• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Empaths/High Empathy

nostalgibra

slave to the vaporwave
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Poptart Easter Egg
July Birthstone (Ruby)
Peach (Fruit)
Peach (Fruit)
Mother's Day Carnation
Mother's Day Carnation
Cake
Cake
Cake
Cake
What do you guys think about the concept of empaths? The topic has been coming up all over the internet for a few years now, and it really resonates with me because I've always known I feel much, much deeper than the average person and I'm very in tune with other's emotions. But I'm hesitant to accept the label because I don't want to a special snowflake, you know? Regardless, I know without a doubt I have high empathy. Are any of you guys empaths? Thoughts on the "phenomenon" of empaths?

I think I'm pretty good at reading other's emotions (or at least in comparison to those around me). As in, I'll note the way a person is feeling and act accordingly but my sister/friends don't note their emotions the way I do. Though I may be able to comprehend and understand their emotions, I can't exactly say that I empathize with them. (if that makes sense?)

I relate a ton. I don't ever ask people about it cause it sounds kind of silly if you aren't experiencing it. I definitely feel like I am one. I'm having trouble keeping myself grounded lately.

Last edited:
The word empath always makes me think of something supernatural, and I doon't believe in the supernatural. I think emotions are portrayed very heavily even with subtle body language and that some people are better at reading body language than others - just like some people are better at understanding equations or music or different spoken and written languages. But that's just my view of it.

That said, I dont think I'm especially empathetic. I'm not oblivious to the environs of others but I definitely don't feel confident that I can tell for sure what a person is feeling.

I have extremely high empathy towards that are kind to me, like my friends and my husband. Anyone outside of that realm I sometimes have trouble empathizing with

I totally feel like I'm an empath.. I've literally cried from just seeing someone eat alone. It's a good trait to have but it can be overwhelming to feel so much emotion.

I do have empathy, but I'm bad at showing it. I'm good at staying calm in a situation mostly because I'm just bad at the emotion thing. Not that I just can't comprehend it, but I'm just not incredibly emotional... does this all make sense?

Last edited:
I'm pretty good at showing empathy in some areas, but not others. For example, I've seen so much **** on the news I feel desensitized to it which sucks. All I can think of is "this world is messed up", say a prayer, and move on. However, if it's a friend, family member, or experience closer to home, I feel like I'm able to feel more empathetic towards them. I feel like I've been a little grey in the area lately.

I'm very empathetic. I think it's a very important trait to have, honestly. For some people it takes a while to develop, but it's there in everyone to some degree.

It's a natural human trait. Humans evolved to be like this.

It's a natural human trait. Humans evolved to be like this.

True, but having more empathy than normal is what I'm talking about. I know so many people who have trouble empathizing with anyone or even picking up on others' emotions whereas I can sense it so strongly that I feel like I'm being knocked down with what that person is feeling. It's a different experience altogether than just a basic level of empathy.

- - - Post Merge - - -

The word empath always makes me think of something supernatural, and I doon't believe in the supernatural. I think emotions are portrayed very heavily even with subtle body language and that some people are better at reading body language than others - just like some people are better at understanding equations or music or different spoken and written languages. But that's just my view of it.

That said, I dont think I'm especially empathetic. I'm not oblivious to the environs of others but I definitely don't feel confident that I can tell for sure what a person is feeling.

Oh yeah, I'm not at all into supernatural things. It's a bunch of mumbo jumbo to me. When I see people talking about empaths it's always tied to 'energies' and 'chakras' and whatever else. That's just silly. For me, my high empathy is just something natural like you mentioned, something I'm just able to pick up on like someone is naturally gifted at music.

I'm not very empathetic at all, that's why people think I'm cold and cruel which may or may not be true. I don't really know anymore.
That being said I do understand people's feelings, I just don't care as much anymore.
The world and the people in it have darkened my thoughts and emotions to the point were I feel like I am suffering, so I have lost myself and my empathy for others over time and it's getting somewhat better. I also see empathy as a weakness, it can be abused by other people and I have been a victim of this. It only deepens my disgust for people.

Sorry if that was overly negative.

Last edited:
im more the opposite, i dont feel a lot of empathy i think it is because of autism lol. i don't generally feel a lot about or for other people but that doesnt mean that i do unethical things, and i do feel bad for others but idk if that's empathy. even if i dont feel bad or w/e bc of sympathy or empathy i still understand that theyre feeling Bad (i just dont feel it w them) and i have strong opinions and feeligns about ethical stuff and morals+i know what im supposed to do and say (or not do/say lol) so it's not like im an Evil Person Who Loves 2 Hurt People Bc It's Fun.
i think empathy is good to have but too much of it would probably be a problem sometimes. idk, i think that as long as someone's an ok person to others it doesn't matter how much/little empathy they feel but i know that some people think that anyone who doesnt start crying when they watch sad videos on youtube is a heartless monster :<

I'm not very empathetic at all, that's why people think I'm cold and cruel which may or may not be true. I don't really know anymore.
That being said I do understand people's feelings, I just don't care as much anymore.
The world and the people in it have darkened my thoughts and emotions to the point were I feel like I am suffering, so I have lost myself and my empathy for others over time and it's getting somewhat better. I also see empathy as a weakness, it can be abused by other people and I have been a victim of this. It only deepens my disgust for people.

Sorry if that was overly negative.
wow I can really relate. People always see me as cold but honestly, I think sometimes they care too much about certain things.

I'd say I have high empathy but I choose the people who I'm going to empathize with.

I'm really sensitive, wouldn't even hurt a bug since it'd make me feel hurt inside. I don't really know. I'm a vegetarian and I find alot of things disturbing, and I don't like anyone suffering. Things really bother me easily and if someone is distressed I feel bad, and I feel like I want to help somehow and also guilty.

Last edited:
Personally, I feel Empathy is a learned trait.

Mostly because what you see in life would contribute to what you become as you grow older. :eek:

This all depends on the person though, some would have this as part of their natural trait, all depending to one's mind.

I feel Empathy is one of the most important traits a human can have. It allows one to understand another's feelings and help them when they are in need. :eek:

It allows us to also form powerful friendships and will be important as a parent in order for them to help their troubled child.

I always take a Person's feelings/emotions when seeing them alot, sometimes it has helped me befriend people who later became important to me in life.

Last edited:
i think having a sense of sensitivity is a good thing. and these days if you have any standards for basic human decency, then your automatically called "a snowflake" by those who don't have as much empathy although most people who use this word don't really understand where it originated from therefore don't know the context of it so alot of people who use that term, misuse it.

empathy is related to compassion which is a good thing. by being sensitive, you can sense things that a lot of others can't from the way people act, consistency and the way the world is. you pay more attention to detail which is incredibly crucial when it comes to important things and critical thinking. and when you know how to work your way with your sensitivity, you have better potential to be more intelligent. think of unemphatic people being the stereotypical jock. they act before they think, if they ever think at all. they only see the outside, but don't see an agenda, and because of their insecurity of being unable to see an agenda or not caring to see an agenda, they make up one while not caring whether its right or not. jobs don't hire senseless people for the important things.

I don't feel the need to empathize with someone else or for someone else to empathize with me tbh
Never heard of an empath but it sounds like a special name someone good at readings emotions decided to give themselves

i have very high empathy towards a lot of people
even fictional characters in a compelling story
but, i find it hard to emphasise with complete strangers

Back