• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

To those who don't live in America...

Have you visited the United States before?

• Total voters
What's with people saying they don't wanna go because guns are legal LMAO
I highly doubt anyone is gonna shoot you, wtf haha

I did see a gun for the first time when I went to New York, but it was more just "wow" than "imma get shot help"

No and I don't plan to.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Scratch that, I don't want to go if I can help it.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I did see a gun for the first time when I went to New York, but it was more just "wow" than "imma get shot help"

It's a bit of a shock to the system if you've grown up somewhere where there's gun control/where guns are illegal and suddenly enter a country where there isn't.

Obviously I can't speak for everyone, though. At least that's how I feel.

Last edited:
No and I don't plan to.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Scratch that, I don't want to go if I can help it.

- - - Post Merge - - -

It's a bit of a shock to the system if you've grown up somewhere where there's gun control/where guns are illegal and suddenly enter a country where there isn't.

Obviously I can't speak for everyone, though. At least that's how I feel.

im actually really curious to know more in detail about how non-americans view us. and what they think about us. how and why does trump & guns paint such a strong repulsive image on us from the perspective of forigners? (well... trump dosent even need an explanation, but id like to hear a more in depth about guns and other things that could give us such a bad rep)

Last edited:
In quite a few states it's illegal to own a stun gun. Secondly, convincing criminals to get stun guns instead of guns will be a very difficult task indeed, not to mention trying to convince law abiding citizens that they should stun someone who threatened to take their life over returning the favor instead.
That dumb law should be changed then, and if both a person and a criminal are holding a gun, does the person have a higher success of escaping with a gun than with a stun gun? I don't own any guns so I don't get it.

Last edited:
im actually really curious to know more in detail about how non-americans view us. and what they think about us. how and why does trump & guns paint such a strong repulsive image on us from the perspective of forigners? (well... trump dosent even need an explanation, but id like to hear a more in depth about guns and other things that could give us such a bad rep)

idk i kinda feel like the whole culture and mindset with "usa is the best country ever, we are the most free, our country is more diverse than any other, and we have wildly different cultures between states (even more difference than european countries lol youre all the same). also i'm italian because one of my grand grand grand grandparents was from italy. i sleep with thirty guns tucked in beside me so i can shoot any burglars because that's my right. god bless america" is Really Uhghhh and gross. i know not everyone has that attitude but it is definitely the image i get from media and talking to americans.
the cpndenscending attitude, "american dream" stuff n ignorance really make my view of the usa kinda negative lmao.

w the guns thing i mostly feel super weirded out that anyone would think it is their right to own and carry firearms "for protection" lmao. i dont understand why it would ever be your right to shoot someone else and by carrying guns in public youre making other people unsafe and anxious.
i really dont get why many americans keep going on about how great their country is and how much better it is than any other country when there are so many problems with it. it's a really stupid and frustrating attitude

Ive never been to America but I would definitely want to visit some places! It seems like a fascinating country.

It's not a secret that the "righ to bear arms" amendment is flawed. Anyone can get their hands on a gun and a gun isn't a toy. A gun has the potential to kill someone with one bullet. An object with the potential to kill multiple people in seconds shouldn't just be given out to everyone and their grandmas because guns can kill people. There are freuent stories of trigger-fingered Americans shooting people who aren't straight, white citizens. Only recently was there a story of a man who told an Indian racing driver (a man who was visiting the country) to "get out of our country" before shooting him dead.

Intense patriotism makes my eye twitch as well. Most Americans I've talked to come across as really rude, loud and snobby (the people I met were soooooooooo loud, like if they had volume buttons the settings would be OFF, LOUD AND VERY LOUD. Like, what happened to indoor voice?) Obviously I don't meet Americans everyday (these were the first Americans I had ever met) and I'm not saying that all Americans are like that either. Sometimes it seems like Americans are living with shutters over their eyes, living in a numbened state of euphoria, thinking that their country is the best on the planet when in reality, it isn't.

The 'American dream' is a complete myth.

It's not a secret that the "righ to bear arms" amendment is flawed. Anyone can get their hands on a gun and a gun isn't a toy. A gun has the potential to kill someone with one bullet. An object with the potential to kill multiple people in seconds shouldn't just be given out to everyone and their grandmas because guns can kill people. There are freuent stories of trigger-fingered Americans shooting people who aren't straight, white citizens. Only recently was there a story of a man who told an Indian racing driver (a man who was visiting the country) to "get out of our country" before shooting him dead.

Intense patriotism makes my eye twitch as well. Most Americans I've talked to come across as really rude, loud and snobby (the people I met were soooooooooo loud, like if they had volume buttons the settings would be OFF, LOUD AND VERY LOUD. Like, what happened to indoor voice?) Obviously I don't meet Americans everyday (these were the first Americans I had ever met) and I'm not saying that all Americans are like that either. Sometimes it seems like Americans are living with shutters over their eyes, living in a numbened state of euphoria, thinking that their country is the best on the planet when in reality, it isn't.

The 'American dream' is a complete myth.
Totally agreed. I also dislike that the country is also in a lot of wars, killing millions of innocents.

Totally agreed. I also dislike that the country is also in a lot of wars, killing millions of innocents.

Vietnam, Iraq, World War 2 (arguably, the US did not have much part in the war, but they are the first and only country to drop an atom bomb on another country) are prime examples of this.

If Trump can't stop a nuclear war, whether another country starts it or he does, we're all dead.

Last edited:
Vietnam, Iraq, World War 2 (arguably, the US did not have much part in the war, but they are the first and only country to drop an atom bomb on another country) are prime examples of this.

If Trump can't stop a nuclear war, whether another country starts it or he does, we're all dead.
If the cowards who start wars were the ones who actually fought them, we'd all live in peace, lol. I'd love seeing Trump and Kim both in a cage fighting each other with their bare hands.

Never
Anyway I really want to visit Los Angeles, forests and nature in general
My grandpa traveled across the US when he was young and sometimes he tells me about it

Last edited:

I'm not worried about people shooting me, it's just the fact that guns are legal in the US and have caused so much distress in that country for many years now.

Trump will possibly be the biggest mistake the US made next to George W Bush.

I know you don't have an interest in talking about him but let me explain why I hate him and why I'm disappointed in the citizens of the US for supporting him.

He is an immature man who will fall out with other world leaders because of the unneeded criticism he spews every-god-damn-day, he attacked Germany's trade practices and Angela Merkel responded saying that Germany can no longer rely on other countries completely, this was of course aimed at the US and possibly even the UK. So that's one mess up.
He called the Australian Refugee Agreement "dumb" and claimed that Australia is trying to export the next 'Boston Bombers', another idiotic move courtesy of Trump. Australia is one of the biggest allies of the US however this may change because of that dumb orange buffoon...
We all know the crap that he's been saying about Mexico and China, so let's not talk about them because I don't want to waste hours of my life explaining how much of a fool he is very disturbing the peace there.

This is all thanks to the Trump supporters, who have supported this man for the Presidency. Many of them have been saying "This is not what I voted for", yes it is, you should have actually realized what Trump planned on doing and how much of an idiot and inexperienced twit he is, because it could have prevented all of this.

Not to mention the fact that you let a racist and sexually abusive man into the White house. He also mocked a disabled news reporter, he claimed he didn't and idiots defended him even when it was CAUGHT ON TV. Oh and he believes women are nothing more than objects...So good job.

Now onto the US itself. I'm going to do this in bullet points.

• Gun laws, I believe guns shouldn't be legal anywhere and the fact that you could go to Walmart and purchase a gun scares me. They are easily accessible in the US and several shootings are the result of this, e.g Orlando 2016 amd Columbine 1999. People could just shoot people for fun or if they lose their temper and believe me I have seen several cases in the US of people with no criminal records kill people because of break ups, family relationship strains, etcetera. They just grabbed a gun and bang!

• Too many people, most areas that are remotely interesting are heavily populated which isn't good for my claustrophobia.

• Loud people, I think this is because of the cities and such. I've had a few American acquaintances who are much louder than the people in my native country and people I've known who had moved to the US and came back were noticeably louder. I'm sensitive to noise, so it's a big deal.

I don't hate the people of the US, I'm just disappointed in them but given the choice's I would struggle too, I have a problem with the power and involvement of the US, I believe they should keep their nose out when it is unnecessary for them to make it "their business".

I wish the US didn't exist to be frank, so much problems would be resolved and so many problems would occur so maybe not...

Last edited:
No I haven't. I guess I wish I could visit at least once, but only for a short time.

If the cowards who start wars were the ones who actually fought them, we'd all live in peace, lol. I'd love seeing Trump and Kim both in a cage fighting each other with their bare hands.

The World.

Anyways, I'm very disappointed in you guys for making it all about guns and Trump. I know you were trying to stay on-topic, but that's not on-topic.

Last edited:
The World.

Anyways, I'm very disappointed in you guys for making it all about guns and Trump. I know you were trying to stay on-topic, but that's not on-topic.

it was kinda about why ppl didnt want to go to the us tho

The World.

It was part of the reason why I don't ever want to go to the US, so it was on topic + what did you expect? People are not going to go to a country they have no respect for and if you're making a thread about the US you should be prepared for people pointing out the country's faults, e.g Trump & Gun laws.

This is TBT, innocent threads are not allowed in Brewster's cafe, lol. :D

Last edited:
I'm from Canada. I went to Disney World a couple of times with my family when I was little, before 9/11 and we didn't need passports. Those were the days, man. Since then, I've been to Buffalo a couple of times to do some shopping. But probably won't be heading back just for the heck of it until the orange leader is gone.

I don't think I need to comment on Trump, but almost every other "developed" country (for lack of a better world) has significantly higher gun control than the US. Similarly, they have a significantly lower homicide rate. And yes, obviously your chance of randomly getting shot is still fairly low in the US, but when you grow up and live in a country where you can safely assume no one around you has a gun on them, and then you go to a country where you can't know if someone is packing heat (especially in an area like Texas where there is probably someone near you with a gun), that's kind of a scary thought. Guns feel wholly unnecessary for individuals to carry just for self defence when you know that other people don't have guns. That's how gun control works. They don't have a gun, you don't need a gun. Way fewer people get shot. General feeling of safety maintained. That's not to say that non-Americans hate Americans because they can carry guns? It's not really a personal reputation thing but rather a "I would actually be constantly slightly paranoid about guns if I went there."

Yeah, if you're going to make a thread about why people do/don't want to visit the US, of course gun laws and Mr. Orange are gonna come up. :lemon:

Also

It's mentally ill people and hate-filled people that you should fear.

5e3.gif

The World.

Uh, yes it is???? You asked if we had visited America and if we ever wanted to and I said my bit; I don't want to go to a country where there isn't gun control. Don't make these threads if you don't want to be scorched.

- - - Post Merge - - -

remember when trump SHOVED an EU leader. i physically recoiled all of my limbs into my body seeing how rudely he acted at that conference.

Back