• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Do You Think Gaming Companies Are Getting More Greedy?

Do You Think Gaming Companies Are Getting More Greedy?

• Yes

Votes: 25 86.2%
  • No

Votes: 4 13.8%

• Total voters

DarkDesertFox

Your Typical Trickster
Orange 🍊
Durian 🌽
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Blue Junimo Easter Egg
Splat Easter Egg
Shooting Star
Tetris Grid
Kirby Easter Egg
Rainbow Feather
Chocolate Cake
Popsicle (TBT Beach Party)
Ice Cream Swirl (TBT Beach Party)
I think micro-transactions have become a major problem. A couple examples recently include the Overwatch anniversary event that dropped right after the Uprising event giving players little time to restock on their coins. However, this event dropped 24 event exclusive dances and 11 legendary skins pretty much forcing players to purchase loot boxes if they want any chance of getting a lot of the loot. Furthermore, I recently purchased Injustice 2 and already I am seeing micro-transactions for purchasing source crystals used for buying cosmetics and instantly leveling up a character to level 20. These crystals are very limited and difficult to obtain in-game. In addition, they already dropped a day one DLC character that should have been included in-game.

Over the years I've also noticed apps becoming free with ads and micro-transactions for the company to make money. Before, I would just purchase an app and it would be advertisement free with little to no micro-transactions. Now, countless apps are free and rely on micro-transactions to hook people on the game to get them to take the shorter route to unlocking things. I just think gaming companies have gotten super greedy with making money. What do you think?

No, they are just gravitating more towards the trends that make them more profit. They are, after all, businesses. And they are in business to make money.

This is why I don't mess with multiplayer games... or phone games. Everything is about who can afford the best stuff rather than skill.

I wouldn't say companies are getting more greedy, they just have a lot more outlets to show their greed than they used to.

This is why I don't mess with multiplayer games... or phone games. Everything is about who can afford the best stuff rather than skill.

...But they're not limited to multiplayer or phone games, and not all multiplayer and phone games do this.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided was a single player console/PC game yet it still had microtransactions. It's not exactly the rare exception either, just the first to spring to mind. Dead Space 3 was pretty notorious for it as well.

Most multiplayer games will also only tend to give out cosmetic items, which doesn't make it any better, but it still leaves the gameplay down to player ability than wallet size. Like Overwatch, none of the unlocks make anybody any better at the game. 'Pay to Win' games don't typically gain much popularity.

Eh, maybe. Electronic Arts has already reached its limit of greed by doing things such as releasing a "new" FIFA game each year for ?40 then expecting people to buy ?400 of FIFA points on top of Xbox Live/PS4 Online. I think it's absurd that people are expected to be subjected to microtransactions after paying a large sum of money for something that will be in charity shops in a couple years time.

Eh, maybe. Electronic Arts has already reached its limit of greed by doing things such as releasing a "new" FIFA game each year for ?40 then expecting people to buy ?400 of FIFA points on top of Xbox Live/PS4 Online. I think it's absurd that people are expected to be subjected to microtransactions after paying a large sum of money for something that will be in charity shops in a couple years time.

Yeah, and to an extent most Plants vs. Zombies, especially their Heroes game. Not that I ever buy the new event when they sell ut (only did once because it was charity and you got nice cards) but all those weekly events sneak peek ones just taking it to a limit :/

A bit same with Garden Warfare 2, I mean you can earn easy currency there when/if you do free events yet they are trying to get you to buy with RLC lol. I admit I bought this Party pack now because you got a lot of things but ya.
--

And Nintendo/Inteliigent Systems with Fire Emblem Heroes. Like, those dailies hardly give you anything unless they have a Voting Gauntlet every now and then and you don't really stamina potions and duel crests **** to be honest. Keep the daily orb going rather than removing it and such.. so yeah it's a good game if you like the FE series but yeah they are even worse than Candy Crush and whatnot out there.

Yes, gaming companies have definitely become much more greedy.

What gets me is that people actually defend them. Like the Kingdom Hearts mobile game (Unchained or now Union Cross), the "microtransactions" cost a FORTUNE. They are NOT microtransactions by any understanding I have of the word. They charge you $15 a week for a VIP pack which doesn't really give you that much. And then it costs like $30 to buy enough jewels to pull one set of medals which is RANDOM and will not alone take care of you in the game, at all, since you need several copies of a single medal to make it powerful enough to actually use and now there are traits, which are gotten only by having a copy of the same medal. A single pull gets you ten random medals. It's very rare that you get more than one copy of the same medal, and most medals you get in a pull are worthless.

I'm only touching the very surface of how greedy that game is. It's horrible... And yet there are people saying "Well, SE needs to make money to live". Um. I don't know about them, but I was alive when mobile games (Gameboy) cost $30 to buy and that was it, you had the FULL game, never had to pay another cent. Clearly, SE does not need all of the money they're making off of people with the KH mobile game. There's no way in the world.

Last edited:
Yes, gaming companies have definitely become much more greedy.

What gets me is that people actually defend them. Like the Kingdom Hearts mobile game (Unchained or now Union Cross), the "microtransactions" cost a FORTUNE. They are NOT microtransactions by any understanding I have of the word. They charge you $15 a week for a VIP pack which doesn't really give you that much. And then it costs like $30 to buy enough jewels to pull one set of medals which is RANDOM and will not alone take care of you in the game, at all, since you need several copies of a single medal to make it powerful enough to actually use and now there are traits, which are gotten only by having a copy of the same medal. A single pull gets you ten random medals. It's very rare that you get more than one copy of the same medal, and most medals you get in a pull are worthless.

I'm only touching the very surface of how greedy that game is. It's horrible... And yet there are people saying "Well, SE needs to make money to live". Um. I don't know about them, but I was alive when mobile games (Gameboy) cost $30 to buy and that was it, you had the FULL game, never had to pay another cent. Clearly, SE does not need all of the money they're making off of people with the KH mobile game. There's no way in the world.

Yeah I hardly doubt the companies need all that dough, especially not Nintendo and that Intelligent (more like dumb) company considering on how many playing the games. Like $4 for like, 3 orbs no thanks.

The most important code behind a video game is the love. Without that, what is there?

The most important code behind a video game is the love. Without that, what is there?

Easy shots at things that addicts people and they are willing to pay money for? :] But yeah in a way I wish they never did FE Heroes. I mean at least in Miitomo you can save up without spending real money.

There's no way to accumulate the currency in FE:Heroes? What in the world. Even in KH Unchained/Union Cross you can collect jewels. Just very slowly.

There's no way to accumulate the currency in FE:Heroes? What in the world. Even in KH Unchained/Union Cross you can collect jewels. Just very slowly.

They sometimes do give out one or three ones as daily login bonus but it's been pretty dry lately. And if they are feeling generous after those Voting Gauntlet things they can give out 20 if they want. But yeah it's probably even slower than KH games (never tried those but smh this game is just crap unless you buy orbs for RLC and the ratio is the crappiest ever).

Let's be honest, if we were sitting at their chair earning the same amount money.

Earn a lot more by adding Micro Transactions or remove the whole expect of it and earn a lot less.

Business wise they are doing the correct thing following the market what is working at the moment, can you blame them? To be honest not at all.

Do I preffer the old days ofcourse, but if I was running a business and my year earnings would double by adding Micro Transactions I would be stupid If I didn't?

At the end honestly I can't blame them. I do wish it was like in the old days.

Let's be honest, if we were sitting at their chair earning the same amount money.

Earn a lot more by adding Micro Transactions or remove the whole expect of it and earn a lot less.

Business wise they are doing the correct thing following the market what is working at the moment, can you blame them? To be honest not at all.

Do I preffer the old days ofcourse, but if I was running a business and my year earnings would double by adding Micro Transactions I would be stupid If I didn't?

Remove it and earn less, I doubt one really needs that amount of money.. unlike those greedy companies. I mean sure have those concept of currency but seriously FE Heroes like, never gives out a good amount and when they do it's hardly enough for a good summon. At least Miitomo and PvZ Heroes let's you save up as long as you are active.

And yeah, FE Heroes have their storylines but once you get up to Lunatic you're done unless you have the perfect IV team in higher levels.

- - - Post Merge - - -

And yeah, the orbs you get from storylines stuff might last a while but if you really need to get something done you gotta save, or re-roll when you first start to get awesome IV 5* people, and such. I really wish would stop being greedy especially with people who actually spend money on it and not having the "hi lol buy at really bad rates and get broke" attitude.

Sometimes there are better benefits than a little extra profit on a game through micro-transactions. Building a good image for your company, customer loyalty, and overall a more well-polished game. Look at all the people who ***** about EA because of the amount of micro-transactions they put in their games. Do their games sell? Absolutely. Could they improve upon selling their games? For sure. Games like Destiny have lost me from buying any of their games from the series again because of the micro-transaction hell. Aside from the loot boxes I mentioned earlier, one of the reasons Overwatch is so popular is because they drop so much free content (maps, game modes, new features) and the players really like that.

these are for-profit enterprises, and unless and until consumers object with their wallets, these businesses can and should do everything they morally can to maximize their profits.

I think they have, as the points said above about micro-transactions and DLCs. I know that DLCs existed for a long time now but the fact that you need to buy some to see the rest or ending to a story is unfair to a lot of players though.

but I think I'm just still mad about Javik being a DLC character in Mass effect 3. =3=

I used to think so, but honestly given how cheap games are and the massive budgets going into them, microtransactions are a way to keep the lights on and help keep some studios going. This article is probably a little older now, but I believe a lot of the stats in it to still be mostly true still. Factor in marketing and development costs, we're getting the better end of the deal kinda. Microtransactions I don't like, I don't have to buy or partake in like Battlefield's instant unlocks. Are some companies partaking in anti-consumer like practices in doing so like KHuX and Overwatch? Sure, but we're (or the whales at least) are funding more and more of these kind of events and practices.

Definitely, especially when they release DLC for the price of a full game and it barely has any content.

Definitely, especially when they release DLC for the price of a full game and it barely has any content.

Yeah or they release basically all outfits and characters as DLC all the time and hardly offers any package deal for it (and when they selling announcing voices for moba/multiplayer stuff, like wth bruh).

Anyways, ended up deleting FE Heroes on my phone, for now at least. I mean sure if you are new to the game you can get plenty of orbs and stuff, but when you've played awhile and don't pay every now and then it's trash. And it's way too competitive with all the +/- IV stats and the bad ratio when (re)-rolling as well.

Back