Pink Hybrid Cosmos
Yellow Cosmos
Yellow Lily
White Lily
Red Lily
Yellow Rose
White Rose
Red Rose
I have a daily initiative to catch an oarfish, and also realized it's not in my encyclopedia yet so I might as well go hunting for one and get a reward for it. But you see, I've been going up and down my beach for HOURS reeling in all the big shadows and all I've gotten has been sea bass. I know oarfish are rare but after over 3 hours it's starting to feel ridiculous. Am I doing something wrong? Or is there some trick to catching rare fish that I don't know about? It's April in my town, and they're supposed to spawn December through May. :/

Me too!!! I caught one the other day for the first time. I've been playing since release and never caught one. Then the initiative comes up the next day. I looked for hours. Never could find one. It's a pain!

You just gotta keep going til one shows up and try not to throw your game at the wall in frustration. Oarfish shadows seem thinner and longer than sea bass, hope that helps

I just caught one, finally. Took about 4 hours of straight searching. Definitely not worth it if I was just doing it for the initiative or for a villager request, but I'm glad I can tick it off on my encyclopedia. I saw a couple of sites saying that although they spawn at all times of day/night, they tend to spawn more often between 11am-2pm? Not sure if that's true, but I did catch mine at around 2pm in game. pain in the butt fish 0/10 do not recommend

Last edited:
I've found, with the rare fish, it's better to never actually look for them and then you'll get them. Haha. Like a lot of things in life really.

I never caught him and then once a villager wanted a sea fish sp I caught him one and it actually was a oarfish. Sonce then I caught it 5x

I caught two or three, I have one in Coco's house. It was a lot of work and I ended up getting it on accident without even trying to look for it. i'm sorry it took so long for you :/

They're rare until you're trying to finally catch a coelacanth. Then you get five of them in an hour. Getting one for the first time took a while though. I swear the game knows when you're trying to get something. I'm glad you finally caught one! :)

It was my 2-coupon initiative today and I just got one. It took about twenty minutes or so. What I do is scare away the small fish and occasionally save + continue to reset the ocean fish.

Just gotta be patient I guess. ;)

I've caught a few oarfish over the years I've been playing but not many, so if I get this as an initiative, well if I luck out with not too much time spent on it, great, otherwise I forget it.
My current one was a Giant isopod, easier to catch but this time nothing, & I tried for longer than I ought. (Island diving).
Going in & out of a building resets fish & bugs, I find I do that every now and again without having to think on it.

What I've started to do is scan in a figurine every day for those 5 coupons, sort of makes up for the initiatives I don't make.
Plus I do the easy initiatives with the alts as well.
The ac figurines were cheap a while ago in the UK, are again now (well some of them) under ?5 each - & I see they are discounted in the US as well. I use Rover a lot (If I know I am not going to plot reset) as he doesn't impinge on the game otherwise.
Either that or I scan in late evening when I know I'm not going to need Isabelle/whoever again.

Drats, I just realised my museum needs the oarfish too. -_-' And only a week left to do it. I'm screwed.

Do they show up in rain? It's raining currently in my town.

Oarfish are all day in your town's ocean, no weather or time restrictions, just has to be the right time of year (December to May).

Just focus on the big shadows, shoo away small fish and save + continue regularly to reset the ocean.

They're rare, but they never spawned rarely to me. I always caught them when I least expected to, like when I'm hunting for a coelacanth.

Back