• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Any advice on losing weight?

in addition to all the exercise and dietary tips, the key to achieving any goal is perseverance, determination, a growth mindset and all that cheesy motivational ****!!! i believe in u!!

If you want something simple (I won't say easy because it's not) that doesn't require a gym membership or any equipment, then get into calisthenics (bodyweight exercises). You should check out the youtube channel Calisthenics Movement, because they're good about explaining the proper and improper ways of doing bodyweight exercises (good for preventing injury and unevenly developed muscles), and they explain how to do modified exercises for beginners, as well as more advanced moves.

I will say this, though, about losing weight and working out: 70% of the results you see are going to be from your diet, where 30% will be from the workouts you do. I say this because you'll never see the muscles you've developed if they're buried under layers of fat.

To keep yourself lean, avoid fatty/ sugary/ low nutrition foods, as well as foods packed with sodium. Instead go for fresh fruit, lots and lots of vegetables, greens, beans/lentils, whole grain breads and pasta (in moderation), and lean proteins like white fish. Lean red meat is fine, too, but only in moderation. You want to avoid unhealthy fats for the most part, but make sure you're still getting healthy fat in your diet.

I'd recommend learning to love avocados if you don't already; they contain more potassium than bananas (natural muscle relaxer that helps with soreness and also regulates your heart beat), vitamin A (helps keep skin healthy), healthy monounsaturated fat (keeps you thinking clearly and staying focused), fiber (keeps you feeling full for a long time), vitamin E (good for hair, skin and nails), vitamin C (good for skin and immune health), vitamin B6 (helps convert food into energy), vitamin K1 (good for blood clotting), as well as vitamin B9 (folate) which is essential for normal cell function and tissue growth. They also have a mild flavor, so they're good mixed into just about any salad.

You don't have to be a health nut 24/7. You're still free to treat yourself to junk food every once in a while, but just keep in mind that your body is a reflection of how you eat most of the time. Keep at it and you'll see results.

Don't do fads, first off. Juice cleanses are unhealthy (your kidneys clean your toxins, if you're healthy, and if your kidneys aren't functioning, you need to talk to a doctor or dietitian. You don't need to stop feeding yourself to be "clean") and I honestly would not trust any diet pills or aides if they aren't reviewed and approved by the FDA. (In the US. The FDA is not allowed? does not cover, I guess is a better word for it, vitamins and things like protein supplements which has been deadly in the past.)

I've noticed that I feel better when I ditch the scale watching, especially because I have been lifting and working on gaining muscle. Muscle is heavy, but I still felt pretty bad when I'd work out everyday and go to the scale and found out I was gaining weight. If you work out, try yoga! It isn't unmanly, or whatever. (for some reason, my boyfriend refuses to do yoga and his excuse is that it isn't masculine.) Yoga has tons of benefits but also just helps stretch your body out so you aren't as sore. Either take a class, or download a good app (I have DownDog, or something like that) where they can instruct you. Be sure not to overreach yourself when exercising. You can hurt yourself, even doing yoga, and can really mess up your body if you are lifting more than you should or lifting incorrectly.

Portion sizes were my biggest problem. I took way too much food and ended up having to stuff it all in or I'd just keep eating fast cause the food was good and then I'd be too full by the time it caught up with me, I had already overeaten.

I go by the rule of eating til you're 80% full. I also eat smaller more frequent meals. I wanna buy smaller dinner plates eventually to not make my plate look so empty. I naturally eat slow usually so I'm good with that at least. Eating slow is better so you don't accidentally overeat.

Losing weight is hard; it is. In order to be more successful and not go back to your old ways and gain it all back is to male a lifestyle change. That way it stays with you forever. Start small too. You don't need to start cutting this out and torturing yourself. That'll only make you wanna quit.

I've personally lost around 30 pounds since November. The simple answer is determination. It's also important to always be aware of your activity and food intake, do that and you should be just fine!

i know my uncle and his wife don't eat after 4 pm, that's all i can really offer, since everything else is already said.

- - - Post Merge - - -

they drink water if they're hungry. they eat a huge breakfast, and a mild lunch, and an ok dinner, like someone else had said before.

Eat less, move more.

Or liposuction. If that's a little out of your price range, you can achieve similar results with a bread knife and a hoover.

Advice from Barbie!
article-2239931-16419783000005DC-917_634x286.jpg

Just kidding, don't not eat, that's really bad. My only advice is to STAY AWAY FROM FAD DIETS. They don't work and can make you really sick. =]

Water fasting and military diet.
Water fasting is a bit risky but it cleaned out my system. Since I have depression, I always eat unhealthy. Drinking water cleaned my system. And despite being a bit fatigued, I felt refresh and somewhat happy. It also gave me a mouth gasm when I ate food again.

Remember that weight loss depends 80% on diet, 20% on working out. Additionally, making sure that the two are working together will speed up the process. I'm on a no (realistically, it's low) carb diet and when I stick to it i lose weight pretty easily. But don't tear yourself down if you end up not completely staying to whatever diet you set out. Set realistic goals and remember that its a process, but when you finally reach your goal weight, there's nothing better!

I find it easier to avoid overeating and or eating junk if I-
A) sleep a lot
B) stay out of the house for long periods of time to avoid temptation

also, as a self-proclaimed gym rat, I say just keep pushing yourself to go the gym until you feel weird if you don't go

Last edited:
Water fasting and military diet.
Water fasting is a bit risky but it cleaned out my system. Since I have depression, I always eat unhealthy. Drinking water cleaned my system. And despite being a bit fatigued, I felt refresh and somewhat happy. It also gave me a mouth gasm when I ate food again.

I'm pretty sure any kind of liquid only diet/fasting/etc is unhealthy.

Back