• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Have you ever thought about leaving TBT?

I'd argue that it's for both making connections and for AC (not deep connections, just connections to be specific). There are people who use the site only for AC-related things and people who use the site to laugh and have fun with others (TBT game nights with Smash, Mario Kart, and more is a perfect example of this as that's technically not related to Animal Crossing).

And also to provide interesting discussions that you won't find anywhere else. Granted, some discussions can go overboard, but interesting discussions nonetheless.

If that's all included under "chatting" then you can disregard my response completely. Otherwise to say the forum is strictly for Animal Crossing seems like a bit of a stretch, imo. 🥴
No no I agree with you! Def not only animal crossing stuff (sorry thats all I use it for some lulll). I agree its for basic online friendships and having fun. I was just surprised that a decent amount of people have had 'drama' on an ac forum o.o
Edit: Spelling

No no I agree with you! Def not only animal crossing stuff (sorry thats all I use it for some lulll). I agree its for basic online friendships and having fun. I was just surprised that a decent amount of people have had 'drama' on an ac forum o.o
Edit: Spelling
Most of the drama comes from topics not related to Animal Crossing. Controversial topics can get heated.

No I've never thought about leaving on a permanent basis. I may disappear for a couple weeks at a time (like I just did) for work reasons, but that's about it...otherwise I try to check in on a somewhat regular basis.

I will say though, over the past couple years there have been more 'negativity whirlpools' than there ever was around here during the NL era, so I dunno if it's pandemic related or what...
It's not enough to deter me from coming on here, but now I sign on knowing there's a chance I'm gonna see a pity party where as that never used to be the case.

Just to put things in perspective, most of the complaints I usually see are considered 1st world problems...so if that's the worst thing happening to you, consider yourself lucky.

No I've never thought about leaving on a permanent basis. I may disappear for a couple weeks at a time (like I just did) for work reasons, but that's about it...otherwise I try to check in on a somewhat regular basis.

I will say though, over the past couple years there have been more 'negativity whirlpools' than there ever was around here during the NL era, so I dunno if it's pandemic related or what...
It's not enough to deter me from coming on here, but now I sign on knowing there's a chance I'm gonna see a pity party where as that never used to be the case.

Just to put things in perspective, most of the complaints I usually see are considered 1st world problems...so if that's the worst thing happening to you, consider yourself lucky.

Lol, I actually remember it being a lot more chaotic during the NL era because moderation wasn't as strict. Not sure what you mean by 'negativity whirlpools'. Are you talking about topics that get out of hand? That I can understand, because there certainly have been a lot of those recently.

If you just mean things that are bothering people individually, whether it's a 1st world problem or not, it's just as valid as anyone else's problem. Just because someone isn't living in, I don't know, Africa and suffering from hunger and poverty, doesn't automatically mean they're having a great life. I'm not sure that needs to be said though.

I can agree with what Fox is saying though Midoriya. If someone comments that they're having the worst day in the world because a package they were expecting was delayed until the next day, there are a lot of other folks who have it worst. It's always good to have that in perspective. A package not coming the day you were expecting definitely is annoying and can throw a wrench in said plans, but I'd take that over having my house burn down ect.

I know some folk I work with that bellyache all the time about silly things like they have the worst life and sometimes they just need a reality check.

On the topic at hand, I've never actively considered leaving for good. I would just happen to take longer hiatuses sometimes. Not by choice, life and all would just get hectic and busy. Even though the pandemic made me work crazy hours, I'm working way more now that it's apparently in its late stages than I was when it was at its peak. So some days/weeks I'm just too tired to log on.

I don't really remember the NL days all that well since I just joined for a place to trade at the time.

ive considered leaving tbt for a few reasons, but i wont until i feel that it brings me more negativity than positivity overall, but i have been thinking about leaving lately more so than ever before. i used to see mostly supportive posts, but lately ive been going through a lot and honestly the recurring transphobic posts are pretty upsetting. i know people have different values and opinions, but i used to consider tbt to be a sort of safe space for me that helped my mental health but seeing those posts even here really brings me down. they usually get deleted eventually, but so do all the responses that could help educate people on what it means to be transgender and hopefully normalize it more. it just sort of ruined the environment for me along with the reoccurring arguments that happen. i just want to come here for positivity but lately ive been feeling a lot of negativity. there are so many great people here though and the events are really fun so im not ready to say goodbye yet, but ive been thinking about it more recently

I was inactive for about 4 years before NH came out. I like this site and the people, but it gets kind of dead between AC games. The 2.0 effect is starting to wear off for a lot of people and I think ACNH is approaching the end of its lifespan. I'll probably not be visiting very often at that point until the next AC release.

I can agree with what Fox is saying though Midoriya. If someone comments that they're having the worst day in the world because a package they were expecting was delayed until the next day, there are a lot of other folks who have it worst. It's always good to have that in perspective. A package not coming the day you were expecting definitely is annoying and can throw a wrench in said plans, but I'd take that over having my house burn down ect.

I know some folk I work with that bellyache all the time about silly things like they have the worst life and sometimes they just need a reality check.

On the topic at hand, I've never actively considered leaving for good. I would just happen to take longer hiatuses sometimes. Not by choice, life and all would just get hectic and busy. Even though the pandemic made me work crazy hours, I'm working way more now that it's apparently in its late stages than I was when it was at its peak. So some days/weeks I'm just too tired to log on.

I don't really remember the NL days all that well since I just joined for a place to trade at the time.

Ah yeah, that does make sense when you put it like that. I can agree in that sense as well. The main point I was trying to make there is that no one's problem should be called invalid. But I don't think anyone's doing that here.

This is the last post I'll make in this thread, lmao. *bows out respectfully* 🙏

I don't see the negative posts? Maybe I'm not looking in the right spots for them but I'm happy I'm missing out. Everyone is so nice and honestly for an anon forum where anybody can be anybody, it really feels like a tightknit community where I feel welcome. It's just such a breath of fresh air compared to lots of other places online. I don't plan on leaving anytime soon. Sometimes I take a break due to being busy irl but I always come back.

Lol, I actually remember it being a lot more chaotic during the NL era because moderation wasn't as strict. Not sure what you mean by 'negativity whirlpools'. Are you talking about topics that get out of hand? That I can understand, because there certainly have been a lot of those recently.

If you just mean things that are bothering people individually, whether it's a 1st world problem or not, it's just as valid as anyone else's problem. Just because someone isn't living in, I don't know, Africa and suffering from hunger and poverty, doesn't automatically mean they're having a great life. I'm not sure that needs to be said though.
I disagree. Moderation wasn't as strict? Do you even remember how many people were getting dinged with 'mini modding' infractions? It got to a point where an actual separate website/chatroom was created just to complain about how 'unfair' the mods were being.
I never partook in the conversations, I was just shown them and obviously out of human curiosity read through them. The only potential 'drama' I remember generally revolved around the cycling threads...because naturally people used to feel like they were entitled to the free service other users were providing.
Exactly.

We are potentially on the cusp of another world war and a famine...while we continue to endure the pandemic...so my apologies if I don't consider the fact that you have to wake up early tomorrow a valid problem.

I disagree. Moderation wasn't as strict? Do you even remember how many people were getting dinged with 'mini modding' infractions? It got to a point where an actual separate website/chatroom was created just to complain about how 'unfair' the mods were being.
I never partook in the conversations, I was just shown them and obviously out of human curiosity read through them. The only potential 'drama' I remember generally revolved around the cycling threads...because naturally people used to feel like they were entitled to the free service other users were providing.

Exactly.

We are potentially on the cusp of another world war and a famine...while we continue to endure the pandemic...so my apologies if I don't consider the fact that you have to wake up early tomorrow a valid problem.

I wasn't going to post again to be honest, but I will say that I do remember the mini modding infractions because I even received a couple myself. I don't remember a ton of the NL era to be honest as I've forgotten most of it by now or just chosen not to remember it. I will say, however, that IF moderation was more strict back then, then I'm not sure why the forum seems a lot more peaceful these days than back then. From what I've heard at least, there was a time from 2016-2017 where threads were getting constantly locked because of politics debates. And before that, maybe strict wasn't the best word there, but the current staff does seem to know what they're doing compared to the past staff. There was a time early on when I was using the site when I got unjustfully banned, and then it was removed not too much later, before it was supposed to be. I can tell you with 100% certainty that nothing like that would happen these days.

On the second point, I'm not downplaying world wars, famines, or pandemics at all. I'm just saying people still have valid problems outside of these. And no, waking up early tomorrow isn't one of them. You are correct about that, lol.

I wasn't going to post again to be honest, but I will say that I do remember the mini modding infractions because I even received a couple myself. I don't remember a ton of the NL era to be honest as I've forgotten most of it by now or just chosen not to remember it. I will say, however, that IF moderation was more strict back then, then I'm not sure why the forum seems a lot more peaceful these days than back then. From what I've heard at least, there was a time from 2016-2017 where threads were getting constantly locked because of politics debates. And before that, maybe strict wasn't the best word there, but the current staff does seem to know what they're doing compared to the past staff. There was a time early on when I was using the site when I got unjustfully banned, and then it was removed not too much later, before it was supposed to be. I can tell you with 100% certainty that nothing like that would happen these days.
Maybe it's all about being in the right place at the right time? I don't remember any political debates back then, which probably had to do with the fact that I spent most of my time in the trading and cycling threads.

The last line of yours...(not that I'm encouraging anybody to go looking)...but I agree with. Last egg hunt, I found some really deep dark places here...like we're talking clearly at the very beginning when people weren't as easily offended and anybody just said anything. I found a few jaw dropping conversations lol

Maybe it's all about being in the right place at the right time? I don't remember any political debates back then, which probably had to do with the fact that I spent most of my time in the trading and cycling threads.

The last line of yours...(not that I'm encouraging anybody to go looking)...but I agree with. Last egg hunt, I found some really deep dark places here...like we're talking clearly at the very beginning when people weren't as easily offended and anybody just said anything. I found a few jaw dropping conversations lol

Yeah, if you spent most of your time in trading and cycling threads you probably wouldn't have seen them. Just like I wouldn't have seen any of the drama concerning the cycling threads because, frankly, I never visited those sections back then. It is definitely a case of being in the right place at the right time. It's difficult for one person to remember so much of what has gone on, especially as the years increase.

And yes, I am not surprised that you found those conversations.

You've made a lot of good points and I feel as though I'm getting off-topic, so I'll stop posting here. If you want, we can talk about it more in DMs. (y)

.like we're talking clearly at the very beginning when people weren't as easily offended and anybody just said anything. I found a few jaw dropping conversations lol
Those were the good days nowadays you can hardly open your mouth.

Also knowing myself I will probs take breaks in the future or maybe quit, but need to reach at least 69420 posts lmao

Nah, I'm planning to stick around, unless the environment on here suddenly takes a drastic turn or anything. It's definitely not perfect, and I've noticed an uptick in negativity in recent months myself, but TBT is, by far, the least toxic online community I've been in. My mental health has really improved a lot since I started being active on here a little over a year ago, and I love the site events and sense of community. I have a lot of fun participating and seeing what everyone else comes up with, and in-between events I often find myself looking forward to what the next one will be. Even if I'm not actively playing AC, I don't see myself going anywhere.

It takes a lot to make me actually delete an account on a website. "Quitting" seems like a strange word to use, I mean this is a website, not a job. Just come and go as you please.

I will say though, this site seems a lot more dead lately than it was when the NH boom was going on.

i think i would never quit this site. just be inactive for a while and then come back. ive been inactive sometimes and didnt care as much for events but i always came back. also im more of a lurker cause im pretty shy so i dont get really invested in topics and such. im mainly here for ac, art, events and collectibles.

i think i would never quit this site. just be inactive for a while and then come back. ive been inactive sometimes and didnt care as much for events but i always came back. also im more of a lurker cause im pretty shy so i dont get really invested in topics and such. im mainly here for ac, art, events and collectibles.
Honestly, I think the events and the collectibles are what keeps the site as active as it is. I’m really thankful for the events and the time that gets put into them. I love forums, so I’m glad this is such an active community.

I have no intention of ever quitting the site. I’ve had far more positive experiences on this site than negative. There’s something about this place that’s more homey than most other forums. Those sites tend to feel cliquey and impersonal. When I post there I feel ignored and unwelcome. Here, most people are very friendly. I’ve made some great friends that I wouldn’t have met otherwise. Even though I’m a very casual Animal Crossing player I still feel like an actual part of the community. You can talk about a wide variety of topics on here and I appreciate that.

Last edited:
I don't know anymore. I guess maybe since I came back I have gotten a lot better of interacting with others and being a lot more careful about of what not to do, but......it still feels weird. I just hate looking at my old threads, all of the warning points I had in the past are still there. It just makes me feel sad and uncomfortable. I do take a break from this site whenever things get too much, but its not like my personal life is any better. I don't know anymore......

Back