• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

MLP: Discussion Is Magic

Part of the reason why Season 3 finale was because the writer (I think it was M.A. Larson) was denied permission to make it a two-part episode, which is why the pacing was all over the place. I stopped watching midway through season 5 because of all the sporadic breaks throughout the season got too annoying.

I heard Season 6 was extremely controversial, especially with the premiere and finale.

I don't understand why people like this show? Can someone explain the appeal? It seems like a really typical kiddish show.. I don't judge people who like it but I just really don't understand why so many adults love it. Please help me understand! :)

I don't understand why people like this show? Can someone explain the appeal? It seems like a really typical kiddish show.. I don't judge people who like it but I just really don't understand why so many adults love it. Please help me understand! :)

From what I can understand it's not totally childish. It started off that way but it changed a bit once they realized the fandom consists of MANY older people. Of course it's not SUPER adult orientated but you get the idea. Also, a lot of people really like the colors and vibrancy of it. A lot of people also just like the fandom because of how creative it is.

I haven't watched it completely yet, don't know if I will, but I have seen 1-2 episodes and it was alright.

I'm an adult who's super into childlike and kiddish things so I'm probably not the best to respond but honestly, it's kinda like the same thing as being into Animal Crossing? Most people would view it as odd to be into Animal Crossing because it's a "childish" simple easy game, not like a FPS or something hardcore like that. I'm sure people view you the exact same way for liking AC that you view people for liking MLP and other kids cartoons, it's all just down to perspective.

I found the show when a **** ton of trauma happened to me so it was my only way to cope, that was 7 years ago when I was 12. I'm 19 now and I still love it, there's just a sense of comfort about watching something where everything doesn't have to be bad like the outside world is. Any issues that take place in the show are immediately solved within 20 - 40 minutes. Plus the show actually provides decent friendship lessons; some people might already know but I can see it being beneficial to most people to see the influence.

Another thing I like about the show is it doesn't focus on relationships, only friendship. Most people seem to forget that it's okay to love friends in a platonic manner and be close to them and I feel like the whole message just re-enforces positivity towards that.

Edit:
Figured I'd also add in that the artwork in the show has been a massive influence on me too, the animation quality (for using Flash) is absolutely fantastic, as well as the style. And there's a lot of love and passion that went into creating it.

TDLR; it really just comes down to personal opinion and what you're into. The appeal is different for everyone

Last edited:

I've never understood the appeal either. I watched the original MLP (yes the 80s/90s one LOL) and LOVED it as a little girl. These newer ones, I don't know, the art style seems cheaper looking to me? Their bodies are skinny and strange. Then again I tend to think that about all the modern cartoons. They kinda resemble bucket filled drawings on MS Paint, where I grew up with Ed Edd and Eddy which I believe was a hand drawn cartoon. That quirky art style is what made it special and memorable to me.

Not hating on anything or anyone. Just thinking aloud really :)

P.S. What's a bronie lol?

Last edited:
I've never understood the appeal either. I watched the original MLP (yes the 80s/90s one LOL) and LOVED it as a little girl. These newer ones, I don't know, the art style seems cheaper looking to me? Their bodies are skinny and strange. Then again I tend to think that about all the modern cartoons. They kinda resemble bucket filled drawings on MS Paint, where I grew up with Ed Edd and Eddy which I believe was a hand drawn cartoon. That quirky art style is what made it special and memorable to me.

Not hating on anything or anyone. Just thinking aloud really :)

P.S. What's a bronie lol?

A brony is what some of the male fans of the show call themselves. There's also a name for females: pegasister. You don't have to use these names to show people you like the show. It's the same thing to being a Potterhead or Whovian.

We love animal crossing. That should be enough to explain:3

MLP is so nostalgic to me, I used to watch it when I was a kid in the nineties and I watched the newer mlp to see how much it changed/improved and man is it much better now lol. gotta say, my favorite pony is Rarity! I like everything about her from the design to voice/accent to fashion designing and she's also the funniest of the bunch when she gets dramatic.

luna_50x50__icon_smaller__by_generalhound-d7rc588.png

Has anyone seen the new episode (Episode 10) yet? What did you think of it?​

luna_50x50__icon_smaller__by_generalhound-d7rc588.png

Has anyone seen the new episode (Episode 10) yet? What did you think of it?​

It's really hard for me to resist watching the Canadian releases ;-; I prefer watching the episodes one Saturday at a time as God intended :lemon:
But just in case I give in..are there any uploads of it on dailymotion that are of somewhat decent quality? All the Canadian releases on there are just horrible with sped up voices and such.

i had a little phase of being a brony, but only because it was trendy at the time. i watched a lot of episodes and there were times where i enjoyed it but it was never really for me. i did consider myself one though and i made a lot of friends in the community

Last edited:
I enjoy the show and used to watch it regularly. I kind of fell out of it lately though, and stopped watching about halfway through season 6.
I think the first 2 seasons are the best ones by far and my favorite ponies are Twilight and Fluttershy. Fluttershy was basically me when I was younger, and Twilight is a more accurate representation of me now (Though I'm not quite as neurotic now, I certainly used to be)

It's really hard for me to resist watching the Canadian releases ;-; I prefer watching the episodes one Saturday at a time as God intended :lemon:
But just in case I give in..are there any uploads of it on dailymotion that are of somewhat decent quality? All the Canadian releases on there are just horrible with sped up voices and such.

We watched this Saturday's episode on YouTube and it was really good quality! Other than that we usually end up finding really nice quality versions on DailyMotion

My ponysona is finally a thing now
ponesone.jpg

guys what was the starlight glimmer x trixie ship called, again?

it's my second favorite ship under twilight x sunset shimmer (twishimmer?).

appledash is third lol.

Ok guys, so last night I watched some of Season 7, and I have some stuff to say.

1.) Twilight's Babysitting & Volunteer Spree - The episode where Twilight is asked to care for the baby (her niece) and the baby getting all upset about Twilight finally "screaming" at her kind of bamboozled me. I mean the baby wasn't listening, Twilight has been nice the whole time, and didn't come off as scary to me - just stern and disciplinary. All she did was yell, didn't even "punish" her, so I don't see what was so bad? Maybe it's just me, but I come from a strict disrespect-me-and-get-yelled at/put-in-timeout/etc household and all of my friends around me come from that as well (that's prob 'cause I'm from and in the South, lol). I was never "tapped" that much, nor always in trouble (despite how bad I was), I was quite spoiled, so for me to get weirded out by what happened in that episode is appalling - so I thought it was kind of a negative influential "lesson."

2.) First S7 Ep. - Starlight's Ceremony/Graduation: Why was Discord being such a ummm toolbag/"jerky" friend to Twilight in the Season's first ep.? He's supposed to be redeemed. He was acting ridiculous during Starlight's ceremony/party, and seemed like he never truly learned his friendship lessons. XD

3.) (There's probably more things I wanna talk about, but I can't think of them right now.)

guys what was the starlight glimmer x trixie ship called, again?

Idk these ships, lol - I rarely read stuff from the fanbase. The only ones I know are some of the straight ones: Rainbow Dash x Big Mac, RD x Lightning Dust, RD x Soarin, RD x Daring Do fan conventioon guy, lmao.

Last edited:
Back