• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

How do you like buying video games? (Digital vs Physical)

Digital or Hardcopy? DLC or no? How do you like buying games?

• Total voters

MorphiGalaxi

Apple 🍎
Coconut 🥥
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Switch
0564-1162-9430
Bee Plush
Dino Plush
Clownfish Plush
Chocolate Cake
Sheep Plush
Hot Feather
Cool Feather
Pink Hybrid Cosmos
February Birthstone (Amethyst)
Cake
Just wondering what you prefer! Digital downloads, physical hardcopies? Vote in the poll and comment if you like on why you picked digital or physical.

*Feels bad for making a small typo in the poll*

Last edited:
This poll is going to get a lot of replies. Great topic idea!

I like all options so I chose the last one :D

Last edited:
I definitely prefer physical. Buying a game you've been wanting for a while at the store is such a great feeling.

Digital, I don't want to hoard anything physical that'll eventually break.

Peeling off the plastic wrap means everything

I have to agree, LOL XD

- - - Post Merge - - -

Digital, I don't want to hoard anything physical that'll eventually break.

Digital data can be lost and destroyed as well. I actually find that physical things will work as long as I keep them nice, wheres digital stuff Ive gotten has been data erased and glitchy no matter what I do. But digital can be easier to manage.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I definitely prefer physical. Buying a game you've been wanting for a while at the store is such a great feeling.

Yes, it is :D

Last edited:
Well, it depends on which hardware I'm using. Let's see...

On Wii U, PS4, and any other disc-based console, I'd favor more towards digital rather than physical. The thing is, a disc drive is a fairly fragile device. If you aren't super careful with it, you'll eventually cause it to no longer properly read discs. And then, you'd have to go through hoops to replace that peripheral, or even purchase another hardware. Unless if a physical copy of a game I want is significantly cheaper than its digital equivalent, I'd rather download the games.

On 3DS and Switch, I'm opting for a mix of physical and digital games. If I know that the title is going to take more than 3% of the maximum capacity of the storage media I'm using, then I'd rather have it physically whenever possible and cost-effective enough. That is, unless if I see myself playing the game regularly enough. I don't want to clutter my rooms with plenty of boxes, nor running out of room with my microSD cards.

On PC, it's practically impossible to obtain a physical copy since the day the digital distribution platforms (e.g. Steam) are popularized. As such, I'm stuck with digital download for the rest of my life. That being said, I do own a fair amount of physical games for that platforms, most of which were released before 2005. Although most of the desktops and laptops still come with a DVD/Blu-Ray drive, I can see the disc media being deprecated sooner or later.

If it's Wii U or Switch then I'll do basically anything to get it physically. Because Ninty needs to realize that 32 GB of storage on the system is too little (which goes down to ~27 from system updates and the like), ESPECIALLY when you release games on it like Xenoblade X (a 23 GB monster, so have fun with the rest of those 4 GBs, that's maybe just enough to get most of the Sm4sh and MK8 DLC :p). Yes you can just buy expandable memory, but data there can corrupt easier than the system's memory the more you use it and the bigger it is. And since you'll need a lot of it and to use it often, it's just a bad deal all around.

Otherwise on anything else, I'd still rather get physical games, but I have no problem getting it digitally if it's rare or overpriced.

If it's Wii U or Switch then I'll do basically anything to get it physically. Because Ninty needs to realize that 32 GB of storage on the system is too little (which goes down to ~27 from system updates and the like), ESPECIALLY when you release games on it like Xenoblade X (a 23 GB monster, so have fun with the rest of those 4 GBs, that's maybe just enough to get most of the Sm4sh and MK8 DLC :p). Yes you can just buy expandable memory, but data there can corrupt easier than the system's memory the more you use it and the bigger it is. And since you'll need a lot of it and to use it often, it's just a bad deal all around.

Otherwise on anything else, I'd still rather get physical games, but I have no problem getting it digitally if it's rare or overpriced.

Butch u shud go digital tho cause puyo butchris is 30 dolla on da ezhop

I prefer physical copies of games. Then I don't need to worry about having enough memory to store game data on the system. And if the system breaks, I don't want all of my games to be stuck on it. I only have a couple of Phoenix Wright games as digital downloads because that series is awesome and for some reason the newest entries weren't also available as physical copies. I did have to buy a new memory card for them though.

Computer: Digital since I have so many.. rip and since you can't really sell back the discs they just take up space.

All other physical though since you can use them more than once. loving them sweet LE's too.

Hard copies, though I forgot I play Steam a lot so....yeah.

It depends. I generally prefer hard copies for a game, but I will buy digital for convenience sake. For the 3DS I tend to buy hard copies to use Powersaves. You tend to find better deals on hard copy games anyway. As for DLC, I rarely, if ever, buy a "ultimate" edition that includes all the DLC for the game. It's way too much money and you never know if it's worth it. I bought a season pass for the first Injustice and missed out on 2 heroes that apparently weren't included... I also got the Halo 4 season pass and the maps kind of sucked.

Last edited:
Depends on the console for me:

• Wii U/PS3: It's either physical or digital for me. I am limited by my PS3's hard drive maxing out about 2 weeks ago and due to issues with my external hard drive I use with my Wii U.
  • 3DS: I have gone mostly physical up until I repurchased New Leaf on my original 3DS. Since then, I have considered going digital the rest of the way with it because the 16GB MicroSD I have in my New 3DS XL still has a lot of room still on it after installing 5 digital copies of retail games on it. The only games I may still go physical for are probably going to be mainline Mario and Zelda games.
  • Vita: I got a 64GB card for it yesterday, so that will certainly last me quite a while after switching from 8GB. I feel I will go mainly digital with the Vita for portability's sake. If I see a game I want for cheaper physical, I may just got for that instead.

I like to buy hardcopies usually coz i like having the box art and an instruction manual. But I've got some digital copies too and I may start buying more of those just for the convenience of not having to bring cartridges along somewhere and having to worry about losing said hardcopies...

- - - Post Merge - - -

I like to buy hardcopies usually coz i like having the box art and an instruction manual. But I've got some digital copies too and I may start buying more of those just for the convenience of not having to bring cartridges along somewhere and having to worry about losing said hardcopies....

Digital, but only because I don't like clutter and prefer to keep all my stuff to a minimum.

Although, when I was younger, I looveed physical games. I liked to organise them all into alphabetical order and go through all the instructions manuals mwaha (I was a weird kid okay)

I love hardcopies and I have a lot of them but now I can only buy digital because my 3DS is american but I don't live there

I immensely prefer hardcopy that way when I'm done with it, I can sell it. Plus you can get used hardcopies for a song! One of my ACNL cartridges only cost me $12. and my Codename: Steam was 7 something.
I buy both, there's a lot of eshop games that are only digital that I really enjoy.

Last edited:
Back