• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Ariana Grande Concert Explosion

i reaaaaaaally dont like how the uk is just tolerating crap like this without doing anything to prevent a future attack or offense that could have been prevented

what do you think should have been done exactly so this would have been avoided? when security gets better in some places (like planes) terrorism moves to other targets (big events like sports games, concerts etc.) and then when the security there gets better it moves on to easier targets. this attack happened at the end of the concert when people were getting out of the arena and like, i get that this attack could have been prevented but it's not like people just accepted terrorism and decided to not have good security. it's a lot easier to find flaws w security than it is to have flawless security :\

i reaaaaaaally dont like how the uk is just tolerating crap like this without doing anything to prevent a future attack or offense that could have been prevented

There's not much we can do. They've made 5 arrests for terrorism offences since the attack, one wasn't related but the other four were. We can't kick out all Muslims because Muslims as a whole aren't committing terrorism offenses on the daily. In fact, Islamic State's teachings are against what their religion and the prophet tells them. I'd like to think that police are doing everything they can.

- - - Post Merge - - -

what do you think should have been done exactly so this would have been avoided? when security gets better in some places (like planes) terrorism moves to other targets (big events like sports games, concerts etc.) and then when the security there gets better it moves on to easier targets. this attack happened at the end of the concert when people were getting out of the arena and like, i get that this attack could have been prevented but it's not like people just accepted terrorism and decided to not have good security. it's a lot easier to find flaws w security than it is to have flawless security :\

It's likely that he entered from the train station into the foyer. I doubt there would have been security there. People were leaving, kids were being fetched by parents.

Apparently a woman reported a Muslim woman in the concert looking anxious, fiddling with her bag and looking back and forth to the foyer and smirking to herself, but security told off the woman reporting. But I'm not sure if this claim is accountable. Another man said that there were no security checks, no bag searches before going in.

this. i highly doubt they tolerate it like the op of the opinion thinks. unless they actually track his living down and bomb the huts they will probably continue attacking sadly. although they probably want him to be questioned and put them away rather than that in most cases.

There's not much we can do. They've made 5 arrests for terrorism offences since the attack, one wasn't related but the other four were. We can't kick out all Muslims because Muslims as a whole aren't committing terrorism offenses on the daily. In fact, Islamic State's teachings are against what their religion and the prophet tells them. I'd like to think that police are doing everything they can.

- - - Post Merge - - -

It's likely that he entered from the train station into the foyer. I doubt there would have been security there. People were leaving, kids were being fetched by parents.

Apparently a woman reported a Muslim woman in the concert looking anxious, fiddling with her bag and looking back and forth to the foyer and smirking to herself, but security told off the woman reporting. But I'm not sure if this claim is accountable. Another man said that there were no security checks, no bag searches before going in.

i don't think people should take the muslim woman thing very srsly like Dang people can b muslim and anxious at a concert, that doesnt mean theyre a terrorist maybe they just dont like crowds or lost their friends like ..., :\

i dont know what the security was at the concert so i cant really comment a bunch on that but my first thought is that security at concerts generally is stricter going into the arena than out of it, like when people are going out they never check if anyones got dangerous stuff. people should not be let into the place w/o being checked but at the same time i feel like it is really hard to completely stop these kinds of attacks. like, if he hadn't gone into the place maybe he would have blown it up by the way to the train station or w/e.
i obviously dont think it's good to let people into arenas with bombs but what i'm trying to say is that it is extremely hard to stop all the terrorism. crowded places will always be vulnerable and at risk for attacks. imo it's more effective and easier to try to stop terrorism before someone is out there w a bomb, like, by investigating suspected terrorists and checking ppl who look up how 2 make bombbs ir ppl who buy stuff like that. obviously that's not perfect either but :\\ i dont think there are any perfect ways to stop all terrorism and violenece

Police have said that he was part of a network. He went to Libya DAYS before he committed the attack. His father and brother have been arrested in Libya.

Neighbours have said to the BBC that they've heard him yelling quotes from the Quaran outside his home and hanging a black flag with words in a different language on it (srry that I don't know what language they speak). He's been reported to the police multiple times. It just baffles me that they DIDN'T ARREST HIM BEFORE CHILDREN, MOTHERS AND FATHERS, SONS AND DAUGHTERS, TEENAGERS, LITTLE CHILDREN AS YOUNG AS EIGHT YEARS OLD WERE KILLED.

Just appalled.

Here's my thing. I'm for not discriminating, but there's a reason we have instincts and jump to conclusions. If what you said is true, in my eyes it's no different than Christians dressing up and stalking around in white robes and pointed hats. Even if at the time nothing is going on, what you mentioned above and what i mentioned just now are huge red flags and people shouldn't be afraid to report it and police should act on it even if at the time it is nothing.

*autocorrect errors. Sorry if there's more I'm at work

Last edited:
Just curious, what would you like them to do to prevent a future attack?
Besides, of course, more strict check and security systems which I'm sure they will be doing from now on

i guess it is quite difficult to answer, other than better security, i feel like political correctness plays a huge role in this

(reasons if you want to read all of this)
there was the ignored case of the teenage girls being abducted by pakistani gangs. the police were more concerned about race relations more than the victims.
a witness saw someone looking suspicious with a bag (they also seemed to not understand english) and she reported it to security but they did nothing and they lectured her about how to not be a racist. one in four muslims sympathise with the motives of terrorists (i think this was about the london bombings)
terrorist attacks we just looked at and we didn't raise our security systems (to my knowledge)
we should not carry on as we did before and forget this and have a possibility of have it happen in the future again. people are scared to report suspicious activity relating to islam because they're worried they're gonna be called a racist, around 34% report this kind of activity so that means 66% of these cases could potentially be a terrorist attack. of course this is going to be difficult as not all muslims are bad, but that's what scares us to say anything: "not all muslims are bad".

Last edited:
Here's my thing. I'm for not discriminating, but there's a reason we have instincts and jump to conclusions. If what you said is true, in my eyes it's no different than Christians dressing up and stalking around in white robes and pointed hats. Even if at the time nothing is going on, what you mentioned above and what i mentioned just now are huge red flags and people shouldn't be afraid to report it and police should act on it even if at the time it is nothing.

*autocorrect errors. Sorry if there's more I'm at work

Saw it on BBC News at six. Reporters and police were at his home and talking to his neighbours. And I saw the police statement, as well as him travelling to Libya, on BBC news as well. The government has been thinking about scrapping the PREVENT program, but I think it's needed. Children and parents are grieving because of what that man did.

I'm just shocked that the police didn't see that as radicalisation and arrested him before he could go on to kill 22 people and injure another 100 odd.

i don't think people should take the muslim woman thing very srsly like Dang people can b muslim and anxious at a concert, that doesnt mean theyre a terrorist maybe they just dont like crowds or lost their friends like ...,
that could be a possibility, however it could be the other, even if the other is more unlikely.

i guess it is quite difficult to answer, other than better security, i feel like political correctness plays a huge role in this

there was the ignored case of the teenage girls being abducted by pakistani gangs. the police were more concerned about race relations more than the victims.
sadiq khan says that terror attacks are expected if you're living in a capital city, so we should basically let them happen
a witness saw someone looking suspicious with a bag (they also seemed to not understand english) and she reported it to security but they did nothing and they lectured her about how to not be a racist. one in four muslims sympathise with the motives of terrorists (i think this was about the london bombings)
terrorist attacks we just looked at and we didn't raise our security systems (to my knowledge)
we should not carry on as we did before and forget this and have a possibility of have it happen in the future again. people are scared to report suspicious activity relating to islam because they're worried they're gonna be called a racist, around 34% report this kind of activity so that means 66% of these cases could potentially be a terrorist attack. of course this is going to be difficult as not all muslims are bad, but that's what scares us to say anything: "not all muslims are bad".

Please don't spread misinformation. That quote by the mayor of London was taken out of context by Donald Trump's son. He later *in the interview went on to say that more work needed to be done to prevent terrorism.

**Sadiq Khan has said he believes the threat of terror attacks are “part and parcel of living in a big city” and encouraged Londoners to be vigilant to combat dangers.

The Mayor of London revealed he had a “sleepless night” after the recent bombing in New York, and said major cities around the world “have got to be prepared for these sorts of things” to happen when people least expect them.

“That means being vigilant, having a police force that is in touch with communities, it means the security services being ready, but it also means exchanging ideas and best practice”, Mr Khan told the Evening Standard shortly before a meeting with New York mayor Bill de Blasio.

Last edited:
thanks for letting me know, its kind of ironic how people can follow a certain crowd and i could critique that but also blindly follow the one i stand by the most

No worries. A lot of people get enraged by fake news, share it and create more uproar on the story, even when it's false. It's like when Sweden took down their Christmas lights one year because of technical difficulties, but a fake news outlet blamed it on Muslims. People didn't search it and instead just shared until it got out of control, the news site got money and the world believed the fake news story.

That specific quote was taken out of context by Donald Trump's son/son-in-law (can't remember which one) the day after the Westminster attack, calling out Sadiq Khan for supporting terrorism in a quote that was taken out of context and was said in early 2016. The internet's whack these days.

I'm glad to hear that she's okay. I had a friend in the attack, she's injured but alive. Only found out early this morning where she was.

glad that your friend is safe, wishing her a speedy recovery.

In Liverpool, during the vigil, a man came out with a baseball bat and a knife. Police quickly managed to detain him before any injuries occurred, though.

I admire their bravery for coming out in such a big crowd after the recent events. I've never been to a concert before in my life, and if/when I get the chance to, I'll be terrified.

Last edited:

lol sure 1 in 4 muslims think terrorism is good especially bc isis is performing genocide on shia muslims and killing muslims and middle eastern ppl way more thsn they kill westerners.
people might think that islam is the only true religion (like isis does) but the way you worded it makes it sound like muslims love terrorism and are enemies to The Rest of Us (lmao). believing that your religion is the true one and that other people are wrong and wanting to "convince" ppl 2 agree w ur religion is not compareable to commiting or supporting terrorism. what if i old u 100% of muslims and 100% of isis members eat food ..., really makes u think doesnt it #MuslimsConfirmedAsTerrorists

if people feel anxious about being seen as racists if they report ppl they could do some research (quick reading on wikipedia) about islam and then read abt radical islamic terrorism. calling the police on a muslim family celebrating a muslim holiday is racist, reporting someone showing signs of being an radicalized extremist isnt.

i agree that it is problematic and wrong to not look into suspicious people who might be planning on hurting others but weirdly enough people are allowed to carry a backpack or bag and not understand english. it doesn't automatically make them a terrorist and while i get that he might have acted in a weird way like .... there are thousands of middle eastern and/or muslim ppl in london every day who carry bags. checking every single one is impossible and rly Problematic
as with any other incident there will be signs that were missed because people didn't have the full picture and standalone signs like being anxious and carrying a bag aren't enough to start suspecting terrorism. idk about thst specific case but like...,, the police cant investigate every suspicious bag ever. /:

im not defending terrorists im just saying that youre being gross w your view on muslims

source 4 genocide thingy lel
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genocide_of_Shias_by_ISIL

- - - Post Merge - - -

In Liverpool, during the vigil, a man came out with a baseball bat and a knife. Police quickly managed to detain him before any injuries occurred, though.

I admire their bravery for coming out in such a big crowd after the recent events. I've never been to a concert before in my life, and if/when I get the chance to, I'll be terrified.

wait like the batknife person is brave or the people at the vigil?

The scary thing is, is that I was at an Ariana grande concert on Thursday in Birmingham. It makes me feel sick of the thought of that happening to me if it had happened at Birmingham. I really am sad about the tragic losses, rip. :(

im not defending terrorists im just saying that youre being gross w your view on muslims
alright so everyones cool and debating (i guess) happily and then you call me gross, i think doing that makes you less tolerant of other peoples ideas and kind of makes your extremely valid points look a little different now

- - - Post Merge - - -

of course im not saying we must check every bag, thats just overboard, there are definitely flaws in my opinion. for one we may develop a strong paranoia towards other ideas like any different religion or any different culture from ours which is obviously just racism
plus, with fake news we could just go back to 1930s germany and blame everything on the muslims this time around

Last edited:
No worries. A lot of people get enraged by fake news, share it and create more uproar on the story, even when it's false. It's like when Sweden took down their Christmas lights one year because of technical difficulties, but a fake news outlet blamed it on Muslims. People didn't search it and instead just shared until it got out of control, the news site got money and the world believed the fake news story.

That specific quote was taken out of context by Donald Trump's son/son-in-law (can't remember which one) the day after the Westminster attack, calling out Sadiq Khan for supporting terrorism in a quote that was taken out of context and was said in early 2016. The internet's whack these days.

u have 2 follow shakira law in sweden or u will b thrown into the abyss //::: $100% tru

no but srsly yeah people taking stuff out of context and twisting it so it supports their views is rly Bad. i hate how the area i live in is talked about as being a Problem Area that's dangerous to live in bc of crime in media. because, like, in real life sure there are problems but i have never felt unsafe or been killed when ive gone out in the "bad areas" at night but in the media it sounds like people are constantly fearing for their lives or something :\

i just think that we have our problems but u shouldnt use us as an out of cobtext example to spread ur propaganda about how x group of people is bad.

In Liverpool, during the vigil, a man came out with a baseball bat and a knife.

i think this happened in birmingham, and the man was also carrying a 'little axe and a big stick' in addition to the baseball bat and knife

Back