• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

What Do You Look For In A Map?

East Beach vs. West Beach
Either one would be fine with me as long as the layout of the beaches includes one long beach area and one smallish beach area. My current town has that kind of layout for the beaches that I wanted. I would like to try out a West Beach since I never gotten that before.

Pirate Beach (accessible only via wet suit) vs. connected
I never had a Private beach before in Animal Crossing New Leaf... I would probably prefer the Private Beach if it fits the beach layout that I want.

Center town tree vs other locations
I think either one would be alright for me, but it would depend on everything else that's laid out. Like the town hall, retail, etc. since I would be planning where to put paths and such in my town.

Re-Tail close to the beach dock or near Train Station
I would want Re-Tail to be close to the beach. Makes things easier to sell items from the island. Though... I don't have that in my current town.

Color of Train Station and Town Hall
For both of these I would like the blue colored layout.

Private Mayoral Estate - a place all to yourself with villagers far away vs. villagers nearby
A Private Mayoral Estate that is all to yourself with villagers far away. In my last town... So many villagers wanted to move near me it was making me a little frustrated. At that time I didn't know paths could help with that problem I was having.

Number of ponds
Less ponds as possible is the number that I want. But... I am not sure if this affects the number of rocks in one's town. I have like 3 ponds and sort of many rocks in my current town of Animal Crossing New Leaf file.

Beach ramp - horizontal vs. vertical
Either one is fine by me. I don't prefer one to the other.

Harvey's Campground ⛺️- Where would you prefer him to be? When you updated we're you happy or upset with the Campground placement?
Not quite sure where I would like that area to be placed. Where it is placed in my town is alright for now.

Last edited:
I like for each of my towns to look entirely different, so I guess I just look for a map that's different from what I already have. But as far as traits go, I like...

*As few ponds as possible
*Vertical beach ramps
*Either one large beach with both ramps on it (and a tiny one I just put flowers on and pay no attention to), or two similar sized beaches with one ramp for each
*Retail being close to the beach (so I can sell beetles from the island faster)
*Apple, orange or cherry as the native fruit (not a fan of how the others look)
*Either a winding river, or a very straight one
*Town hall is in the upper half of the town (partly because I like cedar trees to be around it)
*One large, isolated space to put the cafe in (don't like how it looks in the middle of town)
*Town plaza is relatively square shaped
*Easy to make a walkway around town
*Campground is out of the way and easily concealed (I put tons of trees around it so it seems like an actual campsite)
*Perfect spot along the cliff on the lower half of town for mayor's house (that way I can hear the ocean from inside my house, and no one can ever move in front of my house)

Not much of this really applies to my first town, though xD I had never played animal crossing before when I started it, so I just stuck with the second map I got.

- Location of the main bridge so I don't have to walk across the whole map at the beginning of the game
- Space open to build my house near the water
- Have my town-hall near the top of the map
- Entrance's to the beach (for example, how they're angled.)

Normally i like a straight river, and a private spot for my house,
a top left or right town tree, a pirate island, native cherrys, a fairly close retail to island dock, and last but not least a right sided harveys

East Beach vs. West Beach
East. My first ever town has a east facing beach so I've just grown fond of it!

Private Beach (accessible only via wet suit) vs. connected
I like both. One of my towns has a private beach for sure, but I can't remember if the other one does. I don't think it does. Anyway, they're both fine, but tbh I have no personal need for a private one.

Center town tree vs other locations
I like my town plaza being on the upper half of town! Though I do like how it looks when it's center as well.

Re-Tail close to the beach dock or near Train Station
Near the train station I guess. I also have no use for one near the beach at this point of playing, so train station! But I think you could make both of them work.

Color of Train Station and Town Hall
Brown

Private Mayoral Estate - a place all to yourself with villagers far away vs. villagers nearby
I like the idea of a private area for the mayor, but I've never been able to accomplish that myself haha.

Number of ponds
As few as possible, so one. Two is okay, but one is preferable.

Beach ramp - horizontal vs. vertical
I don't have a preference for this one, but I think horizontal might work a little better for me?

Harvey's Campground ⛺️- Where would you prefer him to be? When you updated we're you happy or upset with the Campground placement?
I think his campground is in similar places for both of my town (upper left near the town hall) and I really like that! There's also no pond in the way or any rocks, so I'm happy about that.

The most important things that I need:
- Less than 3 ponds. Any more and it gets too claustrophobic and difficult to landscape.
- Rocks in convenient places. I've had to reset before because of rocks directly in front of the train station and town hall.
- Long beach going north/south. East/west beaches (and rivers) are uncomfortable to fish in my opinion.
- Room for lots of PWPs. I love PWPs and need a map that has lots of open space.
- No good place for house. If there isn't any obvious place to put my house I'll just skip the map.
- Town hall, Re-Tail, and Plaza spaced out. I hate when they are all really close together.

Things that aren't needed, but I like:
- Apples as town fruit
- Circle grass
- Long north/south mostly river
- Southern-facing waterfall. It's really pretty and while I don't have it in my current town, I like it a lot.
- Re-Tail close to the dock so I don't have to go far to sell my bugs.

Enough room to line up my villagers.
One pond.
Cherry as town fruit.
Not a big river, a straight one.
Private beach being small or no split beach.
A bunch of other things that I said this map is good enough to and don't have but still love my town lol.

Back