• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Have you had a non-PC game that just... crashes?

AnimalCrossingPerson

Please respect GDPR
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
New Horizons Token
20 Envelopes
Red Candy
Red Candy
Winter Mittens
Lucky
Holiday Candy Cane 2017
Timmy Christmas Doll
New Leaf Token
Isabelle
I've had a few console games crash without me doing something stupid such as disc swapping. The Simpsons Hit & Run (PS2) and Need For Speed: Most Wanted (2012, Xbox 360) froze somewhat frequently.

Currently I'm dealing with a brand new copy of PaRappa the Rapper 2 consistently crashing to the PS2 menu during the stage 4 cutscene. No idea why it's happening and there can be so few factors, ignoring the odds of a bad disc.

Any experiences of your own?

Do you mean have I had an experience where the disc itself froze or the console? I think I've had both. :) - but the disc freezing definitely happened the most on PS2. Somehow the freezing declined after that, I don't know if it's because of all companies improving both the discs and consoles, me being older and handling my games with more care, or both. XD

Last edited:
Disney Infinity PS3.

Game is poison almost broke my entire console!

Do you mean have I had an experience where the disc itself froze or the console? I think I've had both. :) - but the disc freezing definitely happened the most on PS2. Somehow the freezing declined after that, I don't know if it's because of all companies improving both the discs and consoles, me being older and handling my games with more care, or both. XD

I'm not quite sure what you mean. By the disc freezing you mean the game freezing? And how do you tell if it's the game or the whole system that's frozen when the PS2 has no means of acccessing system menus and such once in a game?

- - - Post Merge - - -

btw, is that actually your Switch ID? If so, that's so cool! XD

No. I doubt anyone has 0000-0000-0000. :p

- - - Post Merge - - -

Anyway, nighty-night. Expect any responses from myself to appear sometime when I'm awake.

all 0's is definitely possible for a Switch ID, but it probably belongs to someone who got the console before release (like a special nintendo person).

- - - Post Merge - - -

I'm not quite sure what you mean. By the disc freezing you mean the game freezing? And how do you tell if it's the game or the whole system that's frozen when the PS2 has no means of acccessing system menus and such once in a game?

If the game disc freezes on your console and on other consoles, then it's the game. If a perfect disc works on someone else's console, but constantly crashes on yours then it's the console. That's what I mean :)

Last edited:
I remember the PS2 version of Tony Hawk's Underground 2 occasionally crashing while saving, which seems to happen more often the longer I play. The worst part is, that the affected save data would end up being corrupted. Imagine the feeling I had when this happened to one of my character profiles with 2 hours worth of Story Mode progress. As a workaround for the unreliable saving system, I would duplicate the data I'd like to keep the most.

The disc I was using is in perfect condition, and my fat PS2 model doesn't seem to have any noticeable issue. Therefore, I would blame the game's coding for crashing without any apparent reason.

Last edited:
all 0's is definitely possible for a Switch ID, but it probably belongs to someone who got the console before release (like a special nintendo person).

Really? I'd expect some patterns to be completely avoided like with non-Switch friend codes.

- - - Post Merge - - -

And yeah, can't sleep - birds screaming like there's no tomorrow.

The title alone should have scared you away.

I regret buying it.

The glitch was soooo awful.
Basically, I was playing Monster U part of the game as Randall, and it was fun, except a slight humming sound, but eh, must just be the console working to play the disc or something.
It slowly got louder overtime, I didnt notice until it was pretty darn loud...and suddenly...ear piercing noise! Froze and crashed! Had to force turn off and unplug I think.

Tried game again, same thing.

Then...Then it spread like an illness until it affected the main menu of the PS3

I knew I was running out of time, so I rushed to the data section as the humming/buzz grew louder, searched for the data asap, found it, and deleted it just in time!

Thus, saving my PS3, and becoming a Sony hero.

Idk ok but its a true story

Last edited:
The glitch was soooo awful.
Basically, I was playing Monster U part of the game as Randall, and it was fun, except a slight humming sound, but eh, must just be the console working to play the disc or something.
It slowly got louder overtime, I didnt notice until it was pretty darn loud...and suddenly...ear piercing noise! Froze and crashed! Had to force turn off and unplug I think.

Tried game again, same thing.

Then...Then it spread like an illness until it affected the main menu of the PS3

I knew I was running out of time, so I rushed to the data section as the humming/buzz grew louder, searched for the data asap, found it, and deleted it just in time!

Thus, saving my PS3, and becoming a Sony hero.

Idk ok but its a true story

Have you gone mad?

Last edited:
Yeah used to own a pirate copy of Pok?mon Crystal back in my wee kid days.. yes it crashed :^)

Breath of the Wild completely crashed when I tried to just open a chest. I had to unplug my Wii U.
Your precious perfect game isn't so perfect :lemon:

Both Mass Effect 2 and 3 sometimes refuse to start. I wouldn't mind so much if the message didn't sound so smug about it " Do you own this game?" "Why yes I do it's in the gosh darn tray right now :)"

Disney Infinity PS3.

Game is poison almost broke my entire console!

I really wanted to like Disney infinity, and it even kinda worked for me! Until I tried multiplayer... You would not believe how many times I had to reset my ps3 because it crashed from trying to run that game!

Skylanders Giants, Wii U version. The game freezes after playing a few consecutive rounds of Skystones.

Last edited:
Just a li'l update, Trivial Pursuit for the Xbox 360 often freezes the system when displaying the main menu after quitting a game. I've since decided the Gamerscore just isn't worth it.

My console games go in an eternal cycle of 30~ hours-CRASH!-and then corrupt.

The only game that consistently crashes is Skyrim for my old 360. It crashes several seconds after the splash screens start up.

My old Need for Speed Underground PS2 copy is so scratched that it won't even load the ground anymore. xD
I don't think any of my old PS2 games ever crashed, but we always blew the **** out of the console before starting.

My new fancy 3DS XL does like crashing though, especially Animal Crossing...
This is the first time in my life that my DS ever crashed, really weird.

Back