• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Avocado toast or home owner

• Avocado toast

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Own a home

Votes: 13 68.4%

• Total voters

B e t h a n y

I hate pears
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Pear (Fruit)
The Bell Tree Fair 2014 Patch
The Bell Tree Fair 2013 Patch
Chocolate Cake
I'm sure many of you have heard the controversy over what Australian millionaire, Tim Gurner, said about millienial's spending habits. I'm interested to see what everyone's thoughts are on this.

"When I was buying my first home, I wasn’t buying smashed avocado for 19 bucks and four coffees at $4 each."

"They want to eat out every day, they want to travel to Europe every year. The people that own homes today worked very, very hard for it (and) saved every dollar, did everything they could to get up the property investment ladder."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...avocado-addiction-costing-you-house/101727712

Last edited:
Well considering I'm going to be a home owner next week I went with home owner of course!

I get what this guy is saying in the article and I think some of the comments near the bottom are people taking it a little too literally.

I know so many people, in part interactions with friends and coworkers, and also a lot of people's account activities because I work at a bank, who do spend $4-$8 on Starbucks every morning, spend $5-$10 on lunch every day. $1-$3 ATM fees every couple days. $20-$40 on either groceries, clothing, hardware, etc every couple days. On weekends it's not uncommon for me to see people spend $50-$200+ eating or drinking out. In the moment it doesn't seem like much but it really does add up and there are a ton of people who don't have savings because of these spending habits.

The guy in the article isn't saying that people who go to the grocery store and get their $2 avocado and $3 bread* that can make multiple meals are the ones making poor choices. He's saying the people who go to Panera for lunch and buy a $10 avocado sandwich every day are the ones making poor choices.

Last edited:
ppl are taking it too literally. he's just saying don't waste money on stuff you don't actually need lol

avocado is disgusting, why would you hate urself like that by eating it lol

is the question if i'd rather buy a house or an avocado toast? :I
or is it, like, would you rather save up and buy something expensive and useful (house) or spend your money on expensive habits that only last for a few moments (avocado toast) ??

idk what the question means but assuming ur on about which id prefer, i'd much rather be a home owner than purchase One Avocado Toast.
i think the guy was probably saying we live in a society where we buy expensive stuff we don't need but i don't see why young people going out for brunch every once in a while should affect whether young people can afford to own property lmao??
next it will be like '''millennials are ruining the avocado farming industry, those pesky kiddos and their finger spinners!!! back in my day we used to cry at oranges bc they were special,, har har'''

idk what the question means but assuming ur on about which id prefer, i'd much rather be a home owner than purchase One Avocado Toast.
i think the guy was probably saying we live in a society where we buy expensive stuff we don't need but i don't see why young people going out for brunch every once in a while should affect whether young people can afford to own property lmao??
next it will be like '''millennials are ruining the avocado farming industry, those pesky kiddos and their finger spinners!!! back in my day we used to cry at oranges bc they were special,, har har'''

The point of the article is that a lot of younger folks (and older people too!) go out every day for Starbucks and take out for lunch (and sometimes breakfast and dinner too) and don't have savings to buy property.

Going out once in a while isn't a problem, the problem is when someone sees their friends and celebrities going out all the time and living the high life. And honestly if you want to go out all the time and have no savings that's fine, but at the end of the day the people who can afford property are the ones who make most of their own food and otherwise live frugally.

And that's how I interpreted the poll. Do you prefer to buy things you don't need in excess or do you prefer to save up?

Um, it's called inflation. Our dollar isn't worth as much as their dollar was AND everything is getting more expensive. I hardly buy anything I don't need at all EVER and we still can't afford to RENT a home after bills and groceries, which mind you consists of lots of fruits and veggies to MAKE meals. Seriously, bitter old rich people make me angry.

Last edited:
Um, it's called inflation. Our dollar isn't worth as much as their dollar was AND everything is getting more expensive. I hardly buy anything I don't need at all EVER and we still can't afford to RENT a home after bills and groceries, which mind you consists of lots of fruits and veggies to MAKE meals. Seriously, bitter old rich people make me angry.

You also have a kid which makes saving so much harder. There are clearly a lot of factors at play but the point of the article is that a lot of people do spend money frivously because of what they see friends and celebrities doing and that shouldn't be ignored either.

I don't think avocado toast is the problem, I think he should have said Starbucks, because I feel like people really do waste their money there.

I mean, I don't know a lot of people who buy avocado toast. Starbucks though? Soooo many people I know waste 4 dollars a day on it.

Last edited:
I don't think avocado toast is the problem, I think he should have said Starbucks, because I feel like people really do waste their money there.

I mean, I don't know a lot of people who buy avocado toast. Starbucks though? Soooo many people I know waste 4 dollars a day on it.

I think that was kinda the joke. People really do spend $10 on essentially an avocado sandwich at Panera sometimes on the daily. But yes I agree he probably should've gone with Starbucks or other major expensive carry out.

Definitely "own a home". I don't work currently so I don't really have the ability to save a lot, but I do try to, not so much for a home right now, but for bigger things rather than little things (although I do treat myself). Right now I'm saving for when my husband visits me next month, so I'm trying to avoid spending on "avocado toast and Starbucks".

hands down avocado toast where are ur priorities people ?

I'm a millennial and I'm working towards buying a house now, actually. It is hard and you do have to tell yourself no when it comes to stupid purchases you really, really want to make in the moment, I say as I order a pizza.

the thing is that the australian property market is ridiculous. our 2-bedroom apartment costs $650 per week and that's pretty average. if you're closer to the city (i'm in a suburb half an hour out) it's closer to 1 grand a week. it's getting almost impossible for young people to break into the rental market, let alone own a home.

property prices in australia (particularly sydney) are so high because there are lots of chinese investors and baby boomers with investment properties - it's supply/demand which drives property prices up. the average cost of a family home in the suburbs (about an hour from the city) is $800,000 plus. i can't remember the exact figure, but these days the deposit for a home is about 10 years (ish) worth of savings.

my partner and i have resigned ourselves to renting forever unless we move out into the country and buy a really old place - even then you'd be looking at least at $300-400 thousand.

the thing about these articles is that the people who often make these comments are either boomers who had a far better property market who say things like "you have to work hard and make sacrifices" which is all good and well but the economy has changed to the point that it's almost impossible, or young people who were given a trust fund / grant from their parents or grandparents, put it into investment and built up a property portfolio from there. the average person doesn't get that. the average person also doesn't go on holidays all the time, buy smashed avocado on sourdough at a cafe, or waste their disposable income. if you're a low income earner like myself, living pay to pay, these sorts of comments are even more insulting. i haven't bought myself anything in months because i can't afford to. we spend the bare minimum on food. my partner can't afford to get dental work done that he badly needs. how are we supposed to buy a house when we have no money to put toward it?

these articles are frustrating because they're so out of touch with the reality of the situation for the average young person.
of course i'd like to buy a house - it's still my dream to own my own property where i can put up shelves, paint the walls and dig a veggie patch in the garden.

but if all i have is $10 to spare to treat myself with, then you know what, i'm gonna go buy some avocado toast.

Avocado is great, and I'll be damned if I'm about to give them up! Avocado toast all the way, and then when I slice through my hand trying to remove the pit my health insurance wont cover it and I'll be even MORE broke. =[

But I think it's funny how like whenever rich people shame millennials it's always like "if they didn't buy coffee everyday they could save money to get ahead in life", I can't afford to buy a $5 coffee everyday, every once in a blue moon, as a treat, I will buy myself a coffee. But even if I DID buy a coffee everyday, and stopped, the roughly $1800 dollars I would save IN A YEAR, would not help me buy a house. The $150 wont pay my house payment each month. I also don't go out everyday to eat, maybe once a week we'll go to dinner.

My money goes to rent, and groceries, and my phone bill, my insurance. Even with that I usually end up broke by the end of the month, no chance to really save anything to get out of my situation, so I just get to keep being broke until some miracle happens...

And usually these rich people who say all these things are older, people who grew up before the housing market became horrible, before THEY destroyed the economy, and before college was necessary but too expensive to afford. Everything is a catch 22 and it really sucks. Gotta go to college to get a job, gotta get a job to go to college, gotta have work experience before getting a job, gotta have a job to get the experience.

Back