• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Do you ever wonder if the game "knows"?

Does the game "know"?

• Total voters

Nenya

I hope you dance!
Apple 🍎
Lemon 🍋
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Mystery New Balloon Token
Orange Heart Balloon
Hot Cocoa
Blue Hybrid Rose
December Birthstone (Turquoise)
Holiday Candy Cane 2017
Kapp'n Christmas Doll
Apple (Fruit)
November Birthstone (Topaz)
ぶ
Seriously, I've been wondering since I started playing if the game "knows." You know what I mean...

My latest wondering. I have a town with NO red, orange, pink or black flowers. EXCEPT, red (only) flowers keep showing up, at least one a day. Does the game know I don't want any red flowers, and it gives them to villagers to plant and annoy me?

Alternately, I'm hoping someone like Ehingen Guy is going to explain this logically, and according to breeding rules, or whatever they're called.

Ideas, thoughts, experiences, wild guesses?

Here's what I know about flower spawning: Along with the flowers you get from breeding pairs, each day one completely random non-hybrid will appear in a spot in your town. This 'wild' flower excludes dandelions and Jacob's Ladder - which are independent, and could each spawn in your town along with it.

Whether or not this flower will more likely be a color or flower you do not have... I cannot say for sure. But I do believe it is totally random from what I've seen.

It totally knows, I sorted my towns flowers and the next day theres a red rose in with the yellow roses. -_-

I believe the term is desire sensor. When a game knows what you're looking for and goes out of its way to make sure you don't get it.

Monster Hunter games have a particularly cruel desire sensor.

I think it's random but sometimes I wonder if the game likes messing with me. It seems to know what I want and purposefully NOT give me that thing, like the plot placement I want, the fortune cookie item I need, or the bug/fish I'm searching for. Curse you, fates!

hmmmm ive always just believed that it spawns randomly,,, but maybe it does 'know'

The work of the game is giving you everything you "need" in the game but sometimes not what you want.

Example: The Villagers.
When you don't have any Lazy Villagers and you have just 8 Villagers the ninth Villager that game will give you is Lazy, not because you want em, but because you need it.

So yes, in theory the game knows what you doing, but this have to do his work giving you everything he can offer.

It totally "knows". The fishing tourney today was all about catching sea bass and guess what I kept catching... Oarfish!!

It took me four months of digging up fossils daily to finally get the last one I needed for the museum. Four months to dig up a single Amber. RNG is cruel sometimes.

If anything, maybe the game can tell which flower(s) you don't have and makes them appear. Kind of like how when you're due to get a random villager it'll aim for a personality type you don't have in your town yet.

If that's not it, then I'm pretty sure it's just likely to be random. Red flowers showed up a lot in my old town too and wasn't trying to avoid them or get them (I had all the different flowers). My best guess is that red flowers are pretty common.

I know what you mean. I feels like the same thing with the furniture sets and it's always the one I need the most to complete a room. It's like the game knows that you're desperately searching for it, so every other piece is in store but that one. I even had to go as far to buy a moon from here because i was pretty sure I was never gonna get one in my old town. You guessed it, I never did. After that i've just been hoarding the moon around with me because i'm scared i'll never find it again when I need it.

yeah it definitely knows. i made a huge deal of capturing only golden beetles on the island, and soon, beetles of other species stopped appearing and more and more gold beetles started showing up.

Yes, the yellow flowers I dig up with a shovel out of spite every day :) Or the random spot pass move ins I get exactly where I just landscaped

Yes, the game knows...and it likes me! I will explain:

Lately I have been planning for the second character I am going to "create" at the end of the summer. I have been buying a certain theme of items and stashing them in the museum. Well, I've noticed for a while now that the villagers are giving/trading/selling me items of the theme pretty often! Cool, huh?

(Clap for me again, admins, I searched through 24 pages for this one!)

Last edited:
It knows I'm not nice mayor. I get the 'kindest' looking eyes and every screenshot I look mischievous.

Again, the game does know, and it likes me!

I started saving diplo fossil pieces a couple of weeks ago. (There are 5 of them.) I have had no success trying to buy three of them on TBT. Three days ago I dug up one piece I didn't have, yesterday I dug one up at my grandsons town, and today in my own town I dug up the fifth piece! See, it likes me! :blush:

Back