• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Grocery store jobs

I was where you currently at now, but now I work at a grocery store and have been for a year. My store is small in size and business compared to most grocery stores. Like you I was very worried but people are generally nice. It can get a little bad sometimes, sure, but not as bad as you'd think. You will probably go into training but I believe they will be patient and helpful to you as they did with me. It's okay to be a little nervous, but always remember to do your best! I did it and I am certain you can too! :)

I was where you currently at now, but now I work at a grocery store and have been for a year. My store is small in size and business compared to most grocery stores. Like you I was very worried but people are generally nice. It can get a little bad sometimes, sure, but not as bad as you'd think. You will probably go into training but I believe they will be patient and helpful to you as they did with me. It's okay to be a little nervous, but always remember to do your best! I did it and I am certain you can too! :)

Thanks a lot! I am pretty confident I will get this job. They know I have no previous experience. It is also a union which is great, I hope I get hired.
I'm also pretty chill, if someone comes at me crazy over a half priced jackfruit it wont ruin my day, i'll just be concerned for their mental health, haha.
(its a position for a "fruit clerk"? lol)

If you keep a positive attitude then people will not be rude to you as frequently. But even if you're very nice and friendly people will still be rude to you as soon as they don't get their way or think they're being overcharged. Just don't let it get to you and try your best to brush them off because just like you'll meet plenty of rude people, you will also meet plenty of sweet people as well!

As far as any strange experiences go.... I used to come home and tell my boyfriend about all the weird things that would happen to me while I was at work and he would tell me how you could probably make a television show out of some of the story material I have in my everyday life lol. I've definitely had some crazy things happen to me

Last edited:
I think it kind of depends on who you are as a person, and where you live. I've worked in a grocery store for roughly 2 years now, and I've very rarely had any of these issues I always hear people talk about. I think that if you give out good karma you receive good karma in return. Obviously if you're there and act like you're better than your job, hating it, and would rather be home, it's going to drag on and people will probably notice that and see you as an easy target and treat you poorly in return. Sure, there are annoying people, but usually you're able to palm them off to someone else after dealing with them for a short while, and have them deal with them - which you'll find after it's done, it'll turn into a funny story to tell people rather than something to make your blood boil. I hear so many stories of people complaining about their jobs and customers, and I've just never experienced it; not sure if I'm just lucky or if people are exaggerating.

Where I work is the busiest store in the area, largest flower supplier, and is located in a relatively rich part of the area, so we do get a fair few of uptight customers, but it's really nothing intolerable. Though I feel like if I worked in a more communal, suburban area it would be different. That said, I do live in Australia, and my view of America is very stereotypical, sculptured by how the media portrays it, so I'm assuming it's not going to be nowhere near the same as it is there as it's a completely different culture. What I'm saying is, despite everything I hear about it, I've never really experienced those issues.

This is extremely true for me. There are so many rude people in my area but honestly good karma goes so far. If you walk around acting like you have better things to do it's gonna rub people the wrong way. I still get the occasional rude old woman but overall its mostly nice/neutral people.

Back