• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Do you go with the flow or plan everything?

Wickel

Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Switch
3043-1453-7341
Baby Chick Easter Egg
Sweetheart Easter Egg
Crescent Moon Easter Egg
Silent Night Bauble
Daisy Easter Egg
Pavé
Tricolored Puppy Plush
New Horizons Token
Leif
Just something I wondered: when you build your village, do you just go with the flow or plan everything? Leave open spaces for your PWPs, mark places for new villager houses etc?

Personally, I kinda like the randomness of AC, it's part of the game for me. I don't plan at all, I just skip around town catching butterflies and dropping PWPs wherever I've got space :D I don't use any tricks either, to make townies suggest PWPs or whatever. Just like I don't hold them back from moving: I like that my village is ever-changing and a bit messy.

But I also like the look of those totally planned towns, where even the villager houses are completely lined out. I often visit them in my dream suite haha.

What's your favourite way of playing?

I go with the flow as far as the look of my town. I don't time travel, no plot resetting, no diving "trick" for PWPs, none of that. I enjoy the randomness of life in Animal Crossing with one big exception.

I like to choose my villagers with amiibo cards because in previous games I've been stuck with characters I didn't like so I didn't enjoy playing​ as much.

We all have our little quirks. ;)

I don't time travel but I do plot reset. I used to do the diving trick up until I got most of the PWPs that I wanted. Now I just go with the flow and let my villagers suggest whatever. I have amiibo cards too but not the ones i'm interested in, so I just use them to move out villagers that i'm moving to my main town. When I plot reset I line up all of my villagers usually but since i've been time travelling a lot recently to grow my tree, i've realised that random house placement looks much more natural. So i'm going to try letting my villagers put their houses wherever.

Last edited:
I'm a PLANNER. I like my villagers in specific spots and I do the diving trick for PWP's. Sometimes I wish I could just go with the flow like I used to, but after visiting so many cool planned out towns in the dream suite I decided that's what I wanted to do lol. I like to plant lots of trees and grow hybrids though, so i have to put villagers in certain spots so they don't ruin the landscaping!

I usually plan. I've tried to go with the flow but then I get frustrated when things don't go smoothly and end up starting over.

First thing I did when I downloaded the game was layout my path, lol. All the stores were closed and I wanted to make sure I got a map I could work with.

I also laid out patterns for where I'd like certain PWPs to go, and even put PWPs I didn't want down as a way to preserve the spot. Specifically using the wooden fence as a place saver for The Roost.

And I already had house ideas drawn out before the game even came out, lol. Wish I saved them.

I have ideas for PWP placement that's it. I don't plan stuff. I adjust to the potential unfortunate errors. Otherwise it'll just stress me out to make stuff perfect. Animal Crossibg, to me, is a game to relax with; not to stress so hard to make stuff PERFECT.

Definitely go with the flow for me. But like Garrett, I do like to use my amiibo cards. Right now I have an abundance of cranky and uchi villagers as I am hoping to get more zen PWP requests. When I get the ones I am hoping for I will go back to having at least one of each personality type. But as far as where the villagers want their houses, I leave that up to them and then adjust accordingly. I like the randomness of that.

I started out going with the flow, but recently I've been more and more tempted to plan everything. I think I will continue to go with the flow, though, because I really want to keep ACNL as a relaxing, chill game. The only thing I'm planning out is where my villager's houses will be because I want to have some nice clusters (I don't need them to be in line, just in the general vicinity of each other. I think it's more charming when it looks more natural). I am planning some themed sections, but overall, I think I'm just going to chill out and let my creativity slowly show itself. I know that eventually, all my waiting and hard work will pay off and I'll feel even more satisfied than if I had planned everything and sped my town's growing process... :)

When I started with this game, I was definitely a "go with the flow" person, but I've gradually turned into a planner. When I first started playing, I didn't really know anything that was happening, so I was just like "oh ok" to anything that happened, but as I started to explore deeper into the game and look at Dream towns, I started to try to make my town more tidy and less random. I gradually became less and less satisfied with my town, then I went on a resetting spree before settling on one town for a good year or two. After that I took a break for a LOOONG time and when I came back I had no idea what was going on so I reset again. Seaport, my current town, is the town that came next, and I plan to keep this one forever. I've found a happy medium between obsessive planning and just letting things happen. My current greatest regret is that I invited Medli from the campground. She plotted in a really awkward space which cuts off my path from the bottom half of my town and she won't request to move because she's an amiibo invite. It's annoying, but I'm just gonna go with the flow and be hopeful.

Wow that was a lot of typing for very few thoughts to be expressed.

I went with the flow on my first town but on my second, I've planned it out. I had an idea where the villager houses would go and where I'm going to put the pwps. So far, I've gotten them where I wanted them to be (not all but maybe about 80%)

I go with the flow at first by seeing villagers move into my town randomly, and relaxing and learning how I move around the town and play the game. But once everyone has moved in, I start planning by adapting the result of going with the flow to how I construct my town. In other words, I do both in some manner.

I plan. :eek:

Like even though I don't have a 3DS (is broken) right now, I'm planning on my town atm.

There are changes I want to make such as town theme, villagers, etc.

Last edited:
I'm a planner. I don't do tricks for getting PWP's but I plot reset, and know where everything is going

I plan out the layout and set my paths down but I've always been lenient about villagers and who moves in. I just want them to move into the designated spots in town :'D Before the update came out I already planned my town out so I didn't get to use the QR path function much... and my new town is my no-time traveling town and I'm not going to be doing too much planning for that one.

I have one town that's my 'go with the flow and do whatever makes me happy' town, with all my favorite villagers, slightly chaotic pathing, and whatever PWP's I thought looked good just scattered about amidst way too many flowers. But after seeing so many cool Dream Suite towns I'm in the process of planning out a second town that I'm going to try and plan down to the smallest detail. I finally settled on a name today, so tomorrow is hopefully going to be spent getting a great map! So basically I'm going for the best of both worlds.

I plan but I'm not super anal about it. I don't do all the little tricks; diving, plot reset and anything else. Instead, I save spots with small PWPs and then destroy them when I get the PWP I actually want.

Planning. I got tired of villagers wrecking everything​ before the update. I had dreamies for a while but now I let villagers move into spots when they like. I miss not micromanaging but they killed my trees too many times.

Back