• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Pokémon Why dont people like X/Y? Opinions on sun&moon?

helenkeller

fecal sewage ♥
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
On my last thread I seen that some people didn't like Pok?mon X/Y.

I know these aren't even remotely new releases but why do people not like it? It isn't even the first time I heard anything negative about the games, honestly.

I seem really far behind in the game world, but I stopped playing the DS when I was 13, up until the DSI (when the 3DS just came out). I stupidly traded all my DS games and accessories to get my brothers iPOD 4th gen. (ugh)

I am going to get back into games.. I kept being hesitant every time at the store and turned away and bought, clothes, candles, or usual girly things.... And I even turned down buying Sun & Moon when it released, my bf could have bought it but it turned me off in some way..

Am I the only one who doesn't like how they changed the original pokemon? I thought they looked kind of dumb.

But I have alpha sapphire, and even though I have been on AC today, I know I am addicted.

Are sun and moon good despite the looks of it?

I honestly don't know if its worth learning new gen pokemon.

this is scattered but I'm like multitasking at the desk .-.

The handholding. That's literally the biggest issue. It makes the game too boring to play for me.

May I ask what that means? Hand holding? Is it because you cant use the c stick to move around and it makes it uncomfortable?

May I ask what that means? Hand holding? Is it because you cant use the c stick to move around and it makes it uncomfortable?

Oh, I mean that the game leads you to where you have to go and what you have to do next so much that it doesn't let you freely explore for yourself. It basically babies you and assumes you don't know how to play by telling you what to do.

Help in a game is perfectly fine for me but they gave you too much help that it ended up feeling like you were playing a tutorial the whole game.

Oh, I mean that the game leads you to where you have to go and what you have to do next so much that it doesn't let you freely explore for yourself. It basically babies you and assumes you don't know how to play by telling you what to do.

Help in a game is perfectly fine for me but they gave you too much help that it ended up feeling like you were playing a tutorial the whole game.

Isn't that the problem with games these days?

A long time ago, the major issue was the lack of direction. In games like Ocarina of Time, you have to figure things out yourself. Now we have the opposite problem. They tell you exactly where to go and what to do. Let's hope they don't screw this one up on Super Mario Odyssey. It's not worth playing a 3D Mario game when it's that easy.

I have noticed that. The games are way easier, I'm not even gonna lie and pretend I'm amazing; I'm still not done with Pok?mon red! I think the old ones really get your brain moving and the newer ones are pretty self explanatory as if only ten year olds are playing the game. It is totally dumbed down now and that's why I am looking for the older-ish ds pokemon games but I cant find them anywhere in my town, and if I do they're more expensive than sun and moon.

Isn't that the problem with games these days?

A long time ago, the major issue was the lack of direction. In games like Ocarina of Time, you have to figure things out yourself. Now we have the opposite problem. They tell you exactly where to go and what to do. Let's hope they don't screw this one up on Super Mario Odyssey. It's not worth playing a 3D Mario game when it's that easy.

You're definitely right. It's not just Pokemon games suffering from this but instead, a lot of the newer Nintendo games. I can't speak for Sony or Microsoft since I don't own their consoles or play their games but for Nintendo, their 3DS games have gotten painfully easy. I understand that they want to target kids but at least have a difficulty option for us that are older than seven.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I have noticed that. The games are way easier, I'm not even gonna lie and pretend I'm amazing; I'm still not done with Pok?mon red! I think the old ones really get your brain moving and the newer ones are pretty self explanatory as if only ten year olds are playing the game. It is totally dumbed down now and that's why I am looking for the older-ish ds pokemon games but I cant find them anywhere in my town, and if I do they're more expensive than sun and moon.

That's what I've been doing because I'm just tired with being disappointed by the lack of challenge in newer Nintendo games. I bought an R4 for DS games because I don't have the funds to hunt down used games on Ebay. It's illegal cause it's ROMs but whatever. It's an option for us poorer folk. I'd try searching hock shops for older games or even garage sales to find legit copies.

You're definitely right. It's not just Pokemon games suffering from this but instead, a lot of the newer Nintendo games. I can't speak for Sony or Microsoft since I don't own their consoles or play their games but for Nintendo, their 3DS games have gotten painfully easy. I understand that they want to target kids but at least have a difficulty option for us that are older than seven.

Sony and Microsoft do it too. It's not just Nintendo. But you're right. Nintendo does this more than the others. The only thing they are putting challenge in is the Zelda series (except Link's Crossbow Training, which is a joke of a game).

I'm thinking why they're making games easier is because of how older gamers have grown up. They always try to appeal to the younger ones, who may find the games too hard. But yes, Nintendo is finally listening to us. Zelda doesn't have motion controls anymore. SMO is going to be open-world like SM64. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe has double-items, missing characters returned, and battle arenas. Hopefully, they continue to listen to us over our demands.

Last edited:
For a lot of people, it felt too "simple". I do agree that some things were a bit too easy, but some of them were optional, and X and Y did introduce a lot of neat features. For some reason, some of these features disappeared in Sun and Moon. I hope they bring them back in the next one.

i personally liked x&y, it's an easy game so i don't have to think too much and it's relaxing. i agree with the handholding, there wasn't many things that had to get your mind turning. i love team flare as well.

sun and moon, however, it was like hand-holding to the extreme though. i'm trying to play through it the second time, and honestly i can't bring myself to. it just felt like a boring game to me, the story wasn't super riveting, i could guess the ending by the time i saw the character, and the tutorial + cutscenes were WAY too long, i got bored after the 5th cutscene. so personally, i really enjoy x&y a lot better than sun and moon.

By the time I reached the second gym my pokemon were over leveled and it stayed that way for the rest of the game, even with the exp. share off. It got too easy too quickly, also the battle mansion is early in the game and another easy way to level up pokemon. There was no challenge at all.

I didn't like the story line it had so much potential and what they gave us was...meh. I didn't even like Team Flare, they were probably my biggest let down, considering how good the previous villains were.
No decent rivals in the game. Also getting the Kanto starters right after the first gym is also ridiculous, like a little later on in the game would've been better.

The customization was nice though and I'm glad they bought that in, especially not unlocking it all at once.
And I do like some of the pokemon from the region.

honestly, I felt that X/Y, story wise and such, was extremely and utterly bland. Really, the features I loved were the super training, the pokemon amie, the minigames, battle chateau, and the graphics. I mean, I did love some of the story elements and references, yet, I felt that there were too many plot holes in a sense, and also the hand-holding was almost too much that I just really didn't like X/Y much anymore. Sun and Moon keeps me way more interested, even if there is some hand-holding, or as much, it doesn't feel as obvious with how they went, story wise, and the trials instead of the gyms.

I know they want to appeal to the younger generation, but those older gamers never stopped wanting to play. Like me, I could be like, 80 years old and still be in love with pokemon. Call me a die hard fan, but with something that kept my childhood going, and remained in it permamently, that's not something that would ever leave me, ever.

Sun and Moon were definitely worth it, in my opinion, since I absolutely love story and pokemon, rather than competitive play (although, I can get competitive with anything, like animal crossing, for some reason, as my boyfriend says) since I'm more into casual gameplay. Granted, I love fighting games, but, y'know.... Kinda want to not break anything, haha.

Finally, although I love SuMo, so far, I feel like nothing has lived up with how Black and White/Black 2 and White 2, had gone. I didn't really play the latter, as since I didn't have my dsi for a while, and had sold it for a bit. (Wanting to get away from games is very short lived) and I'd recommend it more so than SuMo, but perhaps because I always love isometric art. However, hardest game probably always will be between Red/Blue, and Emerald. lol.

My main problems with XY are that:

- There were 70 new Pokemon introduced (compared to 106 for Gen 4 & 155 for Gen 5). Part of the charm with Pokemon are getting to use new Pokemon to bond with. (This is also my issue with Sun & Moon.) With XY, this limited team possibilities since there were only a few for some types and made it really hard to have a team that won't overlap with someone else's.

- Mega Evolution: There was way too much focus on them imo. I feel like it took away potential new Pokemon slots. The most bizarre part was that Mega designs only went up to Gen 4 so no love for Gen 5 (my fav) & Gen 6. The majority of Pokemon who got Megas were already powerful to begin with. This is just me, though.

- Characters: This game introduced 5 rivals. Serena/Calem were considered your main rival but their characterization pales in comparison to past rivals. Calem's design felt lazy because the color scheme was so similar to Hilbert & Nate. (I have the same issue with Sun's design.) Shauna and Serena had the best designs but all the rivals were given little focus. I think Pokemon tried to handle too many rivals for this game.

- Plot: XY was incredibly weak plot-wise. Lysandre's intentions felt very lackluster in comparison to Cyrus and Ghetsis & N. The manga handled this so much better. There was very little after-story events to do but this is an issue with almost every Pokemon game.

- Soundtrack: Lots of the tunes were re-used in towns/cities. I liked that Gen 3-5 focused on giving each town/city an individual tune instead of having to share. I'm not sure why XY felt the need to go back to this trend but I suspect it's because of the game's limitations due to focusing so much on graphics.

- Hand-holding/Lack of challenge: Like other posters said, this game was incredibly easy even if you didn't grind. I have similar issues with Sun/Moon with this as well. Pokemon isn't a difficult game to begin with aside from memorizing things. I feel like this is the generation where Pokemon wanted to make it more kid-friendly than ever before.

On the plus side, it did add:

- Trainer Customization: FINALLY. I'm not gonna lie, I would have quit playing a lot sooner if this wasn't introduced. There are a lot of clothing options, 5 hair colors, and 2 skin tones (technically 3 but the lighter skin tones look exactly alike lmao | Sun/Moon fixed this by adding darker skin options)

- Graphics: No one can deny this, it's a huge deal Pokemon pulled this off & this style became the standard for future games.

- Pokemon Amie & Super Training: Both very cute and useful features.

There's prob more but those are the major ones I recall atm.

If you're debating on Sun/Moon, consider:

- Your favorite color: No seriously. If you like red/orange/yellow/pink/beige, get Sun; if you like blue/purple/green/grey, get Moon. Why? Because getting the other colors is a huge pain in the butt. You can dye your clothes with dye shops but they are very annoying to get bc it's offered to you randomly in the Festival Plaza. (My bf and I played the games blind without knowing this and our fav colors were reversed so I got Moon while he got Sun. My bf still hasn't gotten a blue dye shop despite playing since launch while I got extremely lucky and was offered a yellow dye shop early on.) Having clothing color limitation is honestly annoying.

- If you like Gen 1, you'll most likely enjoy Sun/Moon. There's a HUGE focus on Gen 1 in these games. If you're not a huge fan of Gen 1, you might get frustrated with the amount of attention and Pokemon available (mainly Gen 7 & 1).

- Long unavoidable cut-scenes. If you care about a Pokemon's stats, this will get annoying super fast bc there's no way to skip cut-scenes and most are very long with tons of dialogue (think ORAS). If you don't care about Pokemon stats & enjoy dialogue, this may be in your favor.

- Almost all of the characters have very good character development, especially Lillie. If you're someone who enjoys seeing characters change or lots of interaction, you'll enjoy the game.

- Festival Plaza: This is a really good feature & provides more to the game. It's very addicting and having FCs are very useful.

- Island Trials can be a hit or miss. It really depends on your personal taste. I personally enjoyed them but I can understand why others weren't too crazy about them. There are no gyms in this game.

- Pokemon: There's 80 new Pokemon this time, still less than previous gens but a bit more than XY. There's 18 Alola forms so again, I feel that it's taken away new Pokemon spots but they kind of grew on me a bit after time. Unfortunately, all the Alola forms are Gen 1 Pokemon; the concept is cool but limiting it to Gen 1 kinda takes away the fun imo.

Overall, I think Sun/Moon are worth trying out. I appreciate they made a huge risk of taking out gyms but I enjoyed the trials. I hope that helps a bit! :)

Finally, although I love SuMo, so far, I feel like nothing has lived up with how Black and White/Black 2 and White 2, had gone. I didn't really play the latter, as since I didn't have my dsi for a while, and had sold it for a bit. (Wanting to get away from games is very short lived) and I'd recommend it more so than SuMo, but perhaps because I always love isometric art. However, hardest game probably always will be between Red/Blue, and Emerald. lol.

Yassssss Gen 5 appreciation <3 Black and White are incredibly underrated. I absolutely recommend playing it. The soundtrack is A+, characters are great, lots of team possibilities, felt challenging, and the plot/pacing was probably the most powerful one to date. I will always love the sprite style over the current one.

I never played X&Y, so I don't know how bad it is, but I did play Sun & Moon.

I agree with you guys on some of the flaws, as I find the difficulty for the Battle Tree and Battle Royals to be unethical, but my biggest complaint is Lillie around the end of the game. It's not about what she become. It's about what she wears. And I am repelled by that.

It seemed really long and not much to really do. I also hated the new pokemon, some were alright, but it was hard to get six pokemon with different types and abilities. When theres a new region with new pokemon, I only have the new pokemon in my party so it was hard to choose.

The personal thing wrong with X/Y for me was the fact that it was released during the time I dislike pansear, but got a pansear into my team anyways.

i liked pokemon x and y, tbh i think i liked it better than sun and moon when it came to the story and gameplay. (although the characters are not memorable at all.)

i like the intro of sun and moon, with your avatar moving in and partaking in a culture. but gameplay wise the game was filled with so much cutscenes and handholding that the entire mainstoryline felt like a tutorial. for a game that was all about exploring on your own terms and having your own adventure, it was just about handholding your way to endgame. I thought XY was bad with that, but SunMoon just made it worse.

But one thing i love is the expansive character customizing with skin color, hair styles/color, eye color, and clothing. and i loved the clothing in xy so much better than sunmoon, although sunmoons style that took away the chibi character was so much better than xy.

and the winner of all this? Pokemon Yellow.

if nintendo wants to keep babying children with handheld games, set a difficulty level at the top. you got adults playing 3Ds in your japanese commercials, so of course nintendo cant say that all of their games are catered to children, so dont give us older players such easy handholding games.

Back