• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

The Bug Off: Which bug is best?

Moonfish

🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾
Bells
Shadow Kitty Plush
Dreamy Bear Plush
Bee Plush
Clownfish Plush
Dino Plush
Sheep Plush
Dreamy Party Popper
Moon Ball
Pokéball
Love Ball
The Bug Off is coming in just a few weeks! I, personally, would love to collect the entire insect set.

Now the question - which bug is best? I know that Nat judges bugs by size and luster. I know the best idea is to collect a bunch of beetles beforehand to be ready, but which beetle? Golden Stag? Horned Elephant? Horned Hercules?

Any ideas? :)

I use the birdwing and the oak silk moth - oak silk moth cheaper but I don't see so many.

Only stock up on those larger than ave size (the ave size is in Liquefy's walk thru faq on gamefaqs) - can't remember what it is for the oak silk moth for the birdwing its approx. 247mm - ie I only keep birdwings over that size and sell the others.

Nat - can just give you an ordinary item for a birdwing - you don't know the colour & lustre, just the size - so make sure you only keep the above ave size ones - up to now this has always got me bug furniture.

where to get them - in quantity I use my own island set it up with flowers & one centre island tree (at night the tree can get oak silk moths).
During the day, birdwings will be plentiful, go in and out of building to respawn them.

If you have access to another town its far easier to get the furniture, the visitor presents the birdwings
- keep the winning record low (you scupper yourself if you don't) and every birdwing so long as it breaks the record gets you furniture but does not change that record (so long as you just do with the visitor).

Easy when you have 2 towns, otherwise try and pair up with a friend.

If you do thebug tourney in your own town: each birdwing you give nat can alter the record, making it harder to get the bug furniture.
So birdwings don't work for long. Start low with darners etc and work up.

You have to keep a written record of each birdwing's size, (& know which one is which in your store) & present to nat in increasing size. so you slowly break your winning record. Possibly having to end up presenting an above ave Hercules or golden stag.

If its a visitor giving the bugs - you don't need to know the exact size, just that its above the average size for that bug.
The visitor does not change the winning record, just have to give above ave size & beat the current winning record. (so keep that low).

Using a visitor makes getting the furniture a bit too easy, feels like cheating. It isn't, its quite valid for a visitor to participate in your bug tourney.

I checked Liquefy: ave size of birdwing is 250mm (so I've been chancing it! You can win with a smaller size if the colour/lustre is good but that is game generated, no way of knowing that up front)
ave size of oak silk moth 320mm, so you want to keep those that are over. I don't get that many, but they are a lot cheaper.

Last edited:
I have 6 mango trees on my island, and I've as many as 4 trees with Silk Oath Moths at one time.
They sound like Bats when they take off.
I see on average, a dozen a night.

I have 6 mango trees on my island, and I've as many as 4 trees with Silk Oath Moths at one time.
They sound like Bats when they take off.
I see on average, a dozen a night.

Unusual to have so many trees in the centre - the general advice is to clear the centre altogether to increase the chances of the palm tree bugs.
Personally I've never done this, keep the centre full of flowers for butterflies and one fruit tree.
The trouble is oak silk moths scare so I can't see how you can catch more than one/two at a time without scaring the others off.
But they are cheaper to 'lose' to nat, and will respawn well with entry/exit building.

Palm tree bugs are on palm trees.
I haven't found that one affects the other.

I planted the trees myself.
I get a ton of Rainbow Stags, and later on, Giant Beetles and Scarabs.

I don't have a ridiculous amount of palms. Around 11.

I don't take much notice of FAQ's as they are one persons opinion.

I go by trial and error.

When something works, I stick with it. ^_^

Personally I don't care for the bug off set but there's a few pieces that I think i'd possibly use in my house. I have no idea which bug is best but I do know the villagers are pretty much just all talk when it comes to the bug off. Chances are if you catch a bug and stop playing for the rest of the day you'll still be in the lead. As long as it's a reasonable size. It shouldn't be much of a challenge so I wouldn't worry about it. :)

I use the birdwing and the oak silk moth - oak silk moth cheaper but I don't see so many.

Only stock up on those larger than ave size (the ave size is in Liquefy's walk thru faq on gamefaqs) - can't remember what it is for the oak silk moth for the birdwing its approx. 247mm - ie I only keep birdwings over that size and sell the others.

Nat - can just give you an ordinary item for a birdwing - you don't know the colour & lustre, just the size - so make sure you only keep the above ave size ones - up to now this has always got me bug furniture.

where to get them - in quantity I use my own island set it up with flowers & one centre island tree (at night the tree can get oak silk moths).
During the day, birdwings will be plentiful, go in and out of building to respawn them.

If you have access to another town its far easier to get the furniture, the visitor presents the birdwings
- keep the winning record low (you scupper yourself if you don't) and every birdwing so long as it breaks the record gets you furniture but does not change that record (so long as you just do with the visitor).

If you do thebug tourney in your own town: each birdwing you give nat can alter the record, making it harder to get the bug furniture.
So birdwings don't work for long. Start low with darners etc and work up.

You have to keep a written record of each birdwing's size, (& know which one is which in your store) & present to nat in increasing size. so you slowly break your winning record. Possibly having to end up presenting an above ave Hercules or golden stag.

If its a visitor giving the bugs - you don't need to know the exact size, just that its above the average size for that bug.
The visitor does not change the winning record, just have to give above ave size & beat the current winning record. (so keep that low).

Using a visitor makes getting the furniture a bit too easy, feels like cheating. It isn't, its quite valid for a visitor to participate in your bug tourney.

I checked Liquefy: ave size of birdwing is 250mm (so I've been chancing it! You can win with a smaller size if the colour/lustre is good but that is game generated, no way of knowing that up front)
ave size of oak silk moth 320mm, so you want to keep those that are over. I don't get that many, but they are a lot cheaper.

Thank you so much for this explanation! I have to plant a couple trees in the center of my island now so that I can hunt down the oak silk moths. :blush:

-

This is a great idea!! I didn't realize that visitors could donate to the bug off. I'll definitely have to use this method to get the last few items that I need from this set. I have all of the fish ones but there's quite a few that I'm missing from the bugs.

Last edited:
You can do similar with the fishing tourney - well the ones where you can present any fish to Chip are the easiest.

For 'any fish' tourneys, I use the ribbon eel (you can use whatever you like) because these eels are plentiful & relatively cheap, on the island. (but only the island).

Just swish the net to the water to get rid of the fish you don't want, plus go in & out of the building and/or use diving to refresh the fish - ribbon eels then come thick & fast.
You know exactly what they are as its the only long thin shadow. That's the main reason why I use them.

You need to keep any over 47 inches, which is the average length (giving this in inches as I think my game does give in inches rather than metric- literally can't remember, I have a PAL game set in English) Equivalent is 120 cm (approx.).

You can keep & present all sizes of bugs/fish - but as Nat & Chip judge on lustre, colour (whatever for fish) and size you can 'lose' with an expensive bug/fish and get given just an ordinary item.

Keeping those above the ave size increases your chances of getting the event furniture. (you still don't know what the game will assign for colour & lustre).

Using a visitor makes the tourneys very easy.
You can do the tourneys/bug off on your own, but size becomes more important, you have to keep the bugs in store and make a written note of their sizes so that you present them in order to Nat & Chip.
When I have done the events on my own I have never managed to get all 6 items, but maybe you are not supposed to, as you get more than one chance in the year for each of the 2 sets.

Last edited:
Back