• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

BRING BACK THE ACTUALLY MEAN CRANKY VILLAGERS!

InterestingOtaku

Nobody's a hero when they're crying for air...
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
User Title Color Change
Cake
3 Envelopes
I dunno! I really liked the idea of having some villagers in my town be "rude." Like, when they first move in they don't care for many people, or get annoyed /angry if anything! Then slowly start to tolerate other villagers/players as time goes on! Thoughts?

Yeah no the cranky villagers are a bit mean at first, but then get really friendly after a while. Them being mean is nothing compared to previous games. I find Uchi villagers meaner at first and even then that's not that mean.

Yeah, it seems that animals have gotten too nice to you in-game. Back in the GC version, Cranky villagers, Snooty villagers, Resetti, and Phyllis were the meanest characters. Now the only mean characters are other players online (the bad ones). There's not a mean NPC.

Another thing I miss...how animal actually taught you lessons (like dieting and eating vs sleeping).

Last edited:
I agree, we need meaner villagers. Nintendo shouldn't have listened to the dumb parent complaints. BRING BACK THE BULLIES.

Wolfgang need to be meaner so yes! I'm with you.

Nintendo gave the NL villagers a labotomy.

I remember in WW, the first time I saw Wolfgang walking around, was at 3 AM, carrying a shovel. He came up to me, said 'Take my Exotic Chair, and don't ask questions'.

He freaked me out with the shovel. I thought he was burying bodies. O_O

I miss the steam coming out of his head, when you gave him the wrong answer to a question.

Now he's all 'Do you like Spaghetti or Mac 'n Cheese?'.

WHY Nintendo? o_O

I hate the fact they removed the actual way villagers go easily mad at you, used to make me care alot more about them and stuff but now ever since those dumb parents complained they removed the actual harsh comebacks and retorts that the snooty and cranky villagers had, oh nintendo :(

I agree, we need meaner villagers. Nintendo shouldn't have listened to the dumb parent complaints. BRING BACK THE BULLIES.

People these days are hypersensitive. People actually weren't scared of anything when the US got involved in World War II. Now kids can't even handle rude NPCs in video games.

The Cranky and Snooty villagers should also send rude letters if you agree to help them, but don't do them. That would make them meaner.

Nintendo needs to listen to their older fans too. While they're dumbing down the difficulty of other games with stuff like handholding, less obstacles, and softer enemies, they made their characters too nice.

But when it comes to Resetti, they should make him mean again, but if your reasoning was that your game froze or if your batteries died, he won't be mean at all.

Yes, I enjoy when some of the villagers have more of an attitude. It adds a bit more variety to the personalities and makes it more interesting. Also some of the mean characters like Resetti are my favorite because their insults are pretty funny.

It it weren't for the deep voices I wouldn't even know who was cranky anymore :/

I don't like villagers that are deliberately rude to the player. I'm not a softie in any way, but they really irritate me. That's why on AC:GCN I try my darned hardest not to have any cranky or snooty villagers in my town. I like them more on New Leaf, where they're still a bit snappy but they don't call you things like "big baby".

I mean you wouldn't want to have to associate yourself with a terribly rude person in real life if you didn't have to, right?

I'd love if they were really mean at first (Gamecube levels) and then gradually became the level of nice they get at maximum friendship now.

Last edited:
after playing the gamecube version, i felt the new leaf villagers were way too nice to the player, even if you were to be really mean to them and they would be angry then the next moment "hi, mayor! its a wonderful day today isnt it? i just want to thank you so much for being such a great mayor! you really bring the best to the town!" there is no consequences to being mean to the villagers, which takes away the "real" feeling of socializing with the villagers.

its like the villagers are on "fire emblem: fates" level of kissing up to the player.

the fact that they are mean, puts more significance in them when they are being nice. it actually feels like a social acheivement. and puts more meaning into the friendship.

i think they did it for the same reason resetti is optional.
"for the kids .-."
for real, the crankies and snooties were SAVAGES in gamecube. gamecube AC was pretty much savage in general.

Since I only started playing this game last year, I'm not sure. The snooty villagers seem more cranky to me than the cranky villagers, so I do think the crankies could use an extra sense of personality... But I also think that due to cultural standards changing lately, and how the game is marketed towards kids, there needs some subtlety to it.

To me, I don't think they should just be rude and mean for the sake of it, but with actual reasons behind why they're cranky. There should be a story behind their behavior as you befriend them. Otherwise, all a child would see is meanness, and not think of the feelings of the villagers - even though they're just CG.

Personally,I don't miss the a-hole cranky and snooty villagers I had in my Gamecube town.I had Spike,Monique and Olivia in ACGC and I avoided them like the plague.The funny thing is that none of them ever moved away...it's been over fourteen years and they're all still there.Here's a link to an interview with one of Nintendo's producers and he readily admits that they wanted to make AC nicer:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/194661/an_inviting_miniworld_how_.php

As someone who avoids needlessly abrasive people, I don't think I'd like the characters if they were on the more extreme side. I know they're just characters in a video game, but encountering reminders of said people doesn't put me in a great mood for gaming, haha.

I agree, I used to love it when the crankies and snooties were ruder! Now they're just watered down and a bit boring, compared to how they were on the Gamecube and even on Wild World! I remember I gave Peanut some furniture on Wild World once and she thanked me, but then muttered "barf me out the door!" under her breath and it made me laugh because I wasn't expecting it - they should bring things like that back!

Back