• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

To those who don't live in America...

Have you visited the United States before?

• Total voters
America is so different to my country (UK). I think I'm gonna find it really hard to settle there. My partner lives there, though, so if we ever got together I would have to move there permanently.

A weird thing is that people where I come from never really have engage in controversial discussions or mind other people's business. Everyone has their own life and does their own thing and nobody bats an eye. In America, it always seems like everyone is upset over something, and I think that's a real shame.

Southern accents also make me feel kinda sick. If I lived there and had to suffer television commericials with weird American accents and never hear an old Northern English lady's voice for the rest of my life, I think I'd go insane. There's something just really intimidating about America to me, as much as I adore it as a culture.

I've been to Seattle when I was 12, it was a pretty good experience! The people were really friendly, and I was surprised at how large the food portions were. Unfortunately, I don't remember anything else. I'd love to visit again one day!

No and I'll probably never visit. Nothing really stands out to me so it would be kinda useless to go.

What, and get blown up? I have no reason to go to France, especially with Macaronni in charge.

lol

im calling the police

- - - Post Merge - - -

the whole gun thing aside, there is really nothing, culture or history-wise, that stands out to me and makes me want to go.

I lived in the US (Texas) when I was around 2 years old. I don't remember much but I've visited New York a couple of times! I love it there :)

im calling the police

- - - Post Merge - - -

the whole gun thing aside, there is really nothing, culture or history-wise, that stands out to me and makes me want to go.

well that's just ignorant, don't you know that usa is literally the most culturally diverse place on earth, including all continents? have you never seen the differences between pizza from chicago and pizza from new york, it's like they're from completely different planets! pleas dont kil me it only a joek

hhhhh but seriously though i agree, the history and culture dont really appeal to me that much and the flight is way too long. if i really wanted to travel somewhere far away i would much rather go to some asian or african country with a lot of things that would be new and exciting to me.

I've been to the states probably like 20 times or so, but I live in Canada so it is just a 4-5 hour drive away. Tbh I don't see a whole lot of differences except maybe in the way people look and (sometimes) act. I find people in the US that i've seen tend to be tanner and possibly wider, even though there are ofc bigger people in Canada too. I think people that I have met in the states are a lot more open and easy to talk to of you are strangers. However I have seen a lot of scary/mean people that I would not normally see at home.
Another HUGE difference is the diversity. My hometown is like 93% white 4% native and 3% asian, so there isn't a lot of opportunites to experience different cultures (of course in bigger cities like vancouver this is different, but there is still an absence of hispanic/black people). I really like seeing all sorts of people around, and trying new foods/learning new cultures so I always have a really fun time when I visit USA.
Would I live there? Not currently.. Gun laws and Trump kinda scare me, as well as the building racial/religious tensions in America right now. Also, I'm not sure if this is totally true or not but I always hear that the USA is super religious, and I'm atheist so I wouldn't really want to be surrounded by hardcore christians all the time, getting told that you are going to hell gets old pretty quick.
My favorite thing about the states is the shopping for sure.. everything is cheaper there and there is so much more selection. If the exchange rate wasn't so bad right now I would probably visit a lot more!
Long story short, I love visiting but would not want to live there.

I studied and worked in the states for a couple years before moving for another job. I lived in NYC at the time so that's my only experience of America (besides spending holidays with my cousins in Maryland or in San Francisco) and I was mainly freelance and working under the table lols so it was too hard to support myself rip. I really miss living there though because honestly, at least for the illustration community and just arts in general, it was really healthy motivation and competition for me. There's nothing like that where I live now. However, I wouldn't want to live there anytime soon. America is just too far from home lol.

I've never been to America but I'd like to move to when I'm older; if life goes they way I'd like it to go then maybe it could be a possibility.

I'm from Canada, but I spent a significant portion of my childhood growing up in North Carolina. I moved back to Canada with my family when I was 12 years old.

Other than NC, I've also spent significant time in Florida, New York, California, and Illinois, but truthfully I've been all over the place. Also, my Mom moved to Chicago a few years ago, so since then I've been going there around 2 - 3 times a year.

I'm from Canada, and I've never been to the US. Mostly because of money reasons, I'd really love to go when I have more money because of all the really fantastic theme parks.

I have only been there once and that was when I went to Florida long time ago.

- - - Post Merge - - -

If you haven't been to the greatest country in the world then ur missing out

I live across the river from New York City, so I see a lot of tourists all the time. They're pretty nice and it's cute to see how excited they are to visit the country

Don?t really understand how it?s the ?greatest country in the world? I mean everyone would probably think that about their own country, but it just sounds wrong to say it, especially when so many different cultures and people who are living in different countries are on this forum.

Yes I've been to the U.S. several times and been to six different states.

I have only been there once and that was when I went to Florida long time ago.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Don’t really understand how it’s the “greatest country in the world” I mean everyone would probably think that about their own country, but it just sounds wrong to say it, especially when so many different cultures and people who are living in different countries are on this forum.

It is a pretty contravercial thing to say but U.S. laws and freedoms are pretty good, and it’s something a lot of people take for granted.

Wow, I thought this thread was supposed to be about whether you’ve visited the US before, not whether you think guns should be legal or not or whatever. People acting like you’re going to get shot as soon as you walk out into the open, which simply isn’t true LMAO. Not going to talk about this any further. Just not worth my time.

Anyway, yeah, I’ve lived in the US my whole life. I’ve been to Canada and Mexico as well on vacation, but that’s it. I enjoy a lot of things we have here, but I would like to visit other continents/places too in the future. Specifically, I would want to visit Italy in Europe, Japan, Australia, and New Zealand among other places. The US sure does have a lot of great attractions geographically, but there’s other geographic wonders in other parts of the world too that I would like to see. I also don’t really care if I end up living here my whole life or move to another country. I’ll go wherever the wind takes me. Just because I was born here doesn’t mean I have to love everything about it. After all, home is where the heart is, right? Peace. ^^

Wow, I thought this thread was supposed to be about whether you’ve visited the US before, not whether you think guns should be legal or not or whatever. People acting like you’re going to get shot as soon as you walk out into the open, which simply isn’t true LMAO. Not going to talk about this any further. Just not worth my time.

Anyway, yeah, I’ve lived in the US my whole life. I’ve been to Canada and Mexico as well on vacation, but that’s it. I enjoy a lot of things we have here, but I would like to visit other continents/places too in the future. Specifically, I would want to visit Italy in Europe, Japan, Australia, and New Zealand among other places. The US sure does have a lot of great attractions geographically, but there’s other geographic wonders in other parts of the world too that I would like to see. I also don’t really care if I end up living here my whole life or move to another country. I’ll go wherever the wind takes me. Just because I was born here doesn’t mean I have to love everything about it. After all, home is where the heart is, right? Peace. ^^

^ accurate. I’m in an argumentative mood, I’m sorry hahaha

Yeah I've been there quite a bit. I probably wouldn't go again though, it always just feels like dirtier, fatter, less friendly Canada.

lol I almost posted a virtually identical statement before I realized the thread was bumped. I have to say I have the same feelings I did 2 years ago, especially since my only friend in the US has since moved back to Canada.

lol I almost posted a virtually identical statement before I realized the thread was bumped. I have to say I have the same feelings I did 2 years ago, especially since my only friend in the US has since moved back to Canada.

That’s pretty offensive. That being said, I live in the U.S. and when I visit Canada, it feels like a cleaner, skinnier, friendlier and Frencher U.S.

Back