• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

I know it's been discussed before...

EmGee

Crazy cat dad
Bells
... But why are there no pokemon based villagers and furniture. It makes so much sense, the franchise has been around almost as long as Legend of Zelda, is obviously more well known than Splatoon, and yet there are villagers for both of those games and not pokemon. It wouldn't be that hard to make a mouse villager that resembles Pikachu, or a frog from Greninja. Come on, Nintendo wake up here!

Maybe, they think it will make them seem like even more greedy cash-grabbers (even though it's pretty obvious), because pokemon sells, lol (I never really grew up with it and barely tried it, but I know a lot of people like it). If they put it in there, it definitely wouldn't be free.

Most likely has to do with ownership of the franchise and people not agreeing over what they want, money, etc. It would have been cool if one of the RV's was Pokemon themed, though, or maybe even several ^^

I recently saw a lot of people making some fan arts about pokemon villagers. They look curious and now i wonder why Nintendo take Zelda, Splatoon, MH and Sanrio and no pokemon.

Funny thing: I say a lot of villager themed pokemons except pikachu and i think mewtwo can be a cranky cat villager.

Last edited:
Game Freak makes the Pokemon games, but Nintendo owns the franchise. Unfortunately, the Pokemon Company owns the license, and the reason why it didn't make it into ACNL Welcome amiibo and Mario Kart 8 is part of the reason why they were surprised to see it made for Smash 4. It's because it's a licensing nightmare. I know Pokemon gets more fans than any other Nintendo franchise, but licensing is why you will never see them in games beyond the Pokemon series, even if Nintendo owns it through one of their companies.

Game Freak makes the Pokemon games, but Nintendo owns the franchise. Unfortunately, the Pokemon Company owns the license, and the reason why it didn't make it into ACNL Welcome amiibo and Mario Kart 8 is part of the reason why they were surprised to see it made for Smash 4. It's because it's a licensing nightmare. I know Pokemon gets more fans than any other Nintendo franchise, but licensing is why you will never see them in games beyond the Pokemon series, even if Nintendo owns it through one of their companies.

You are absolutely right. Nintendo owns the franchise, but Game Freak and the Pokemon Company actually own the games and characters. It's more difficult than you might think.

License stuff. But I wouldn't like Pokemon villagers since the whole universe is basically the opposite of animal crossing? I mean ac is animals as villagers. Pokemon is animals as friends you can battle with. Ac is very non violence. Not that Pokemon is violence it's just a different idea all together.

What if Animal Crossing takes place in the past of Pokemon, and the animals slowly devolve and the humans make them fight. Rose and Marshal combine their epicness to create Mew or something....

what was I saying?

... But why are there no pokemon based villagers and furniture. It makes so much sense, the franchise has been around almost as long as Legend of Zelda, is obviously more well known than Splatoon, and yet there are villagers for both of those games and not pokemon. It wouldn't be that hard to make a mouse villager that resembles Pikachu, or a frog from Greninja. Come on, Nintendo wake up here!

I imagine it has to do with licensing issues.

That aside, Nintendo has been giving The Legend of Zelda franchise a lot of love lately, very likely because of Breath of the Wild, and the numerous and recent Zelda anniversaries.

As for Splatoon, while it's not a long-standing franchise, it's been very successful, and I believe people on the Animal Crossing team also worked on that game. In a way, it makes more sense that Splatoon would show up. There's also both games' tendencies for wonderfully terrible puns.

Back