• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Rats as pets

Rattos as Pettos

• Total voters
Our 2 rat boys were born in an university lab. The university doesn't do animal testing. They teach future scientists how to take care of and handle their rats properly. We adopted them at 3 months old. They're adorable! My husband, grown son, & I love them. These are our first rats. We had pet dogs before but our last one passed in November 18th 2016, just over a year ago... we're still grieving her. We're just not ready for another dog but when we heard that 2 rats needed a home we thought we would take them. They're names are Nicodemus & Justin.

View attachment 212202

I do understand that rats aren't for everyone. I don't mind when people say they wouldn't have a rat for a pet. For us though, we're quite happy with our 2 fellows.

I mean, they're okay I guess, as long as they're clean. I don't really find rats cute but that's just my opinion.

I think they make great pets. I've had several, but the last one I had gave me ringworm xD I would love to have a few but I think my cat would mess with them too much.

Rats are very intelligent, clean and loving and make awesome pets. I had a rat named Monster who was just the best. Got on great with our cat, never did his business outside of his cage and was more loving than the majority of the pets we've had.

Monster often tried to climb up on our cat's back. Not very popular. lol

I love pet rats! Unfortunately I've never had any because I have cats and would need a separate room for their enclosure. But they're definitely on my list of pets I'd love to have one day!

theyre so intelligent and actually make great pets. my neighbour had one for a few years and it would just idk sit on his shoulder or in his pockets and cuddle.... i dont get why some people are scared of them or get disgusted :(

I love rats, I had two but one recently passed away. So I'm just with my old girl now
I've never bonded or loved a pet so much as I have with my rat Silver. She's been a big part of my life for such a small creature. The only downside to rats is they chew EVERYTHING, I've lost a laptop charger,phone charger,A few cables to my Monitors.
She's like a small sweet puppy. With age she's gotten way more snuggly and loving. The other downside I forgot is how short their lifespan is, It was heart breaking losing my other rat espically since she was younger than Silver. She always greets me in the morning and LOVES being inside whatever hoodie I'm wearing.

Oh my god YES I've had several pet rats as pets in the past! There very good company for people like me who get lonely easy and you can teach them to do anything they are physically cappable of. On top of that you can put them in super cute outfits :blush:

Everyone in my family seems to hate them, but I think they're the most adorable things on the planet.

My friend had pet rats when she was younger and they never bothered me. I just wouldn't buy any for myself.

I'm surprised I haven't posted on here! My parents keep a ton of rats and have since we first got a few when I was still in high school. I saw one at a pet store who was born without one of her eyes so I adopted her. We ended up coming back to get her a cage mate an hour later and at the time, someone was calling the store asking to take in two of his rats that he couldn't keep anymore. We ended up having four rats that day. Of course, the ones who were owned prior were very friendly while the other two were very skittish and scared. Ever since those four years ago, we've had quite a few rats in our possession. It just wouldn't feel like home if we didn't have a few ratties to greet us every time.

Back