• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Rats as pets

Rattos as Pettos

• Total voters

forestyne

Finally Left.
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
October Birthstone (Opal)
Flea
:p
Whaddya think of rats as pets?

Personally, I think they're amazing pets. Since I'm (extremely) biased, I thought I would get other opinions. Seems like everybody I come across who is above 30 dislikes them and thinks that they're weird pets. Someone once wrote on a photo of my rats that parents shouldn't let their kids get diseases and should buy them a dog so that they can be "normal kids". I mean, I suppose if I just got a dog I wouldn't have gotten 20 rats, a cat, a mouse, 3 hissers and a snake. I went to school two hours away from where I lived, therefore I was out all day and we were never able to have a dog. Only now that I'm being homeschooled is it even an option, but we can't afford one.

vermin or hand puppies, you decide.

- - - Post Merge - - -

that's enough posting for me, see ya next month.

They're great! I've had a few. I want another one so badly.

I had pet mice a long time ago and I'd love to have a pet rat too ;__; I think they're super adorable and SUPER SMART!! I don't get why people are so afraid of them? I know my mum doesn't like them because of their tails lol but idk if that applies to other people too.

I'd definitely get more pet mice/rats when I move out, but I probably can't because I know my cockatiel would be terrified of them 8')

I think they are fine, but I personally wouldn't keep one because their cages would need a lot of maintenance in order to keep clean.

I'm impartial only because I've never interacted with a pet rat. I bet they make great pets - I see so much love for them I can't imagine otherwise- but I have no first hand experience with them. Plus, I really like cats and dogs, I'd be concerned if I did get a rat that the bigger animals would hurt it if I left it out, and I hate keeping animals in cages.

Rats make amazing pets, and I do believe my rat was my soulmate (besides my husband). Without him I wouldn't be alive today, I've got his paws tattooed on me so he'll always be with me

never had a rat as a pet but i have no problems with them. i can totally see them as being sweet and lovable.

I'm not a huge fan of rodents in general as pets tbh.

I think it would be alright to have a small mice and such as a pet if you like hamsters and smaller critters ect. I would be scared if it was a large wild rat from the undergrounds though

I love rats. They make amazing pets, especially the females, I haven't had much luck with males, too sexually aggressive and not prone to bond with me. =[ But I had a double rex female and she was the sweetest thing ever, took naps on my chest when I got home from school and loved yogurt snacks. I miss her a whole bunch, I will get more someday but not while I don't have a place to keep them in a separate room from my snake, cause I think that would be like teasing him if he lived near what he knows as food and had to smell it all day. But they're definitely cute hand puppies and I love them.

I don't like rats, never have never will.

my sister had two boys once, i loved them both! they were so friendly and cute, one of them would run around my body and go on my shoulder. she let them go though because they were noisy, they didn't like the smell and they were planning on getting a dog.

My husband had a pet rat as a kid that he enjoyed. It was very docile and friendly from what I was told. I worked for a popular chain pet supply store for a very short amount of time. I mainly took care of all the animals and handled adoptions with shelters that advertised through the store. Most of the rats were pretty awesome. Very affectionate and quirky similar to ferrets in my opinion. However, I did encounter one that had a horribly aggressive temperament. So, he was sent back to the breeder. The place I worked for posed itself has having a lot of processes in place to work with reputable breeders for small animals but, after seeing what I have, I was glad my time was short and I would definitely advocate that anyone looks for rescues or breeders on their own not through pet stores.

I have a hamster that I call a rat, if that counts.

Edit: Oh and his name is Mouse.

Last edited:
Rats make amazing pets, and I do believe my rat was my soulmate (besides my husband). Without him I wouldn't be alive today, I've got his paws tattooed on me so he'll always be with me

THAT'S SO WHOLESOME OMG

My rats occasionally escape their cage just to see me and give me kisses.

- - - Post Merge - - -

id feed tgem to my dog

- - - Post Merge - - -

also my cat

bit insensitive but oki

- - - Post Merge - - -

My husband had a pet rat as a kid that he enjoyed. It was very docile and friendly from what I was told. I worked for a popular chain pet supply store for a very short amount of time. I mainly took care of all the animals and handled adoptions with shelters that advertised through the store. Most of the rats were pretty awesome. Very affectionate and quirky similar to ferrets in my opinion. However, I did encounter one that had a horribly aggressive temperament. So, he was sent back to the breeder. The place I worked for posed itself has having a lot of processes in place to work with reputable breeders for small animals but, after seeing what I have, I was glad my time was short and I would definitely advocate that anyone looks for rescues or breeders on their own not through pet stores.

!!!! this.

Chain pet store suppliers don't breed for health or temperament in any animals, especially rats because they don't think highly of them as animals (rats are often abused because of this mindset as well). Which is why pet store rats are often sick, aggressive and some even have neurological problems. Adoption is always best, whether you're getting a dog, cat, rat, hamster, rabbit, guinea pig, mouse, llama, whatever. Don't support the chain pet store industry.

I'll never forgive rats for the black plague.

Although they are pretty smart. Had a rat manage to take food from a see-saw style trap without getting trapped, and not even touching the lethal ones. Good on you, rat. Just keep s***ting everywhere, I guess.

I'll never forgive rats for the black plague.

Although they are pretty smart. Had a rat manage to take food from a see-saw style trap without getting trapped, and not even touching the lethal ones. Good on you, rat. Just keep s***ting everywhere, I guess.

Historians are now starting to accept as a fact that rats did not cause or carry the plague as far as it went; people did.

Back