that first paragraph:

What about the people who are killed by guns in the US? There are tens of thousands who die per year because of these things, yes people will still die because of guns but it the amount of deaths would drop drastically because like many people have said "there are good people and there are bad people", people may die because of guns unintentionally whereas you can't abuse or stab some directly and say "oh, woopsies sorry I didn't see you even when you were right there", this is because a gun is a long range weapon but your fists and feet are close range as are knives, mistakes happen and there is no mistake with close ranged weapons.

Violence will never end, never, that is true but the amount of deaths by gun will decrease.

To the second paragraph:

Yeah your brother and father should be thrown into prison if they start abusing people randomly, people should be thrown into prison if they harm another person intentionally, it has always been that way. However your brother and father and many people just like them are good people who follow the law and will only use there fists, feet and so on if needed, correct? I am aware that what you described can happen, in fact it happened recently to a family friend however it isn't as likely and will not happen unless that person did it intentionally. Guns can kill people intentionally or not, you can't get into a fight without the intent to harm, my family friend got into a fight with another family friend, family friend 2 aimed at him, hit him and killed him with one punch, that was an accident of course, but the fight wasn't and he has been thrown into prison anyway.

To the last paragraph:

No, you should, you can never trust people and people are the ones who pull the trigger however guns are the equipment specifically designed to murder or injure people beyond repair. Guns just add to peoples fears, yes knives are scary, peoples fists are scary and the scariest of them all are guns because guns kill more people annually, a lot more. People are afraid and opposed to them because they are so easily accessible and can fall into the wrong hands easily, nobody can be trusted and that alone is something to fear because some random person on the street could kill you, that person may take your life by beating, stabbing and the most likely...shooting you with a gun, you may survive the first two although it is unlikely but a gun will definitely kill you, there is a tiny chance you can survive a shot to the head or chest.

another thing lol. guns are often used for suicides and While there obviously are other ways to kill urself suicide is very opportunity basedand if someone doesnt have a gun under the pillow it wont be as easy and they might get help and b like Wow I Sure Am Glad Im Not Dead.
like, it can b very impulsive and if you cant (or it is kinda difficult to) act on the impulse the urge often fades away after a while lol and they might get help and whatever so yay less guns hopefully less suicide

no one's saying that guns are the only thing that can hurt others are you even reading what people have been writing lmao. but guns wont stop violence, they only make it worse. by removing guns gun violence will decrease.
just because people will always have other ways to kill each other doesnt mean that we shouldnt try to stop it. if we can stop people getting murdered w guns that's great but you make it sound like it's all or nothing and that unless people never do bad stuff everything we do to stop violence is meaningless

guns have no other uses than to hurt and kill. knives have other uses and it is illegal to have or use knives as weapons, in my country therems a knife law that says you aren't allowed to carry a knife around with you in public So if someone's visibly having a knife on them the police can stop them n be like Yo Dont. (obviously you can brimg your newly bought knife home but the law makes it illegal to carry around knives for no reason or w/e idrk exactly what it says but it doesnt rly affect people who have good reasons to have a knife on them)
guns make killing a lot easier, sure people can stab someone or strangle them or beat them to death but a gun is much easier to use and cause serious injuries with, especially bc of the range n stuff.

I totally agree with Helen. I'm pretty tough for a lady but I'm still no match against most men. Even with pepperspray I don't doubt if a bigger man wanted to hurt or kill me he definitely could. With a gun I can shoot that man. I feel much safer carrying a gun and not being a victim.

I totally agree with Helen. I'm pretty tough for a lady but I'm still no match against most men. Even with pepperspray I don't doubt if a bigger man wanted to hurt or kill me he definitely could. With a gun I can shoot that man. I feel much safer carrying a gun and not being a victim.

i get that it can feel safe o have a gun if youre weaker than most other people but just bc youre scared doesnt mean that you should get to carry around a deadly weapon with you for protection

I can see why people are pro-gun but at least make sure you need to go through a lengthy process to get your gun licence. And make sure people are at least limited to semi-automatics instead of automatics. Then there's the mass shooting scenarios -- a lot of teen shooters get their guns from their parents. I personally believe that if you have a gun around a mentally ill child/adolescent, you should have to give it up or at least make sure you lock it up. Australia has great gun laws in comparison to American gun laws. No mass shootings (that I'm aware of) since 1996, and that's because of how strict our gun laws are. America's government needs to restrict their citizens.
"muh gun rightz" Shut up. Mentally ill people are able to get their hands on firearms, and why is that? Because of the lack of restrictions.

That being said, people will always find a way to harm someone else even without firearms.
(sorry if I went off track a bit; I'm tired).

Do you not know that the average time for an ambulance to arrive is 7-10 minutes? That is enough time for someone to kill me before help arrives. Am I supposed to let someone take my gift of life, when the situation could be prevented just by the privilege of OWNING a gun? I don't even have to use it. It is just nice to have.

If "little jimmy" wants to just "shoot something so bad" maybe his parents should get his brain scanned and keep the guns away because he obviously isn't mature enough yet...

And I guess my dad is a bad parent for letting me shoot off a gun to a target then? I wasn't harming anybody, I didn't hurt anybody or effect their life in any way. Because I was in my back yard lmao. If a child thinks that way then it is the parents fault for raising the child to have a thought process that heinous. Nobody is like that for no reason. Guns cant be to blame when the people who are aware of their actions are behind the gun pulling the trigger.

society is making everyone overly sensitive as time passes by. you can kill somebody with things you can buy at Walmart. the guns cause violence claim is irrelevant its people who are violent...

if someone was to kill me id rather be shot than stabbed, poisoned by somebody, or beaten with a bat or shovel, or strangled to death...

just because someone doesn't agree with this, doesn't mean it should be illegal, or that its wrong, or people just want to shoot... that's a stereotype. and it needs to stop.

I know people who fell victim to violence and a gun could have saved their life... I REFUSE to become a victim.

"the ambulance is taking 7 minutes but thanks to my gun i can kill the person instead :3"
if youre just going to show it off buy a toy gun and paint it lmao. when people have guns they will hurt people with them. not everyone ovviously but it will happen.

i think american gun culture is messed up and i really dont understand how anyone can think it is normal and okay to shoot in your own back yard???? so yeah i think your dad is a bad parent because i think that normalizing guns is dangerous.

sure go ahead and go to walmart and buy something only made to hurt and kill living creatures that has a long range and is very dangerous. lol. you can choke to death one some grapes but if you seriously think choking on fruit and getting shot is compareable im Done.
if someone didnt have a gun maybe you wouldnt be killed but yeah we definitely need guns so murderers can kill people the way they prefer to be killed.

just because you think murder is wrong doesnt mean that it should be illegal uwu some people shoot to cope ??? ?

i get that it can feel safe o have a gun if youre weaker than most other people but just bc youre scared doesnt mean that you should get to carry around a deadly weapon with you for protection

I disagree and luckily I live in the US where my viewpoint is on the side of the law.

I think a lot of our opinions come down to the culture we've been exposed to. To Americans it's normal to have a gun and they are raised in a culture that puts guns as a right. When you grow up outside of that culture it seems peculiar and dangerous to allow so many citizens to have guns.

After my last comment many pages ago I've given up expressing my logic to the pro gun people. Unfortunately in your countries/place you live you've been indoctrinated into a paranoid state to which you will never break free. If you look at other countries statistics you can clearly see removing guns solves the vast majority of problems. Crime is inevitable, people will always be murdered, robbed and violated as it's a way of modern human life (Unfortunately... ).

The percentage chance for a person to rightly use a firearm in selfdefence is SO MUCH SMALLER then the percentage of people who wrongly use them due to your laws. That is a fact. Period.

I think a lot of our opinions come down to the culture we've been exposed to. To Americans it's normal to have a gun and they are raised in a culture that puts guns as a right. When you grow up outside of that culture it seems peculiar and dangerous to allow so many citizens to have guns.

Normally I'm all for accepting and celebrating cultural differences, but the fact of the matter is that SOMEONE here is at a much higher risk of getting shot because of where they live... so yeah, not a fan of that tbh :p

I've been on and off trying to find some statistics. I think what we should do is compare both violent crime and gun related crimes in addition seeing what the gun laws are for all the different countries, because the most violent countries I were finding I don't know the lasers for although I've been trying to look into that too. It's just tough at work and on a phone. And on a phone it'll be a huge pain trying to link everything.

Can someone at a computer with since free time work on this project? (And it really is a project I know I'm sorry!) I'll work on it when I have time. Whoever can post this project will get my next TBT donation whenever I get 100 TBT.

I've been on and off trying to find some statistics. I think what we should do is compare both violent crime and gun related crimes in addition seeing what the gun laws are for all the different countries, because the most violent countries I were finding I don't know the lasers for although I've been trying to look into that too. It's just tough at work and on a phone. And on a phone it'll be a huge pain trying to link everything.

Can someone at a computer with since free time work on this project? (And it really is a project I know I'm sorry!) I'll work on it when I have time. Whoever can post this project will get my next TBT donation whenever I get 100 TBT.

nothing anout laws but here's what i found

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1chqUZHuY6cXYrRYkuE0uwXisGaYvr7durZHJhpLGycs/htmlview#gid=0

dunno, just looking at that, it says 60% of America's homicides are by firearms

that's, like, a lot :/

mind u albania has a higher percentage, but a far lower ownership of guns statistic. AMERICA REALLY IS NUMBER ONE (AT GUN OWNERSHIP)

- - - Post Merge - - -

i came back to this thread because, unfortunately, there was a mass shooting in florida by a sacked employee of a company, but i see no mention of this tragedy anywhere.

Last edited:

_85876097_homicides_guns_624_v3.png

Courtesy of BBC

Is this the sort of thing you mean?

_85876097_homicides_guns_624_v3.png

Courtesy of BBC

Is this the sort of thing you mean?

Yes, exactly! But I wanted more countries in the mix, too. You my friend get my 100 TBT.

Visibleghosts' link is very interesting, too. So I'll save up some TBT for a smaller donation for that find. I kinda wish that graph would let you switch it around so it's not just in alphabetical order but you could order it by percentage, or gun ownership, etc.

I just woke up and started looking for statistics so I haven't checked the news yet other than that story. It really is sad to hear and my dad lives in Florida. I'm glad he didn't work where that killer worked.

Normally I'm all for accepting and celebrating cultural differences, but the fact of the matter is that SOMEONE here is at a much higher risk of getting shot because of where they live... so yeah, not a fan of that tbh :p

Just for the record I am extremely anti guns.

Back