• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Should I Buy Digital As Well?

Colton S

Bells
Holiday Candy Cane 2017
Tasty Cake
Purple Candy
Blue Candy
Green Candy
Red Candy
Yellow Candy
Jingle Christmas Doll
Pumpkin Cupcake
Okay people. I'd like your opinion. I have a physical copy of New Leaf, but I've recently become bored with my town and haven't played in a couple of months. I've thought about resetting, but I have so much into my town. I have many dreamies, a fully-paid off house, and a whole lot of PWPs. So, I remembered my $20 eShop card that I got for Christmas. I saw that ACNL is $19.99, and I have enough funds to cover tax and stuff. So, my question, to anyone who has both physical and digital: is it worth it? I appreciate your responses.

Thanks! :)

I have two physical copies and one digital copy. I personally like to plot reset, which I can't do on the ds that has my digital copy, because it'll throw off the time in the digital town, potentially causing me to lose villagers. Plus I don't like the idea of Nintendo being able to turn your ds into a paperweight and ruin all of your digital content.

That aside, there is one serious upside to having a digital copy, which is the ability to back up your town's data without a powersave. Plus you don't have to ever worry about a cartridge breaking or being lost.

Both have their pros and cons, but I still prefer having a physical copy.

I have two physical copies and one digital copy. I personally like to plot reset, which I can't do on the ds that has my digital copy, because it'll throw off the time in the digital town, potentially causing me to lose villagers. Plus I don't like the idea of Nintendo being able to turn your ds into a paperweight and ruin all of your digital content.

Sorry for my ignorance, but how does plot resetting affect the time like that? Doesn't ACNL run on its own clock?

Sorry for my ignorance, but how does plot resetting affect the time like that? Doesn't ACNL run on its own clock?

It does, but when you plot reset, you have to make a new character and can't set the time in game. Loading up an existing character to change the time makes the plot location permanent. So instead, you move the clock forward using your ds system clock, which alters the time in game for you. Since you can't temporarily remove a digital copy like you can a physical copy, you can't prevent the in game time from being altered.

I plot reset on my physical copies and if I do that on the ds that has my digital copy, it also affects the time in that town. I hope that made sense :U

I enjoy having a digital copy because I can bring a physical copy of another game and have AC always ready to play :)

It does, but when you plot reset, you have to make a new character and can't set the time in game. Loading up an existing character to change the time makes the plot location permanent. So instead, you move the clock forward using your ds system clock, which alters the time in game for you. Since you can't temporarily remove a digital copy like you can a physical copy, you can't prevent the in game time from being altered.

I plot reset on my physical copies and if I do that on the ds that has my digital copy, it also affects the time in that town. I hope that made sense :U

Right. I get it now. I always just thought of plot resetting as purely not saving and reloading the save file. Thanks! :)

That aside, there is one serious upside to having a digital copy, which is the ability to back up your town's data without a powersave.

New Leaf is a little different from other games. Restoring from backup will usually result in you losing your whole town. I think this also applies to Pok?mon.

it's so worth you can use your other file for tting or if you need stuff from the shops

Thanks to everyone for replying! I'm definitely going to buy it for a second time. I'm so ready to start fresh and maybe get some new favorite villagers. Honestly, restarting a game like this feels so fresh and exciting. This is way better than starting completely over on my current town.

also it's great for reseting i just restarted on my digital and got my "cycle" trash town to hold all my important things

I think it is always smart to have a digital copy if you're going to have two towns. That way, if you ever lose one of the towns, then you always have the digital copy to make as your full time main town.

I'm still confused by this? I have a digital copy and plot reset without changing my DS time.

Back