• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

samurai jack season 5 ending thoughts

uh

• a great ending

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • it was fine

• could have been better

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • disliked how it ended

• disappointing

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • haven't watched the ending yet

• don't plan on watching it

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters

idiotdoomspiral

=__=
Apple 🍎
Persimmon 🍅
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Island
Alyse
Pink Crescent Moon
Moon Bunny
Yellow Crescent Moon
Ocean Pearl
Oarfish Head
Oarfish Body
Oarfish Body
Oarfish Tail
Silver Moon Jellyfish
Red Super Star Trophy
i've heard a lot of mixed feelings on the ending and i don't really know how many people on this site like samurai jack so this will be interesting for me
i personally feel like it was good but it could have been so much better, but it was still satisfying. and i'm not gonna spoil anything so yeah
you could write what ending idea you wouldve liked since a few people have done that elsewhere but it would probably be best to put a spoiler on it or anything relating to what happens

Last edited:
Oh hey, I was actually thinking of starting a thread about this too. lol

I have very mixed feelings about the ending. I thought, for one it was far too rushed and wasn't as satisfying as it could have been.
I have EXTREMELY mixed feelings about Ashi's death. On the one hand, yes it makes total sense that without Aku she wouldn't exist but it felt like a waste of her entire character arc to just to have her fade away at the last after how much she changed as a person and everything she went through.
And because the episode was so rushed I didn't have time to properly process what had happened and mourn her passing.

In my opinion this wasn't like another movie I recently saw (Not going to say what it for spoilers, but my favorite character died) i felt that death was absolutely necessary, and even though it was bitter sweet, the story simply wouldn't have rung true without it.
And it was handled beautifully. It was the perfect way for this character to go out and the aftermath was the most beautiful part of the movie.

Here I didn't feel that way. I find the whole thing a bit of a waste that now the entire canon of the original series has now never happened. Many of Jack's friends may not even exist without Aku's future. I kind of wish that jack had defeated Aku in the future and not gone back to the past at all. Or maybe there could have brought in the idea of separate timelines instead, where everybody in Aku's future began to rebuild and Jack and Ashi went back and started another timeline without Aku. which I feel like would have been the best of both worlds. hehe

Another reason I feel so mixed about it is I really felt like after everything Jack went through, he deserved to finally have some happiness and love. Ashi was perfect for him in every single way.
But I also feel like I could have accepted it better if the episode was executed better and not so rushed

Pardon my rant I just have a lot of feelings

i also feel like it was rushed
people say its bittersweet, but its definitely more bitter, since followers of aku would still exist and could attempt a revival or something in the future. when i first watched this episode i was confused to why ashi just transported her and jack to the past as i think a better outcome would have came from killing aku in the future
it would have been nice to see jack, ashi and their allies live in this where aku is no longer a major influence

Yeah, I loved most of the episode, but the ending ending felt like it was kinda sad just for the sake of it. I mean, I get why Ashi disappeared since Jack killed Aku before he could make her, but after everything that happened, and even though I don't really like Jashi as a pairing, that they deserved to be happy. All in all, it wasn't too much of a straight up bad ending, but I feel like they might not have had enough time to get all the story together so they had to go with a quick wrap up.

Also, I swear, as soon as the Jashi started happening I got this fear that they were going to kill her off just to have this "sad Jack" stuff happen. :U

Oh hey, I was actually thinking of starting a thread about this too. lol

I have very mixed feelings about the ending. I thought, for one it was far too rushed and wasn't as satisfying as it could have been.
I have EXTREMELY mixed feelings about Ashi's death. On the one hand, yes it makes total sense that without Aku she wouldn't exist but it felt like a waste of her entire character arc to just to have her fade away at the last after how much she changed as a person and everything she went through.
And because the episode was so rushed I didn't have time to properly process what had happened and mourn her passing.

In my opinion this wasn't like another movie I recently saw (Not going to say what it for spoilers, but my favorite character died) i felt that death was absolutely necessary, and even though it was bitter sweet, the story simply wouldn't have rung true without it.
And it was handled beautifully. It was the perfect way for this character to go out and the aftermath was the most beautiful part of the movie.

Here I didn't feel that way. I find the whole thing a bit of a waste that now the entire canon of the original series has now never happened. Many of Jack's friends may not even exist without Aku's future. I kind of wish that jack had defeated Aku in the future and not gone back to the past at all. Or maybe there could have brought in the idea of separate timelines instead, where everybody in Aku's future began to rebuild and Jack and Ashi went back and started another timeline without Aku. which I feel like would have been the best of both worlds. hehe

Another reason I feel so mixed about it is I really felt like after everything Jack went through, he deserved to finally have some happiness and love. Ashi was perfect for him in every single way.
But I also feel like I could have accepted it better if the episode was executed better and not so rushed

Pardon my rant I just have a lot of feelings

I know what you mean, the way this ended almost feels like one of those "surprise, mofos! It was all a dream! So all those characters and plots you were so invested in never even happened! The end! ;D"

i also feel like it was rushed
people say its bittersweet, but its definitely more bitter, since followers of aku would still exist and could attempt a revival or something in the future. when i first watched this episode i was confused to why ashi just transported her and jack to the past as i think a better outcome would have came from killing aku in the future
it would have been nice to see jack, ashi and their allies live in this where aku is no longer a major influence

Exactly. There wasn't enough sweet to make up for the bitter. Really I feel like the only reason they actually needed to go back to the past was because of the theme song (gotta get back back to the past samurai jack) If it wasn't for getting back to the past being such a strong theme in the original I really didn't think they needed to go back at all.
I agree in that I wanted them to stay in the future and help rebuild the world without Aku.

That's where my parallel timeline preference comes into play, that way everyone in the future w/Aku timeline still exists and starts to recover while Jack and Ashi go back in time and start a parallel timeline without Aku.

Or at least if you are going with the bittersweet ending, it needed to be 2 parts. There just wan't enough time to make if feel right.
Once again, pardon my rant

I'm a mix of dislike and disappointed. Don't get me wrong I love Samurai Jack and season 5 was amazing, actually the first half of the finale was awesome too. But the ending was rushed and it didn't go as foreshadowed in I want to say season 3?

The vision of Jack as a long haired/bearded king.

But I'm glad we at least got this final season even if the ending didn't go as I hoped.

i remember that from season 3 too. its quite strange that it wasnt mentioned at all, and no clues alluding to it either

Yeah, I loved most of the episode, but the ending ending felt like it was kinda sad just for the sake of it. I mean, I get why Ashi disappeared since Jack killed Aku before he could make her, but after everything that happened, and even though I don't really like Jashi as a pairing, that they deserved to be happy. All in all, it wasn't too much of a straight up bad ending, but I feel like they might not have had enough time to get all the story together so they had to go with a quick wrap up.

Also, I swear, as soon as the Jashi started happening I got this fear that they were going to kill her off just to have this "sad Jack" stuff happen. :U

I know what you mean, the way this ended almost feels like one of those "surprise, mofos! It was all a dream! So all those characters and plots you were so invested in never even happened! The end! ;D"

Yes exactly! Nothing in the original series ever actually happening is incredibly invalidating. And I agree in that I feel like Ashi only died for 'jack pain' but I do feel that her death could have been pulled off in a much better way if that's the direction they wanted to go in.
I know a lot of people didn't like Jashi as a pairing and wanted it to be a platonic relationship.(And I would have been fine if it was platonic) But personally I really liked the pairing and thought it was really sweet! The whole episode where they first got together was excellent. (Although I was like you and started to fear for her life the moment that the love-dovey started being hinted at.)
It was nice to see Jack happy for once. For the first time in his journey he wasn't alone. And for the first time he was truly happy. I just really think that after everything he went through he deserved to keep that happiness.

I also think that it's really cool of you to support the pairing even though you didn't care for it!

Yes exactly! Nothing in the original series ever actually happening is incredibly invalidating. And I agree in that I feel like Ashi only died for 'jack pain' but I do feel that her death could have been pulled off in a much better way if that's the direction they wanted to go in.
I know a lot of people didn't like Jashi as a pairing and wanted it to be a platonic relationship.(And I would have been fine if it was platonic) But personally I really liked the pairing and thought it was really sweet! The whole episode where they first got together was excellent. (Although I was like you and started to fear for her life the moment that the love-dovey started being hinted at.)
It was nice to see Jack happy for once. For the first time in his journey he wasn't alone. And for the first time he was truly happy. I just really think that after everything he went through he deserved to keep that happiness.

I also think that it's really cool of you to support the pairing even though you didn't care for it!

Nice to know I'm not the only one who feels this way! I actually didn't really think about it until you mentioned it, but if no Aku means no Ashi then a lot of characters we got to meet and have Jack save are probably toast too. What a punch in the gut. :U

Yeah, I feel like I wouldn't have been as annoyed by Ashi's death if they had devoted more time to it. As it is it feels like it happened too fast and the episode ended before it could really sink in.

Well, I wouldn't say I support the pairing. I still wish their relationship could have been more like a father-daughter one since that's what I saw them as and thought it was heading to when their relationship started, but I do support the characters and would've preferred if the story had just let them be even if it's in a relationship over what happened. The fact that more mildly dislike the pairing rather then outright hate it like some pairings helps, too. d:

Nice to know I'm not the only one who feels this way! I actually didn't really think about it until you mentioned it, but if no Aku means no Ashi then a lot of characters we got to meet and have Jack save are probably toast too. What a punch in the gut. :U

Yeah, I feel like I wouldn't have been as annoyed by Ashi's death if they had devoted more time to it. As it is it feels like it happened too fast and the episode ended before it could really sink in.

Well, I wouldn't say I support the pairing. I still wish their relationship could have been more like a father-daughter one since that's what I saw them as and thought it was heading to when their relationship started, but I do support the characters and would've preferred if the story had just let them be even if it's in a relationship over what happened. The fact that more mildly dislike the pairing rather then outright hate it like some pairings helps, too. d:

well, even if you don't like or support the pairing you at least aren't fanatic in your dislike like some people can get. I also think it's cool that you can support the characters happiness regardless!

i actually haven't rewatched the original series in a long time so I don't remember the bearded-king-jack thing. But may I just say: Jack with long hair and a beard was fiiiiiiiiiiiine and I was sad when he switched back to his old look lol

i remember that from season 3 too. its quite strange that it wasnt mentioned at all, and no clues alluding to it either

If it wasn't for that missed opportunity I would've been very satisfied with the ending.

Ah nice a Samurai Jack thread! Was expecting one to pop up eventually xD

I too thought the finale was too rushed, my friend and I were talking about it and how we felt it would've been better if Jack stayed in the future and killed Aku. I know that Jack's goal the whole time was to get back to the past and reunite with his friends and family back home, but it would've been more powerful to showcase Jack staying in the future and rebuilding what Aku destroyed, and at the same time the friends he made in the future like the Scotsman would remain and help him. Ashi would've stayed as well, and she and Jack could have started their own family, if I should be so bold.

But honestly, I'm just glad that SJ finally has closure, even if it is bittersweet. I just kind of wished that there was some way that Ashi could've stayed with Jack, since Jack deserves a happy ending with all he's been through.

Last edited:
Back