How to know if my map is a "good" layout?

DivaBlueGirl

Bells
Eggs
Old Eggs
Winter Mittens
So I'm going to reset my town soon (for reasons like: rubbish town name, pwps in front of buildings) and I apparently have a horrible layout :rolleyes:. What exactly makes a good layout? What am I meant to look for once I reset my town?

Good layouts are subjective. They are what you want them to be. Personally, I never thought about layout when re-creating towns until recently. I always went with the first map choice and a good town almost always followed. At the end of the day you need good landscaping skills and creativity.

I really would like to give you good advice here but I can't. Some people like windy rivers while others like rivers that go straight across. I have heard that a lot of people like when the townhall is above the plaza, the RV ground is next to the plaza, and there is a secluded spot to place their mayor's home. Some people also like when Re-Tail is close to the dock, so when selling beetles, they don't have to run across town. I also heard a rumor that the less ponds you have, the less rocks you have.

It's different for everyone. I like maps that everyone else seem to hate. If you see a map that you think you might like, give it a try. Walking around in different maps helps you figure out which ones feel right to you.

Think about where you'd like your permanent buildings. On the maps that Rover is showing you: Are they in good spots? Is there enough space for other things?

When I'm walking around I can usually tell where I'd like my paths to be after a few minutes, once I figure that out I start looking for rocks or ponds in the way. If there is one is it something that I can work with or is it a deal breaker?

This is the map in my main town:
tumblr_inline_ogra9iIrXM1qihn7h_500.png

I love this river shape more than anything. A lot of people don't like this style because of the narrow strip at the top.

For me, it works, because I can bury a pitfall up there without having to worry about anyone stepping in it (they won't spawn if they're not stepped on). I've also got a pwp and a villager living up there and I quite like the way it works.

I think what happened with mine was that there was a good spot beside retail, but when I got there there was a rock in the middle of the space... That's the map I chose, but probably cuz I gave up on finding the best one... and someone was probably waiting for me to get all of my stuff...

Back