• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

How do you like buying video games? (Digital vs Physical)

Digital or Hardcopy? DLC or no? How do you like buying games?

• Total voters
For the Switch I'm buying physical because of the limited system storage space, but I might eventually have to buy a good micro sd, they're so expensive though! I'd like a good one of 256gb but they cost over ?100 so it's quite an investment which I'm not sure I wanna make just yet.

If it's Wii U or Switch then I'll do basically anything to get it physically.
Butch u shud go digital tho
For the Switch I'm buying physical because of the limited system storage space, but I might eventually have to buy a good micro sd, they're so expensive though! I'd like a good one of 256gb but they cost over ?100 so it's quite an investment which I'm not sure I wanna make just yet.
ʜ?ʏ?ᴘ?ᴏ?ᴄ?ʀ?ɪ?ᴛ?ᴇ
Also I'm conflicted rn because I want to play Arms now and the file size of it isn't too big but I also want to just buy it physically when I wake up tomorrow. I'll probably end up waiting tho since I'm just too tired but it's silly of Ninty that I have to even think about this, a 2GB game shouldn't be a lot of memory for a console game.

Hardcopy all the way. I just don't trust digital copies.. especially since I have pretty bad luck with my devices. I would love to be the kind of person who can splurge on games. Y'know, preorder everything, get all the DLC, etc etc. But alas, I don't make enough money to do so.

ʜ•ʏ•ᴘ•ᴏ•ᴄ•ʀ•ɪ•ᴛ•ᴇ
Also I'm conflicted rn because I want to play Arms now and the file size of it isn't too big but I also want to just buy it physically when I wake up tomorrow. I'll probably end up waiting tho since I'm just too tired but it's silly of Ninty that I have to even think about this, a 2GB game shouldn't be a lot of memory for a console game.

I said that cause Puyo is cheaper on the eShop :D

And yes it's pretty weird that they did this, they could've at least made it 64gb or so, that would be more than enough if you only buy Nintendo's big games plus maybe Puyo :D

Hardcopies. I love holding it in my hands like a newborn child.

I prefer physical. Trade ins are a big reason for that, but I also love taking the wrap off and having that 'new game' smell
I just got a new copy of Persona 4, and nothing beats taking the wrap off of a PS2 game

I still buy some games digital though, but this is usually only if they're on sale (TLoU/Danganronpa 1/2 Reload) or if they're games that are PS1/2 classics that have been brought over to the PS3 and 4 (Persona 3, most Final Fantasy games)

I'm not a fan of digital copies (I've heard they corrupt easier?), and I like having an actual game that I can trade or share with friends later if I want, so I went with physical on the poll. I also almost never buy DLC because it's usually a waste of money, I'd rather buy another game than waste it on DLC to be totally honest.

Last edited:
i pirate them. ;)

i like buying on physical because if your console gets lost at least your games didn't

I like physical! the feeling of having something physical is just nice/less stressful to me. Digital can be quite stressful to me because I feel like there's so many things that could go wrong, such my losing the 3DS or the data. I know that can happen with both copies, but I feel more safe with a physical if that makes sense. Although i'm aware there's games that you have to get digital.

I prefer digital games because it allows them to become cheaper and easier to access. It is because of digital games that I own over 300 games on steam without having to pay more than 300 dollars on them. That's like 5 physical Nintendo games, and most of my digital games on STEAM are AAA games.

For that reason, I prefer Digital games. If I really want a physical game, I don't mind spending extra for a collector's edition. I would never buy standard physical games anymore.

hard, for ds if your ds breaks the game is gone, i think, i rather have a physical version. plus it's just fun to go to the store and get it.

Hm... I'd like to say physical because I'm afraid of data erasing my purchases, but I'm unable to drive and have no way to get a store that sells physical copies (they're all of the way across town!) so digital is my only option. It is nice to not have to deal with switching discs/cartridges.

If it has a physical copy, you can bet your biscuits that I'll be getting that version! As far as limited editions go, so long as its not some completely pointless bonus (and that I can afford it), you'll usually see me get a worthwhile limited edition. Also, if it has a good pre-order bonus, you can het that I'll get that too! I love physical copies, always have, always will!

I'm all about the physicals (if avaliable)! I love being able to stack them and just have the cases the games come with.

I was all about the physical copy up until recently. I think the convenience of buying digital games online at release is awesome, as is not having to change carts or discs ever. It is going to be a continuing trend so I am glad I have been able to embrace it even though I am such a collector of things. I do dislike not being able to sell games Im done with, so if it is something I am going to play through once, I might still stick with physical so long as it stays an option so I can Ebay the game when done and get some of my cash back. Games like Mario Kart though, that I know I am going to want to keep for replay value, I am cool with digital.

I picked the last option, I do prefer physical copies but I have a few digital titles on various consoles/steam because they were *free* (kind of, PS plus/Xbox gold sub) or very cheap.

I'll get collectors/limited edition copies of games series I really like otherwise standard physical copies.

It's kinda a mix.
I have mostly Physical Games for various consoles such as PS4 or Wii U. 3DS though I have a mix of Physical and Digital.

I'll always go for hardcopies. Digital is super convenient but I feel like the physical copy is worth more.

Physical copy has the case, cartridge/disc etc.
Digital is just a file. So if you do a cost analysis...you're getting "more" in a physical copy. If the digital was cheaper because all you do is just download it, then I would choose digital. But they are usually the same price (console games anyways), so I always go for physical.

Back