• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

More difficult time catching beetles??

pattieface

Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Okay is it just me or did catching beetles become more difficult with the AC update? I recently got back into AC last month and barely updated and I swear! I went to the island to catch bugs and i missed like 6 in a row??

maybe out of practice? with the beetles you have to move awfully slow to avoid spooking them, after all

It's just you. Try judging the distance between yourself and the tree before swinging your net. And tread carefully. Running around just scares the beetles away.

Last edited:
I don't think it's too hard to catch them. I'll only ever have 1 or 2 fly away on any given visit.

What I've done on the island is plant flowers in front of the trees at the correct distance for catching bugs, so when I stand on the flowers​ I swing!

Much easier than trying to judge it each time.

They're ridiculously sensitive, except Goliath and Cyclommatus.
I reckon I could hurl a brick at those, and they wouldn't budge.

Just creep up really slowly.
It becomes mindless after a while.

I catch on average just over $1,000,000 worth a night, in 3 trips.
If I wake up early enough, the Giant and Rainbow Stags are pretty plentiful!

Last edited:
Well, I agree with the others. You may have been out of practice since you haven't been on for a while. You have to creep up on the beetles, careful not to scare them. If you are on your own island, what I like to do is dig holes with a shovel in front of all the palm trees. When I spot a beetle, I creep up in front of the hole ahead of the tree and once I walk in front of the hole, I swing my net and get the bug every time. When I'm on an island with other players, I prefer not to do this method as they dislike the holes and may walk past the bugs, scaring them and making them fly away. Also, silver nets are nets that have a bigger catch radius, meaning that you don't have to aim that much when you catch a bug on a tree. You can obtain silver nets by opening the Museum Shop, and donating 30 species of bugs to the museum. Here's an example of the trees.
T = Tree
BT = Beetle on Tree
H = Hole
P = Player

BT
H
P

Well, I agree with the others. You may have been out of practice since you haven't been on for a while. You have to creep up on the beetles, careful not to scare them. If you are on your own island, what I like to do is dig holes with a shovel in front of all the palm trees. When I spot a beetle, I creep up in front of the hole ahead of the tree and once I walk in front of the hole, I swing my net and get the bug every time. When I'm on an island with other players, I prefer not to do this method as they dislike the holes and may walk past the bugs, scaring them and making them fly away. Also, silver nets are nets that have a bigger catch radius, meaning that you don't have to aim that much when you catch a bug on a tree. You can obtain silver nets by opening the Museum Shop, and donating 30 species of bugs to the museum. Here's an example of the trees.
T = Tree
BT = Beetle on Tree
H = Hole
P = Player

BT
H
P

Except you can't bring your own tools to the island. At least not if you play by legitimate standards.

Back