• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Do you give way for emergency services?

Do you give way to emergency service vehicles on the road?

• No. They should be stuck in traffic, just like the rest of us.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

forestyne

Finally Left.
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
October Birthstone (Opal)
Flea
I saw an interesting video of how different countries around the world react to ambulances on the road. It shocked me that most, if not all countries don't give way to an ambulance that has its sirens on. Here, most people do let emergency services (but only with the sirens on) pass on the road.

So, do you give way to police cars, firetrucks and ambulances on the road?

Last edited:
You mean there are countries where people don't give ambulances the right of way??? An ambulance getting to a person as soon as possible could literally be a matter of life and death.

I've been honked at before for yielding to an ambulance even in the usa though. Some people are so selfish it kills me

Im pretty sure its illegal over here not to give way. Which i def agree with

It's the law, so yeah, also even if it wasn't a law, that's somebody's life.

it's illegal to not give way for emergency vehicles when they have their blue lights and/or sirens going. they are allowed to run red lights (though obviously they don't just drive right out in an interchange and crash into cars but., like.,,,) and everyone else needs to stop or get out of the way so they can get through. as for the question uhh i dont drive but i always give way while walking or biking tho that doesnt really happen very often bc they dont drive on bike roads ...

personally ive never been in a situation where i myself have to give way, as i never cycle and i always walk on pavements, but when im in a car my mom always gives way and i think its a good thing she does otherwise i would be very Angry

It's definitely illegal in Canada to not give them the right of way. I've never even seen someone who didn't.

My mom had to be rushed to Boston in an ambulance when I was little, and if she had gotten there any later she most likely would have died. I think about that every time I see an ambulance and wish them good luck and safety.

I give way to emergency vehicles and block people off who think they're more important than emergency vehicles.

I believe it's against the law to not but I do either way cause they are more important than me going to the mall or something. They can't wait.

I don't drive, but don't get out the way (unless doing so would involve driving off a cliff or something) and you'll seem like a huge jerk and likely have your numberplate jotted down by the emergency services to be forwarded to the police.

Question to those who only said something along the lines of it being illegal....

If making way to emergency vehicles was optional would you still make way or not?

I would keep doing what I do regardless.

Question to those who only said something along the lines of it being illegal....

If making way to emergency vehicles was optional would you still make way or not?

same. Like I said a few minutes could literally be the difference between life and death

I'm really glad to see no one voted to say they should wait in traffic. I was about ready to lose faith in humanity. It shocks and disgusts me that anyone would believe they should just wait in traffic "like the rest of us" they could be on their way to save someones life.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I would keep doing it regardless too. For me it has nothing to do with it being illegal or not and everything to do with that they are literally on their way to an emergency, hence the name emergency services...

I ALWAYS move aside for emergency vehicles. The only time I would not move aside were if I was already out of the way.

It shocks and disgusts me that anyone would believe they should just wait in traffic "like the rest of us" they could be on their way to save someones life.

STOP JUDGING MY CHOICE OF WORDING

- - - Post Merge - - -

In a poll they did in London, one in six people said that they wouldn't give way to emergency services. But it's not because they're being ****ty people.

There are multiple ways to get fined when giving way in the UK. I think it's ?40 minimum if you move into a bus lane and ?60 if you go through a red light, even when trying to give way.

Obviously, the morally correct thing to do is to give way, or else you just look like a total d***head. I still give way even when cycling, because I don't want to die or anything, and my family and friends give way when driving.

Last edited:
Back