• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Best year for Animal Crossing: New Leaf

What year was the best in ACNL?

• Year 1 (6/9/13 to 6/8/14)

Votes: 21 48.8%
  • Year 2 (6/9/14 to 6/8/15)

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • Year 3 (6/9/15 to 6/8/16)

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • Year 4 (6/9/16 to 6/8/17)

Votes: 16 37.2%

• Total voters

Alolan_Apples

Apple Imperialist
Apple 🍎
Coconut 🥥
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Switch
1624-3778-0694
Perfect Apple
Perfect Apple
Perfect Apple
Perfect Apple
Perfect Apple
Apple (Fruit)
Apple (Fruit)
Apple (Fruit)
Apple (Fruit)
Apple (Fruit)
Since Year 4 of ACNL is about to come to an end in two weeks, I would like your opinion on the years of ACNL. Based on your personal experiences with the game, the community that plays the game, and other AC events, what year did you have the best experience with ACNL? You can also share what you did each year.

Yearly summaries:

Year 1 was the year ACNL came out worldwide.
Year 2 was a regular year for ACNL.
Year 3 was when Happy Home Designer and amiibo Festival came out.
Year 4 was when the AC Welcome amiibo update was released.

Personally it was the first year for me. At the start I had a pretty large group of internet friends that also liked acnl and we all played together.

I have to say I really do enjoy the welcome amiibo update.

Last edited:
I would say Year 4 is the best because of the amiibo update.
Year 2 would be my second best because that's when I was making the town of StarFall. I like my new town more, but at least I had more fun when I was working on StarFall.

I'm bias for the year of release because this was when I travelled to Australia and met my husband. We bought two 3DSs just for AC:NL and I'll always remember those days so fondly. While the update has added a lot of good stuff, my husband now doesn't play so it's not quite the same anymore.

If the update did not get rid of the old DAs I would have voted for year 4 but because I this I voted for year 1. Many more people played during the first year and the street passes were great.

I think this year because I only started playing last month :)~ but seriously the amiibo update is so fun and I love the Sanrio furniture

While year 4 was awesome because of the amazing update, I'd have to say I had the most fun during year 1, which is probably because I had some of the most amazing memories from back then. I loved just sitting down and playing with my family for hours on end. No matter what we were doing we were always having fun. Whether we were fishing, doing tours, playing a game we made up, catching bugs, going shopping, trading items, or anything else, we were always having a good time. That and the fact that there was always something "new" (and i say "new" because I have pretty much seen it all at this point.) going on, for example how whenever I logged on the next day there would always be a new shop opened or someone new moved in, made for an amazing experience. Now don't get me wrong, there still is generally something "new" going on everyday, but I'll have to admit that it doesn't feel the same as it did then since it's not as exciting. I already have 10 villagers, and all of the shops except one, so nothing that i'm not already used to. Not only that but also the fact that my family doesn't want to play anywhere near as often as they used to, which made my experience this year not nearly as enjoyable as the first year.

If you want to know why I didn't enjoy the first year as much, it's actually because the two towns I had then (Westport and Belcroft) were not as good as my two towns I had since Year 2. I didn't even like Westport, as Belcroft was good, but it wasn't Dream Town worthy.

I've only been playing it this year, and it's one huge disappointment after another.

WW was better in so many ways.

That depends. I really, really like the new update and everything that was added to the game. On the other hand, my friends and I would spend hours glitching with our nets and taking pictures of the crazy places we got ourselves into.

I vote for year four because that's when I started playing NL!

I've only been playing it this year, and it's one huge disappointment after another.

WW was better in so many ways.

Why has it been a disappointment? :(

I vote for year four because that's when I started playing NL!

Why has it been a disappointment? :(

The villagers are all mindless drones. They lack the decent dialogue they had in WW.

The horrid grass wear.
My town has NO grass after 12 weeks. o_O
The fact that I'm stuck with the amiibo's I scanned in - FOREVER.
They NEVER ping to move.

Every day is the same.

They ALL ask for perfect fruit, day in, day out.

I've come to loathe being near them, hence, why I spend what time I can, on the island. Away from the mindless leeches.

That's just a few reasons.

The first year was the best from my experience. It was the build up of excitement when the release date eventually came around. I remember watching game play videos on Youtube from people who already had the game. This was also during the time when I was more closely knit to people with the same interests as me, so having that discussion about New Leaf with a group of friends somewhat made the experience even better. I enjoyed discovering the new features when playing the game and the significant transformation from City Folk to New Leaf - they were completely different.

Year 3, because of HHD
If that didn't exist, I'd choose Year 1

- - - Post Merge - - -

The villagers are all mindless drones. They lack the decent dialogue they had in WW.

The horrid grass wear.
They NEVER ping to move.

Every day is the same.

I've come to loathe being near them, hence, why I spend what time I can, on the island. Away from the mindless leeches.

Why are your Amiibos stuck with you forever??
I only moved mine is last week and she's already asking to move ://

- - - Post Merge - - -

The horrid grass wear.
They NEVER ping to move.

Every day is the same.

The first, maybe second years because it was really active (at least here and probably on other sites as well... at least in 2013).

I mean I don't care about the amiibo update, most because you need that adapter for older models and i think the card things takes away a bit of fun with the RNG.

Year 3, because of HHD
If that didn't exist, I'd choose Year 1

- - - Post Merge - - -

- - - Post Merge - - -

I asked them/scanned to move in, and only have 3 normal villagers.
I didn't know amiibo's never move out, but after 4 months, only my 3 non amiibo's ping to move.
They even do it in order.

I regret it, because I can't stand to be near them anymore.

I wish I had all normal villagers.
The amiibo's also moved next to, behind, AND in front of me.

I asked them/scanned to move in, and only have 3 normal villagers.
I didn't know amiibo's never move out, but after 4 months, only my 3 non amiibo's ping to move.
They even do it in order.

I regret it, because I can't stand to be near them anymore.

I wish I had all normal villagers.
The amiibo's also moved next to, behind, AND in front of me.

They can move out though.

- - - Post Merge - - -

The horrid grass wear.
They NEVER ping to move.

Every day is the same.

I don't see how New Leaf is any different to Wild World, in both games you have to do something to make it enjoyable.
You have multiple options, the island, building a PWP, landscaping etcetera. Wild World lacked all of this.

It seems that you are annoyed by this game when it is essentially the same as Wild World although New Leaf has more options.

It's been 4 months, and only my 3 non amiibo's ever ping.

I can tell you who will ping tomorrow.

Eunice.

It was Henry yesterday.
Bluebear before that.

After Eunice, it will be Bluebear - again.

Day in, day out. Month after month.

I've proven they do NOT move.

I got my game year 2. I'd say year 2 for me because the game was new. By now I just want a new ac game. Not on mobile a real new one not a spin off. Like why is animal crossing turning into Kingdom Hearts spinoff wise pretty soon XD

Back