• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Any advice on losing weight?

Aronthaer

Back from Hiatus (3/18/22)
Cherry 🍒
Mango 🥭
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Switch
8145-7039-9800
Purple Star Fragment
Pink Star Fragment
The Bell Tree Fair 2020 Patch
Pink Star Fragment
Purple Star Fragment
Pink Hybrid Tulip
Pink Hybrid Rose
Pink Hybrid Tulip
Pink Hybrid Rose
Pink Hybrid Tulip
Hello everyone. It's recently occurred to me just how ashamed I am of my body. I am decently overweight and would like to lose as much weight as I can before and during the summer months. I'm going up to visit my girlfriend on the other side of the state late in the summer and I'd like to be more in shape for her. she's never minded my weight but I've always felt like an embarrassment to her. This is just one of those things I don't trust Google to answer for me. Have any of you ever had a diet or exercise routine that worked for you? please let me know if you have.

God Bless,
~Zach

P.S. if you need to know, I'm currently 5' 9" and weigh 195 pounds, putting me well in the overweight range on a BMI chart.

Exercise every day. Eat more healthy. There is no special catch to it. Good luck.

Unfortunately there are no special hacks to losing weight. At the end of the day, you need to change your habits - not just temporarily. I find if you force yourself on a crazy diet or a crazy exercise routine, you won't continue to do it after you reach your goal, and end up putting the weight on again.

For one eat well, and do not over eat. Stay away from fast food (once and a while is okay, I'm not crazy here). I also find not eating after 8pm is good for you.

Drink water too, no pop, no juice. If you want to add flavor into your water, throw in some lemons or oranges.

Lastly, exercise. It doesn't have to some crazy exercise routine. Even going for a brisk walk for an hour a day makes a difference.

Hi! I'm currently in the process of losing weight. Since January 18 I've lost 21 pounds, and I'm still losing ^^ let me tell you the tips that helped me!

The first thing to understand is that your main goal should change from wanting to lose weight to wanting to be healthier. Losing weight comes with it, and if you change your goal to being more healthy, it'll stick with you in the long run so you'll be less likely to gain anything back.

First, you'll have to eat healthy. I'd recommend watching healthy cooking videos on youtube to get inspiration for meals! Or not even healthy, Gordon Ramsey's videos on his channel made me really love cooking. After that find a local grocery store that has good, cheap produce (I use sprouts and recommend there!) and buy some each week. Start by making one healthy meal a week, then more, and another. Find what works for you.

What I ate when I first started losing weight was oatmeal for breakfast every morning with fruit, granola, and flax seeds. It's good to eat a large meal in the morning bc you'll be burning that energy throughout the day, whereas if you ate a large meal at night you won't burn as much of the energy bc you'll be sleeping. So definitely do big breakfast, decent size lunch, small dinner.

Another thing is counting calories. When it comes down to it weight loss is really just burning more calories than you take in. I recommend using the website cronometer because it's free and lets you know the nutrients of everything you're eating as well. You can also decide if you want to lose or gain how much a week, and it'll take your weight and height and decide the amount for you to consume a day. It sounds restrictive, but it doesn't have to be. If you work out as well, or just go for long walks, you can add that onto your cronometer. Those calories you just burned you can now consume. You'll end up with the same amount of calories you should eat in a day, but you got to eat a lot more ^^

Also, take progress pictures! You will feel so glad you took them once you start losing weight!! It'll be the best motivation!

Good luck, though! If you have any questions feel free to come to me ^^

**Also! Look up the nutrients of everything you eat. It'll help you switch over from unhealthy food to healthy!

Last edited:
Actually, what worked for me was counting calories. I cut my caloric intake to 1200 a day. I was still eating whatever I wanted, although I almost completely cut out all dairy without realizing it. I would count calories every day, and stay within or close to 1200 every day, except for one day. I would have one cheat day to go all out. Anyways, I lost over 20 pounds in a few months or so. Without any exercise.

I lost about 2 stone in about half a year without trying. I just became vegan which kinda pushes more vegetables and salads as your main meals. Although my bf also cooks from scratch a lot so fresh meals are probably an aspect of that that's helping.

Just thought I'd put this out there in case it helps you.

Aside from what's already been said, I'd like to mention something I heard once on a random TV show that I've always since remembered and actually found has some truth to it. So this person was essentially saying, 'when you next eat, take the time to enjoy your food. Don't scoff it down but take your time with each bite'. When I remember to do that, I somehow feel more satisfied afterwards, even though I've not eaten any less, so I'm less likely to go needlessly snacking afterwards.

I know it makes little sense, but for me there's something to it. I do have a habit of downing food, especially hot food, really quickly sometimes just because I don't want it to go cold. It's like an unconscious thing. Or maybe I wanna hurry up and resume what I'm doing, so I eat really quickly. It doesn't seem to satisfy the brain though so next thing I know I'm thinking, 'I'm hungry' again.

Eat lots of small meals. Although eating all the time sounds like completely the wrong idea, it will stop your body from going into starvation mode.

Keep a food diary. Go out for a walk. Stuff like that.

My husband and I do the ketosis diet when we want to lose weight fast. I'm happy to help if you have questions but the internet can be an amazing resource.

Calorie counting is the most important thing though. You can't lose weight if your intake is greater than your output.

stay away from sugar. like soda/candy/sugary snacks. and dont skip meals. alot of people tend to think that skipping meals = losing weight but all it does is just give you more stress/less energy/starve yourself. also, take your time when chewing/eating your food. food takes time to settle in your stomach then your brain sends a signal when you are full.

Drink a lot of water and don't drink soda/juice etc. if you're thirsty, drink water. If you're hungry or feel like snacking, drink water. Eat lots of vegetables and try to cut down on eating sugar like candy/etc. (kinda a no brainer). Good luck!

One thing that helped me was eating smaller portions. I would think about what I would normally put on my plate and then put a little bit less than my usual serving. I also don't drink soda or juice that often (maybe once or twice a month). The next thing I know is that the doctor told me that I lost some weight since my last visit.

Drink a lot of water and don't drink soda/juice etc. if you're thirsty, drink water. If you're hungry or feel like snacking, drink water. Eat lots of vegetables and try to cut down on eating sugar like candy/etc. (kinda a no brainer). Good luck!

I've heard that much of the time we think we are hungry, we're actually dehydrated and confusing thirst for hunger, so you're spot on about drinking lots of water. :)

I would also recommend at least some light weight lifting; if you don't have space/budget for a bench and barbells, then at least some dumbells. increasing muscle strength and stamina will help burn fat, will make you feel better about your body image, and will improve your health and fitness too.

like somebody else said, jogging or at least briskly walking every day also has huge benefits. it also burns fat, and improves stamina. reduces stress, and helps you get better sleep. brisk walking is underrated, it's easier on the joints than jogging, and if you do it for say forty-five minutes to an hour has tremendous benefits. i would figure out a loop in your neighborhood that's at least a mile long, you can probably walk it three times in 45 mins to an hour (or jog it once and slowly build up the distance you can go).

and as others have said, drinking water is huge.

eat healthy. less processed fats, no artery-clogging junk, ect. heck, go vegan if you're mentally able to. small portions and exercise are where it's at.

a great way of getting exercise is (don't laugh) playing boxing on wii sports. you don't need fancy equipment or anything to box, you can just punch air for an hour and burn off 600 calories! you could join your local gym or plan a home workout regime.

- - - Post Merge - - -

i'm unfortunately not the healthiest example of a vegan, i hate half a (vegan) chocolate cake today. gained 2lbs. cri

Last edited:
While we're on this topic, anyone have some advice on how to lose stomach fat? Like, what exercises/routines are best?

- - - Post Merge - - -

And smaller plates help it look like more.

also wait before getting more food if you still feel hungry. It takes a while for your stomach to process that you're actually full.

Last edited:
My best suggestion is drinking water. Someone told me that to lose weight you have to love water more than Michael Phelps himself, and that just stuck with me. Overall, trying my hardest to cut out the sugary drinks is what did it for me - I'm still working on it, and I still love lemonade and sweet tea so I drink those a lot more than I probably should... But I have absolutely no appetite for soda nowadays, which is a start!
On top of that, the way my body works, I get hungry 2-3 hours after a meal no matter what size, so when I can, I try to have 4 smaller-sized meals as opposed to 3 big ones. It helps satiate me and keep me energized for the day! :)

I hope this helped a little. also, I'm the same height as you, but a lot heavier - you can do it!

thanks for all the advice you guys! I know for a fact I don't drink enough, so the water tip is especially helpful for me! I don't drink hardly any sugary drinks (at most maybe 1 coffee a month if I'm having a particularly bad Monday) but I could definitely do with eating less and exercising more. thanks everyone!

Back